annhiliation affair event: sabotage

Started by breadmaster, May 30, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

the event: 'Discard all multipower cards'

does this apply to special cards as well?

Jack

Yes, the card does not specify "Multipower Power cards".

gameplan.exe

Even though the Special cards do not usually say "multipower"? They usually separate the icons by name on the Special (e.g., Acts as a level 8 Energy, Strength or Fighting attack.), so I wouldn't call that a multipower card...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

Multipower cards are cards that have more than one icon. Grunge's IA "Must have a MultiPower card Hit to be K.O.'d" means that he gets KOd if he has at least a card that has two distinct icons as the hit.

Cards like this count too:

Jack

Maybe I was wrong on this one, looking into the FAQs (about to repost them onto the site) I found:
QuoteQ: The Sabotage event for Annihilation Affair reads "Discard all MultiPower cards."
Does this mean discard only the multi-power power cards (1 through 4)? Or does it
include any multi-power specials such as Professor X's Mindwipe and Mr. Sinister's
Marauder (which only has two powers listed)?
A: The Event is only to discard Multipower cards. That does not mean cards
which have more than one icon, but cards which state that they are
multipower attacks. This of course means all MultiPower power cards, but
does it mean any Specials? No. If you check the Specials carefully, they
typically do not say that they are MultiPower cards, but that they are "Energy,
Fighting, or Strength attacks" (using original AQ Specials as an example).
They are not multipowers. There are 3 Specials out there that do act like
MultiPower attacks (Mole Man's Uproot Earth,. Nightcrawler's Disappearing Act
and Quicksilver's Fast and Furious) but since they all stipulate that they "act
as Multipower attacks" and not that they are "multipower cards" I would not
qualify them to be discarded either.

Of course, he also states (at a later date):
QuoteGrunge's Inherent Ability requires that he be hit with some attack that can act as
more than one type of attack. It does not require that a MultiPower Power card
land on his record. For example, if Onslaught hit him with Mutant Gestalt (which
acts as 2 types of attacks), then the condition of Grunge's IA would be fulfilled.

CoS

were either of those Norman Barth qotes? because i would trust him as the paragon of OP meta repository.

Jack

gameplan.exe

um, this may be common knowledge or a dumb question, but does this Event remove Multipower Power cards from Permanent Records, as well?

I can't find anything telling me otherwise. The Event doesn't specify where the Multipower Power cards are (Hand, placed, etc.), and things can certainly be discarded from Permanent Records, so...?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

I think a card is only "discarded" from your hand.  It would be "removed" from a permanent record.  But I could be mistaken.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on March 10, 2012, 02:24:45 PM
I think a card is only "discarded" from your hand.  It would be "removed" from a permanent record.  But I could be mistaken.

well, cards from the permanent records are discarded after a K.O., at least, but yeah I'm probably reaching on this one  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Palatinus

It is really hard to deal with games where the vocabulary is not clearly defined.  I think that Overpower never got to the point that a game like Magic is at where there is a clarification for ever little thing, but I do think words like "discard" are pretty clear.  You discard from your hand.  When cards go from play to the dead pile/power pack they have been "removed".  I'm sure there are some places in the rules that might use discard a little more loosely but when a card uses these words I believe that is pretty consistent.

Jesse

Quote from: Jack on May 30, 2011, 04:43:09 PM
Cards like this count too:

I'm just curious - why would this count? I understand that it has more than 1 icon, but I read it as the card is literally a 5 Fighting until successful then it becomes the multi......am I completely off my rocker with this thought? or does it count because it has the multi icons listed even if they are not "represented" yet at that time......
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Jack

Jesse

Didn't see that statement Jack - Sorry. I was just curious.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Bios

Quote from: Jack on June 05, 2011, 06:07:50 PM
A: If you check the Specials carefully, they typically do not say that they are MultiPower cards, but that they are "Energy, Fighting, or Strength attacks" (using original AQ Specials as an example). They are not multipowers.

There are 3 Specials out there that do act like MultiPower attacks (Mole Man's Uproot Earth,. Nightcrawler's Disappearing Act and Quicksilver's Fast and Furious) but since they all stipulate that they "act as Multipower attacks" and not that they are "multipower cards" I would not qualify them to be discarded either.

Even if it was written by Norman Barth, it looks too inconsistent to me...

If specials like AQ are not multipowers and the only 3 specials that act as multipower attacks are not multipowers either, then there aren't any multipower Special cards.

According to the rule book, The Fusion Rule is as follows: "All MultiPower cards, not including MultiPower Specials, scored as Hits on one Character must all function as one Power Type."

Why the fusion rule needs to exclude multipower specials if there aren't any multipower specials?

The definition of a multipower power card is a card that may be used as any Power Type indicated on the card. So why Special cards (that may be used as any Power Type indicated on the card) are not considered multipower cards?

And this one seems to be the worst of all:
Quote... but since they all stipulate that they "act as Multipower attacks" and not that they are "multipower cards" I would not qualify them to be discarded either.

Isn't the very same wording on every special with a specific power type? (e.g.: Acts as a level 4 energy attack). So there aren't special cards from a specific power type, they just act as a power type.
In that case, Strong Guy's CN special cannot be used to avoid "Clobberin' Time", since its not a "real" strength card.  :P