Playing other character's specials

Started by halcyon1234, February 17, 2013, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasiliskFang

my girlfriend is learning overpower.
she is a magic player...vastly different.

halcyon1234

Quote from: Jack on February 18, 2013, 04:06:32 PM

What you're not seeing is that if you don't transplant the name on Special cards for Clones, then it gets confusing on how one would play, say:

So, if Beta Ray Bill were to play this, Thor would have his Energy at 8?

I thought the rules only transplanted the name in the special's effect text, not on the side of the card.  That's what the hangup with the DS specials are. They don't say "A special playable by X", they say "an X special".

It's be like if Jack had his computer locked with his thumbprint, but then programmed it to allow me to unlock his computer with my thumbprint as if it were Jack's.  I can use Jack's computer, but you could not say that I had Jack's thumbprint.

And then Green Goblin comes around and muddles things more. He explicitly turns his specials into Any Hero specials, removing his name and putting Any Hero in its place.  So, if I play Goblin Legacy, turn his specials into Any Hero, then play a Battlesite DS through him-- can I get a Green Goblin Any Hero "Pumpkin Bomb"?

AaaaQ!

BasiliskFang

you may not draw gg specs after g legacy unless you are gg.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BasiliskFang on February 21, 2013, 05:36:25 PM
you may not draw gg specs after g legacy unless you are gg.

this makes total sense - you cannot because they are no longer Green Goblin Specials, but Any Hero Specials, which should never be retrieved with a DS.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BasiliskFang

The language of this game needs a big update...

mattkoz

The more I read this thread, the more I became confused. Can I get a final summary on the ruling, please?

BasiliskFang

Quote from: mattkoz on February 22, 2013, 08:40:50 AM
The more I read this thread, the more I became confused. Can I get a final summary on the ruling, please?
play to play not abuse!

thetrooper27

I hope my last post made sense... but I'm still confused on the official ruling.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on February 24, 2013, 01:47:52 AM
I hope my last post made sense... but I'm still confused on the official ruling.

here's what I've learned about OP and TPTB... there are lots and lots of tricky scenarios that don't really have any "official ruling," because a lot of those "official rulings" we're either undocumented (or poorly), or the scenario was only encountered off the record or posthumously.

so, we're left interpreting these "laws" that are leftover.

my "official" suggestion? when you're going to an event, designate 1 or 3 guys (no more, and keep it odd) to act as judges for that event an let them have ruling abilities. agree to it ahead of time, choose trustworthy people, and hope everyone can be good sports to enjoy this game for what it is  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BasiliskFang

If I play spawns living costume, via bs (spawns alley)

I'm using beast brute, dark beast, reavers - pierce res.

Reavers plays living costume upon brute. Brute can play reavers specials frog?

breadmaster

correct.

he can now play every special in the deck!

BasiliskFang

but brute can't place them?

difference between MF and HI.

and
(This is the only OPD HI out of 4)

Jack

A's MF allows B to play A's specials.

A's HI allows A to play B's specials.

I've always wanted to argue that "play" and "place and play" were two different things. It completely changes how Clones (and Beyonder) are used.

BasiliskFang

so is the ruling that "play" and "place and play" are different?

i started using spawn and i used his mf on dr.strange, can his teammate place spawn specs?