Two unrelated questions

Started by Kyoujin, January 14, 2013, 02:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyoujin

Hello fellow players,

1. If a battle results in a tie, the cards venture do not return to the reserve pile, but rather, remain ventured for the next battle.  If the following venture results in a total value (3+) that would normally allow my opponent (or vice-versa) to draw cards, do they draw because of the total number of cards now ventured?

2.  If Sunfire's 'Controlled Burn' hits successfully, he is only allowed to attack from reserve for the remained of battle: correct?  Further more, If he has a power card placed on him and 'Controlled Burn' allows him to attack, if that Power card is a duplicate of a Power card I currently have, does one have to be discarded?  I believe the answer would be yes, but I wanted to check.

Jack

You draw based on the current round's ventures.

Controlled Burn lasts while he's in reserve. There is no dupe check after the card lands. For the next battle, assuming the power card is still there, it is considered a dupe.

Kyoujin

As always, thanks Jack.

I must say, I am surprised at the verdict regarding Sunfire.

Jack

The reserve part is still iffy, I could be wrong about it because of the EB and KC rulings. The "while in Reserve" portion is good enough in my books to have an explicit duration.

As for the duplicate part, I'm 100% confident in it.

BigBadHarve

MT specials are battle lasting only. So once the battle is over that character can no longer attack from reserve.

But I agree with you on the dupe factor. Because the dupe placed to reserve isn't usable until that special hits, then you get to keep it. It must be playable at the time of the discard phase in order to be considered a duplicate.

-BBH

Kyoujin

thetrooper27

Man, MT is a horrible card then.  I'd rather have a doubleshot. :P
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

Kyoujin

I can't believe I overlooked Sunfire for this long, honestly.  The guy is a monster in the back row.

I'm using "Hellfire Club Attacked!" to load him up with hits when he's able to use "Radiate Heat".  Atomic Flame is just ridiculous, as well.

halcyon1234

Quote from: BigBadHarve on January 14, 2013, 04:22:08 PM
MT specials are battle lasting only. So once the battle is over that character can no longer attack from reserve.

Really? I thought "while" was a duration.

MT isn't OPD, but it does state a duration. "While in Reserve".  Otherwise it would say "May attack from Reserve".  Once Sunfire leaves reserve, the duration ends, even if he's shoved back into Reserve.

(Again, unless there's an official meta rule or something, in which case that prevails over things like logic and the meaning of words)

Hotobu

Yeah it seems like it'd go beyond just that battle. The creators of OP had enough card making experience by then to know enough to make the distinction between remainder of battle and remainder of game. Also it seems to be like the card for Spawn that allows him to continue attacking the reserve. It makes no sense that it'd just be that battle.

Jack

The MT was given a duration of Battle in the meta ruling list.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Hotobu on January 16, 2013, 11:12:15 PM
Yeah it seems like it'd go beyond just that battle. The creators of OP had enough card making experience by then to know enough to make the distinction between remainder of battle and remainder of game. Also it seems to be like the card for Spawn that allows him to continue attacking the reserve. It makes no sense that it'd just be that battle.

It makes no sense? Welcome to the nitty gritty of Overpower. The same people who gave us the Four Freedoms Plaza and didn't think it was broken as written. :P 

There's unfortunately a severe lack of consistency, particularly when it comes to the duration of cards.

My favourite to gripe about are KC specials (Mole Man, social outcast).

They fall under the duration meta rule - OPD= Game lasting, non-OPD = battle lasting. Despite the text that states 'Until KO'd or may not be attacked.'

Likewise EB specials that state '...until this special is attacked.'

But nope, these cards aren't OPD and therefore must be battle lasting.

But wait! What about BR coded specials? (Leader: Freehold) They are not OPD, and their printed duration is worded similar to the KC specials... 'until KO'd'  Why does the rule apply to one and not the other?

Ugh. Don't get me on that rant. It's late and I should be in bed... :P

Hotobu

Quote from: BigBadHarve on January 17, 2013, 02:32:44 AM
Quote from: Hotobu on January 16, 2013, 11:12:15 PM

It makes no sense? Welcome to the nitty gritty of Overpower. The same people who gave us the Four Freedoms Plaza and didn't think it was broken as written. :P 

There's unfortunately a severe lack of consistency, particularly when it comes to the duration of cards.

My favourite to gripe about are KC specials (Mole Man, social outcast).

They fall under the duration meta rule - OPD= Game lasting, non-OPD = battle lasting. Despite the text that states 'Until KO'd or may not be attacked.'

Likewise EB specials that state '...until this special is attacked.'

But nope, these cards aren't OPD and therefore must be battle lasting.

But wait! What about BR coded specials? (Leader: Freehold) They are not OPD, and their printed duration is worded similar to the KC specials... 'until KO'd'  Why does the rule apply to one and not the other?

Ugh. Don't get me on that rant. It's late and I should be in bed... :P

That's why I think that particular meta rule is dumb.