10 plus from DC - justa for fun!

Started by justa, October 24, 2017, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OP3

Loving your selection of characters justa.  Again, no one I had immediate plans to write up myself, but I'm so glad someone finally did the Shade.  One of DC's best characters right there, entirely thanks to Starman.

Zer0evil

Quote from: fennshysa on November 24, 2017, 09:58:09 PM
Ahhhh.. thank you. I didn't know any of that.

Wow! Captain Planet. I remember that one. It was on the same time as Pirates of Dark Water. Actually, Uncannyknack did a decent looking piece of art for the good captain. Maybe we should do that one justa?

I was mostly joking lol, but that IS a nice artwork for him.
"Excelsior!" - that one old dude who shows up in all the Marvel movies.

justa

;D  good one, Zer0evil!  personally, i was more a fan of Thundarr the Barbarian (on right before Dark Water).

but the real answer to your question is that the short run that Captain Planet had as a comic (which was not the same continuity as the TV cartoon) was put out by Marvel.  also, it was never considered a part of the Marvel continuity, either.  this is a DC thread.

updated Shade's Demon Control and Perpetual Shade per OP3's comment.

Zer0evil

Quote from: justa on November 25, 2017, 11:23:28 AM
;D  good one, Zer0evil!  personally, i was more a fan of Thundarr the Barbarian (on right before Dark Water).

but the real answer to your question is that the short run that Captain Planet had as a comic (which was not the same continuity as the TV cartoon) was put out by Marvel.  also, it was never considered a part of the Marvel continuity, either.  this is a DC thread.

updated Shade's Demon Control and Perpetual Shade per OP3's comment.

Oh, I did not know that about Captain and Marvel. Sorry for going off topic, this is the last time I promise! When can someone make Ace and Larry hero cards?

"Excelsior!" - that one old dude who shows up in all the Marvel movies.

justa

while camping out in my garage (still no house yet), I finally got around to doing a few more characters for DC.
but before I can post them, I need to figure out how to get the image into the post.  I used to be able to right-click and select "copy location".  ( I was using Firefox on a Windows 7 machine.)  for some reason, Edge & Windows 10 won't let me do that.
but coming soon...

IE still works.
not very much new here other than the characters.  I have generously borrowed (or stolen, if you must) mechanics from several different creators as well as legacy mechanics.  please consider it a consider it a compliment if you see your creation used.
as before, i'll post the character cards and a link to the specials.

first up, Vixen

Specials:
Battle Lion
Enhanced Senses
Ferocious Fighter
Power Replication
Rebirth
Tantu Totem
Tracking Senses

Atom Smasher

Specials:
Atom Smash
Flatten
Gentle Soul
Looming Presence
Mass Increase
Suicide Squad
We Need To Talk

and Gypsy

Specials:
Astral Projection
Covert Operative
Fear Projection
Illusion Casting
Invisible Rescuer
Precognition
Scrappy Fighter

let me know what you think.

(i finally learned how to do a URL - old dog, new tricks and all that...)

fennshysa

Cool.  I have never read a comic with Vixen or Gypsy in them. My only exposure to them is from the CW Shows. I like what you did with Gypsy (I"m assuming she's not a teleporter/breacher like on Flash, just based on the titles of the cards) She reminds me of a Jubilee but better. I like the teammate may avoid 1 attack and may not be attacked special. Nice!

I may have to explore your FY variation for Vixen. I like that!

I see what you mean about Atom Smasher's Inherent. Like it too! Some wild variations on the specials for him. Love the variation on the AM special. That works nice. The reverse of the NN special is a nice touch too.  The US special seemed excessive til i got to the end of it. Kinda neat! I wasn't sure about the KZ or UP specials either til i realized they were OPD. I think those would work to. Nice new stuff.

justa

and now I figured out how to do URLs, so I can link them (for those don't care for deviant art).

Tantu Totem is Muir Island's Genetic Research for 1 person instead of the whole team.  I felt it fit the stabilizing power of the totem.  she could access the morphogentic field (IA) without it, but the totem keeps her from going nuts from all the animal-ability adsorption.

as I said, none of my mechanics this time around are new.  some are straight legacy, some are ones that I've come up with and used before, and many are from people like you, OP3, Bios, and several others.  what took the most time was deciding on which mechanics/variations best-fit which characters, and matching the up to appropriate artwork.  plus making each character attractive to use in some capacity while not making the "too" good.

keep in mind the CW shows and other TV productions) produce their own versions of character for their own purposes.  to paraphrase what Seth Rogen said when asked about why Preacher was not like the comics - "~we tried to maintain the flavor of the comic.  but if you want the comic, go read the comic.  we're making a TV show here.~"  it seems DC comics has been altering some of the comics characters to be more like the TV show versions.  go figure.

a few more

The Royal Flush Gang

Specials:
Android Ace
Flying Cards
Fortune's Shuffle
One-Eyed Jack
Stacked Deck
Straight Flushed
Trouble In Any Suit

Pied Piper

Specials:
Army Of Rats
Arresting Melody
Distracting Blare
Master Composer
Questionable Ally
Sonic Manipulation
Time To Pay The Piper

Hugo Strange

Specials:
Clinical Research
Delusions Of Grandeur
Mad Obsession
Mental Manipulation
Psychoanalyze
Sociopath
Villainous Inspiration

edit - 3 more.

Elongated Man

Specials:
Brilliant Detective
Defensive Posture
Gingold
Sifting The Evidence
Standing Tall
Stretch Attack
Twitch Of The Nose

Black Lightning

Specials:
Company's Comin'!
Decathlete
Electrical Healing
Electro-Blast
Friends In Low Places
Fully Charged
Street Educator

Parademons

Specials:
Apokaliptian Armor
Boom Tube
Mechanomorphs
Sadistic Soldiers
Self Detonation
Shock Troops
Strength In Numbers

fennshysa

WOW!  That is an incredible amount of diverse specials and characters. I missed some of them til just now and haven't looked to closely at some because they are on my list for my next DC set.
I gotta say, you do a pretty good job as far as i'm concerned with balancing those new specials. A lot of times i'll look at one of you new special codes and think "that's way too much"  then if i consider how it's worded and how it will play i realize, "that could work".

The pig guy is really creepy. I've never read anything with him in it. Who is he usually a villain for? I liked the Royal Flush Gang. Interesting building/bluffing mechanic on the one set of the Creeper's Specials.

justa

keep in mind that not all of the "new" codes are mine.  besides mine & legacy codes/mechanics, I used other sources as well.  specifically, this group of cards includes mechanics from you, OP3, Bios, justabgkid, the MoE volume 1 set, and at least 1 that I can no longer identify (Piper's TA) that came from the old site that you used to post on way back when.  (I still can't remember the name of it, but it no longer exists as far as I know.)

Professor Pyg is another Bat-villain.  the majority of characters that I've done from DC come from Batman, Flash, JLA, JSA, and Suicide Squad.  I thumbed through the list of DC characters on comic vine, and selected ones that A) I haven't seen a complete version done before, B) that interested me above the others or were unique in some way, and C) had (at least semi-) adequate art for me to complete their cards.

I appreciate any & all feedback, be it good or bad, so thanks.

justa

I have a few more DC characters before I switch back to Marvel.

The Human Target
Not much to attack with in his Specials, but that's not his job.

Specials:
Another Face In The Crowd
Bodyguard
Exit Strategy
I Don't Impersonate - I Become
Loaded For Bear
Seeing Double
Target Me

and an old timer in comics, the Sandman Wesley Dodds.  (I specified Wesley Dodds to separate him from Morpheus and Flint Marko in my file system.)

Specials:
Brilliant Detective
On The Case
Prophetic Dreams
Sandy Hawkins
Stun Gas
Until Its Washed Away
Wirepoon Gun

Next up, the maven of meta-medicine, Doctor Mid-Nite.
I planned on the McNider version, but the Cross artwork was better.  Plus this way there's no Blowfish or Darius Rucker jokes.  And they are basically the same character.

Specials:
Blackout Bomb
Charlie
Enhanced Dexterity
Medical Gauntlets
Night Vision
Preventative Medicine
Super Surgeon

Hourman
This is the Rex Tyler version.  I tried to line up the Miraclo Special with how it worked for him in the comics (assuming an "hour" per battle, 1 battle per "day").  The initial 1 card advantage goes away quickly.  (Probably why no one has done him before...)

Specials:
Hourglass Visions
Man Of The Hour
Miraclo
Power Punch
Timeless Tyler DNA
Timely Presence
Timepoint

justa

after my last group of Marvel characters, i realized i was 5 light on DC, so here are a few more:

the first group was one of (if not the) first creator-owned comics.  they got a nod in legacy OP on the Any Mission Event "To Fight On".  apparently DC was hesitant to push it, in that they mis-identified Cascade as "Crusade", and that the series ends with a Dallas/St. Elsewhere "only a dream" ending.
but anyways, here's the Sovereign Seven.

Specials:
Cascade
Cruiser
Finale
Indigo
Network
Rampart
Reflex

back in the day, bios did a version of the JLA, so i decided to give them the natural foil.
the Injustice League

Specials:
Cheetah
Criminal Consortium
Doctor Light
Gorilla Grodd
Joker
Lex Luthor
Poison Ivy

fennshysa

Cool. I feel like I need to read the Sovereign Seven now. That looks interesting.