Strange Game Mechanics

Started by Nostalgic, January 24, 2012, 06:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostalgic

Few questions for the panel...  8)

I was reading the "Guide to playing specials" and under the AD special it says, "Avoid 1 attack made with a Universe card" would stop a  Power card and a Universe card, a Power card and a Training Universe card, one attack from a Teamwork Universe card, an Ally card, or a Tactic card.  So are tactic cards are considered 'Universe' for the purposes of defense?

What happens if player 1 passes with attack cards placed and player 2 plays an HK special? (Target character must make as many attacks as possible "character's" team may defend.)

If you can't attack an opponent's last character due to a BJ special and you still have cards you can attack with in your hand do you have to attack their battlesite if they have one before you can pass?

Can ANY special card attack made from a battlesite (that targets a character) be defended by an  AD special that avoids an attack with an E, F, S, or (in some cases) I  icon? For instance could Prof X's AV Activated with his stat 4 character card be defended by Morph's AD?

If beyonder is used as an activator does he replace one of the normal activators or is he in addition to the regular activators.

Can an AD special that avoids an attack made with a power card avoid a CC special which says it 'acts as a power card'?

ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jack

1) This was back in 1997, so they probably put Tactic cards (Doubleshots, Artifacts) into the mix of universe cards. Unfortunately this does not hold anymore.

2) That's legal. Player's 1 passing means that he can't start attacks on his turn. Player 2 has control of the battle when he plays HK. This is all happening in the realm of player 2's attack.

3) Yes, you would have to attack the battlesite because it is still a target.

4) Yes but only for "contains an __ icon" ADs.
An even stranger case would be: Red Skull's BA played from a battlesite. Even though the attack is a 3S, it can be defended by Morph's AD because the Activator has an Intellect icon.

5) Additional: number of specials under a battle site = number of activators in a deck + (maximum) 1 Beyonder.

6) I'm going to say no. But I could be wrong. If it were a power card, then it could not be negated.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on January 24, 2012, 08:29:53 PM
6) I'm going to say no. But I could be wrong. If it were a power card, then it could not be negated.

I concur... it bugs me, because I always thought it would be a cool way to work around. I thought it'd really be cool if the CCs could be used after a Teamwork card, and also if they were recycled, on account of being "power cards" too, but alas - they are still Specials. I think they only reason they called them Power cards was to specify how they act - in terms of use for attack or defense.

Simply put, Specials that "act as a Power card" is only the case as a stand-alone observation. Relative to any other cards, it's still a Special (so, for defending against it, removing it, whether or not is playable because of an Event, etc).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

If you play 2 BC specials in the battle that one of your opponents frontline heroes is KO'd does the reserve have to skip 2 battles before entering?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jack

Based solely on the wording, I would say no. For both flavours of the card:

QuotePlay when opponent brings in reserve, reserve may not enter until next battle.
QuotePlay when opponent's hero is KO'd. Reserve must skip a battle before entering.

For the first one, in the odd chance you happen to play two of these (with a Morph), the reference to "next battle" is obvious.
For the second version, playing a second one would override the first one -- say there were other BC cards that skips 2 battles, let's call it BCx. Playing BCx, then BC, the BC effects will hold. Playing BC, then BCx, the BCx effects hold. Thus, playing a BC, then a BC, the BC effects hold and don't add up.

Quote from: Hypothetical "BCx"Play when opponent's hero is KO'd. Reserve must skip 2 battles before entering.