couple more questions (allys and negates)

Started by breadmaster, March 08, 2011, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nate Grey on March 12, 2011, 01:48:34 AM
I've got a question here. If an opponent's character is hit with a GA special (ie Sentinels - Mutant Countermeasures), does that prevent the character from being defended by Activators?

Yes and no. The character who has been targeted by mutant countermeasures cannot, because they can't play specials... but a teammate may still defend them with specials and activators.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

So any activators that call up teammate defense will still defend the GA-hit person. So if you have Colossus' LO and Cable's AD (or even Nightcrawler's DZ - if played offensively (or if you still play it defensively, like we do  ;) ), they can all still defend the GA-hit person.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Thanks for the info guys. Very valuable stuff to learn now that I'm being exposed to people playing Battlesites for the first time.  ;)

Oh! Here's another! If a character is hit with an FD Special (ie Red Skull - Cosmic Cube), can the opponent still use Activators?

rucker73

yes but it is the reverse of the above rules.  You can't use any activators that say teammate on them.
"Wade! into action!"

Nate Grey

Quote from: rucker73 on March 12, 2011, 08:55:43 AM
yes but it is the reverse of the above rules.  You can't use any activators that say teammate on them.

Reverse of the above rules? Wow, okay, now my brain is fried.  ;D

rucker73

sorry I mean that Yes your character that is affected by Cosmic Cube or Soul Gem can still use activators, but you can't use any that require a teammate (Teammate Avoids or Attack made on Teammate is now made on other character)
"Wade! into action!"

breadmaster

another question regarding universe/double shots

can training, basic universe, and doubleshot cards be combined with anypower and multipower cards?

what exactly constitutes a duplicate double shot?  is it just the first icon, the first and second icons, or both icons and the required card text?

might as well throw in a question about the image inducer too.  it says teammate needs 5 any power to use.  the other cards say 5 or greater, or 5 or less...does this card require a teammate with a 5 stat on the nose?

The Dude

1-Training and Basic Universe (as well as teamwork) can be combined with Multipower or Anypower although this then declares the attack in the skill of the universe bonus on the off-chance that your opponent is using a single skill avoid of some sort. They cannot however cannot be combined the with doubleshots. (The difference probably being because the bonuses from the universe cards disappear so even with a multi it's only 1 Hit, but with a doubleshot it would be 2 Hits).

2-I know with Teamworks its only the first "to use" number that causes duplication. I honestly don't recall if its the same for doubleshots, but then again if my opponent wants to stick two doubleshots in their deck I'm probably not going to going to complain either way - lol.

3 - I would say the X-men image inducer should say "5 or less." Certainly if you've ever seen the original Classic Accidental Insert Version the "or less" text is present

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on March 12, 2011, 05:53:44 PM
another question regarding universe/double shots

can training, basic universe, and doubleshot cards be combined with anypower and multipower cards?

what exactly constitutes a duplicate double shot?  is it just the first icon, the first and second icons, or both icons and the required card text?

might as well throw in a question about the image inducer too.  it says teammate needs 5 any power to use.  the other cards say 5 or greater, or 5 or less...does this card require a teammate with a 5 stat on the nose?

For Training, Basic Universe (and of course Teamworks) Yes, you can use multipower and Any power power cards.

For doubleshots on the other hand, you can't. You must use the power card specifically outlined in the Doubleshot.

Duplicate Doubleshots are based on the requirement for the character to use and the teammate requirement.

The secondary requirement on the Image inducer means that anyone with a 5 or less in any stat may use it. (So anyone at all. ;) )  Of course, you still need the 6 energy to activate it.

Cheers!

-BBH

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:29:49 PM

Dude beat me to it!   ;)

-BBH

breadmaster

another few:

are you able to pass with power cards in your hand, or are you compelled to play them offensively?

what about specials that can be used for offense or defense?

if you've passed on an earlier turn, are you still able to play fortress of solitude/new universe, or is that now forbidden?

can you play a BQ defensively, then play the special you retrieve in one action?

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:29:57 PM

and here's another one regarding sue storm

her +2 venture per battle...does she have to survive the battle for this to activate, or is it active immediately?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on March 12, 2011, 11:26:31 PM
another few:

are you able to pass with power cards in your hand, or are you compelled to play them offensively?

what about specials that can be used for offense or defense?

if you've passed on an earlier turn, are you still able to play fortress of solitude/new universe, or is that now forbidden?

can you play a BQ defensively, then play the special you retrieve in one action?

No, if you have a usable attack in your hand, you must make it. You can't pass with power cards in hand to save them for defense.

Same goes for Specials that can attack and defend.

Once you've passed, you can't play anything. You can only pass again or concede. Defending is the exception, you can always play a defensive action.

BQs can't be played defensively. They must be played on your own turn.

Quote from: breadmaster on March 12, 2011, 11:51:00 PM
and here's another one regarding sue storm

her +2 venture per battle...does she have to survive the battle for this to activate, or is it active immediately?

Aye, that's the rub. She must survive for you to gain the +2 to Venture. Once she's gone, so's the bonus.

-BBH

rucker73

Question about passing with specials in hand...  would you have to play Beast's Acrobatics if it was your turn?  Or can you save it to play defensively?

"Wade! into action!"

BigBadHarve

Quote from: rucker73 on March 13, 2011, 08:52:56 AM
Question about passing with specials in hand...  would you have to play Beast's Acrobatics if it was your turn?  Or can you save it to play defensively?

Yes, that one you can. Basically, anything that affects your opponent or anything on his side of the table is an attack. Acrobatics doesn't affect your opponent so you can pass with it in hand. But if you had a negate in hand, you wouldn't be able to save it IF your opponent had a lasting effect in play.

I got nailed in a tournament with this one, because I was holding a negate in hand and my opponent had a 'Charm' in play and a heroes for Hire 11 placed. (the reason I was saving the negate.) That was it. I passed with the negate in hand, which could have been used to cancel his 'Charm' offensively. When he attacked with the 11 and I negated it, he called the judge for a renege because I had passed illegally. It cost me three missions. :(

Now here's where it gets tricky - Let's take that same scenario - negate in hand, BUT the character to whom the negate belongs has been locked down from attacking. You CAN pass because the hit/effect that's locking him down (by say a trick transport or something like that), even though played by the opponent, is on YOUR side of the table and ergo wouldn't be an attack to remove it.

This is the best explanation that was given to me when I was first learning, and got a little muddled in the distinction - In essence, anything that 'crosses over' to generate an effect on the opponent's side of the table is considered an attack. Whether it be a straight up attack, forcing a discard(s), subtracting from venture (but not adding to venture on your own score), manipulating missions etc - they're all considered attacks, and can't be played if you're locked down, and you can't pass if you have them in hand.

Placed cards, of course, are a different story. You CAN pass with an offensive placed card.

Also, once you've passed you cannot play any more cards on your turn. So even if passing with a negate in hand is legal, it's not legal to pass, take a hit, then on your next turn play the card to remove it. Once you pass, you are done. You can only play cards defensively.

-BBH

breadmaster

some follow ups to that point

1) you have an ally in your hand, but no specials.  you have a placed special you don't want to play yet.  are you compelled to play the ally?

2) what about activators that have an offensive and defensive special corresponding in the site?  are you allowed to pass with these?

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:29:15 PM

and another one

'opponent must discard 1 placed card of ______'s choice'

can this be used on the homebase and reserve?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on March 13, 2011, 04:03:01 PM
some follow ups to that point

1) you have an ally in your hand, but no specials.  you have a placed special you don't want to play yet.  are you compelled to play the ally?

2) what about activators that have an offensive and defensive special corresponding in the site?  are you allowed to pass with these?

and another one

'opponent must discard 1 placed card of ______'s choice'

can this be used on the homebase and reserve?

1) Yes. If the ally in hand is playable, you must do it.

2) Also no. If you have an activator with an offensive corresponding special in your site, then you cannot pass.

3) Yes. Anything placed to your opponents team, including the base. If it says 'target' must discard, then you can only target a character.

Cheers!

-BBH