CN - coded cards (Sentinels & Strong Guy)

Started by gameplan.exe, March 28, 2011, 03:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Unlike any of the other CN cards, the versions that these two have do not specify "power cards" or "universe cards". The Meta Rules don't help (at least, there's no rule linked to the CN code that clarifies this).

So, with their versions left open-ended, if I play Kinetic Absorption (S.Guy's), can I avoid any strength attack? or will it be lumped together with the wording of the others, and only prevent strength Power card attacks?

I'm in favor of it blocking all attacks of the defined power type, but i'm interested in other opinions. Thoughts?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

From my reading of the meta rules... and the guide to playing specials... :P there's nothing wrong with your interpretation.  The only thing that could make it more powerful without being a BJ special is if it said "strength icon." That way not only would it block a teamwork that acted as a strength attack, but also any of the follow up attacks regarless of there power type and any other teamwork that gave a bonus to strength.  ;)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on March 28, 2011, 04:19:12 PM
From my reading of the meta rules... and the guide to playing specials... :P there's nothing wrong with your interpretation.  The only thing that could make it more powerful without being a BJ special is if it said "strength icon." That way not only would it block a teamwork that acted as a strength attack, but also any of the follow up attacks regarless of there power type and any other teamwork that gave a bonus to strength.  ;)

Glad to know I have at least one person on my side for this one  ;)

My concern is the "adoption" of this Meta-Rule (which is listed for AE-codes, but definitely not the CN code):

Quote(11) If a Special indicates a specific type of "card" (such as "Fighting card") then the only card which can be used with this is a "pure" Power card (such as a Fighting Power card). MultiPower and Any-Power Power cards cannot be used.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on March 28, 2011, 07:15:41 PM

My concern is the "adoption" of this Meta-Rule (which is listed for AE-codes, but definitely not the CN code):

Quote(11) If a Special indicates a specific type of "card" (such as "Fighting card") then the only card which can be used with this is a "pure" Power card (such as a Fighting Power card). MultiPower and Any-Power Power cards cannot be used.

That is the way it's played, technically. Unless it says something otherwise, it means power cards. I like to play it to block any of the specified 'attack' but under official rules, that's the way it is.

What's interesting to note, is that CN and AH specials are the same, but of different codes. And there was no errata to correct this. So you can have the two in a battlesite if the codes are backwards. Wundagore has Dr. Doom and Quicksilver. Doom has a 'no energy card' AH, while Quicksilver has a 'no fighting power card' CN special. The codes are different, and there was no official correction so having the two in the battlesite is legal.

Not a huge advantage, but it does give you a slightly wider defensive option for the site.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 29, 2011, 03:17:11 PM

That is the way it's played, technically. Unless it says something otherwise, it means power cards. I like to play it to block any of the specified 'attack' but under official rules, that's the way it is.

What's interesting to note, is that CN and AH specials are the same, but of different codes. And there was no errata to correct this. So you can have the two in a battlesite if the codes are backwards. Wundagore has Dr. Doom and Quicksilver. Doom has a 'no energy card' AH, while Quicksilver has a 'no fighting power card' CN special. The codes are different, and there was no official correction so having the two in the battlesite is legal.

Not a huge advantage, but it does give you a slightly wider defensive option for the site.

-BBH

See, I was looking at Rule#11, but that was only associated with offensive specials, and mostly combines at that.. I'm not sure it should be included here. It seems to me that the intent behind the card was, in fact, to make it for Power cards, but I don't see anything conclusive to make it so. Using Meta Rules from other areas and applying them to different cards is a slippery slope, since lots of the rules individually contradict other rules (as I know you know  ;))
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Bios

Quote from: ncannelora on March 28, 2011, 03:14:11 PM
Unlike any of the other CN cards, the versions that these two have do not specify "power cards" or "universe cards"...
... can I avoid any strength attack? or will it be lumped together with the wording of the others, and only prevent strength Power card attacks?

Many specials have different versions under the same code. Using the AD as an example, there are:

-   Teammate may avoid 1 attack. (Alpha Flight)
-   Henry Pym may avoid any numerical attack
-   Avoid any attack made with a Power Card. (Acolytes)
-   Avoid 1 attack made with a Universe card (Gambit)
-   Avoid 1 Fighting attack (Beast)
-   Teammate may avoid 1 Energy attack. (Black Widow)
-   Avoid 1 attack that contains a Strength icon. (Green Lantern)
-   Teammate may avoid 1 attack of 9 or less (Captain America)
-   Captain Mar-Vell or teammate may avoid 1 attack of 9 or less.

Just because there are versions wich specify "power cards" or "universe cards", it doesn't mean Alpha Flight's, Beast's or Green Lantern's AD specials can only be used to avoid power cards.

I think it's the same with CN  and AH specials. Their wording are clear and there is no meta rule or errata to restrict their function.

Meta #11 - If a Special indicates a specific type of "card" (such as "Fighting card") then the only card which can be used with this is a "pure" Power card (such as a Fighting Power card). MultiPower and Any-Power Power cards cannot be used.

Meta #11 clarifies the restrictions about combining power cards with Special cards. It isn't associated to CN, nor it could be, because CN aren't combined with power cards.

DM specials (Character's <Power type> Power cards are +2 for remainder of battle) can be used both in offensive or defensive turns, therefore it should be associated to meta #54. It could be an example of a defensive card in wich meta #11 is applied. But strangely, none of those metas were associated with DM code.

Since metas' primary objective was establishing general rules, I'd rather to think it was just a matter of omission. Otherwise metas wouldn't be general rules, but only a bunch of erratas.

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 29, 2011, 03:17:11 PM
Unless it says something otherwise, it means power cards.

My opinion: Unless there is an errata or official clarification about Strong Guy's CN being restrict to power cards, I still believe that they are effective against any strength cards.

Demacus

Though I strongly agree with Bios' arguement here, I think there may have been an unoffical errata on the CN specials.  After Powersurge, which is when Strong Guy's CN was printed, all "newer" sets state that the character cannot be attacked by that specific power card for remainder of battle.  The AH specials are a bit more tricky to read, since the only "wrong" one was for Doctor Doom having been printed in the Original set.  Everything from B/S forward states either cards containing said icon or said power cards.  So Doom's could be read either way, but it appears that Strong Guy's should state "strength power cards."

Bios

Quote from: Demacus on March 20, 2012, 10:00:15 AM
Though I strongly agree with Bios' arguement here, I think there may have been an unoffical errata on the CN specials.  After Powersurge, which is when Strong Guy's CN was printed, all "newer" sets state that the character cannot be attacked by that specific power card for remainder of battle.  The AH specials are a bit more tricky to read, since the only "wrong" one was for Doctor Doom having been printed in the Original set.  Everything from B/S forward states either cards containing said icon or said power cards.  So Doom's could be read either way, but it appears that Strong Guy's should state "strength power cards."

I just can't find a CN errata anywhere... Take Maverick's Freelance Spy (BG) as an example. There is an errata about it saying "This card has a typo. At the end of the above text, it should read "for remainder of battle." As the text on all other BG special cards are properly written, this is the only card affected by this ruling."