NJ and DoW

Started by breadmaster, April 07, 2013, 08:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

Great discussion guys.  To throw my two cents in, I would play this at home via Demacus logic.

It makes sense that NJ gets around Charm, perhaps even Soul Gem (either case), AV's and such, and it even makes sense that you would NOT get the bonus from your teammates BG (I don't like it, but it would make sense)... but the DoW limits the use of activators, so you wouldn't have access to the NJ for it to be unnaffected by DoW from your site until DoW was removed.

Shifting gears just a tad, I think there could've been another word in the text of the NJ saying "not affected by OPPONENTS special cards already in play."  Wouldn't that have been better?   
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

Demacus

Ahh, the word "Opponent's..."  Yet again you fail to find purchase where you should have been... You could have made a LOT of cards much clearer, had you only taken the time to actually show up, and not be inferred...

breadmaster

ah, something we can ALL agree on! :)

thetrooper27

This belongs in the errata thread I started.:)

Jack

My take on some of these scenarios, some of which may be summaries:

NJ's would allow for an activator defense (with DoW in play) because it completely ignores the DoW in play.

Exchanging for the NJ if it's in, say, The Outbacks, is not allowed if DoW is in play because the act of exchanging the Activator for a special is restricted.

If FD (Soul Gem) is in play, with Dazzler either: not targetted by the FD, or didn't play the FD (somehow), Pinpoint Laser can still be thrown by her to anyone on the other side. Again because the special completely disregards the special in play.

It obviously sneaks past a BJ (Charm, etc.), AH/CD or a CW (Illusory Reality) if it's already in play, it doesn't prevent it from being avoided by such cards. Very common tactic used to hit against lock down teams.

It doesn't pick up the +2 from a BG because it ignores it.

It cannot be shifted with Vertigo or EB specials either.

Living Costume doesn't work.

steve2275

Quote from: Jack on April 13, 2013, 11:15:15 AM
since you mentioned them
NJ still passes those if those if they were played before the NJ right?
and that is all i have to say :)

thetrooper27

Quote from: Jack on April 13, 2013, 11:15:15 AM

NJ's would allow for an activator defense (with DoW in play) because it completely ignores the DoW in play.

Exchanging for the NJ if it's in, say, The Outbacks, is not allowed if DoW is in play because the act of exchanging the Activator for a special is restricted.

If FD (Soul Gem) is in play, with Dazzler either: not targetted by the FD, or didn't play the FD (somehow), Pinpoint Laser can still be thrown by her to anyone on the other side. Again because the special completely disregards the special in play.

It obviously sneaks past a BJ (Charm, etc.), AH/CD or a CW (Illusory Reality) if it's already in play, it doesn't prevent it from being avoided by such cards. Very common tactic used to hit against lock down teams.

It doesn't pick up the +2 from a BG because it ignores it.

Living Costume doesn't work.

Jack,

1. If Dazzler was not the target of Soul Gem, could she still make the pinpoint laser attack, even though she isn't permitted to attack because of the Soul Gem?

2. Can you breakdown why Living Costume wouldn't allow you to avoid an NJ attack with Spawn's teammate?  Living Costume doesn't seem to be affecting the NJ, so the NJ wouldn't "ignore" it.  I'm a little confused on how that works.

Thanks buddy.:)

Jack

"Attack is not affected by Special cards already in play." translates to "ignore all special cards and attack". At least that's how I understand it:
Quote from: Meta #162If a card "cannot be defended" by a specific type of card then the opponent may not play any cards of that type during the defensive action of that attack (but cards which are already in play can be used). If a card "is not affected" by a specific type of card, then cards of that type may be used during the defensive action, but any cards already in play before the attack was made are considered not in play until the defensive action is resolved.

For #1: Soul Gem isn't in play, so there isn't the restriction that "Adam Warlock" and "Target Character" are the only ones who could attack or be attacked.
For #2: Living Costume doesn't directly affect the NJ but the meta rules say otherwise.

thetrooper27

So because Living Costume is being involved to play the card that would defend the NJ, it also is affecting the defense of it?

Jack

breadmaster

i disagree with it ignoring soul gem.  to bypass it, you'd have to have the effect before the card is actually played.  if that was indeed the case, it would bypass AVs too

Jack

I goofed, the action of throwing out the Special is restricted by the FD/AV. So yes, Dazzler wouldn't play it unless she was the target of the Soul Gem. However, she doesn't have to target Adam Warlock.