annhiliation affair event: sabotage

Started by breadmaster, May 30, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demacus

Those are some very valid arguements Bios.  I'd have to side with you on this one.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Bios on March 18, 2012, 02:59:39 AM
Isn't the very same wording on every special with a specific power type? (e.g.: Acts as a level 4 energy attack). So there aren't special cards from a specific power type, they just act as a power type.
In that case, Strong Guy's CN special cannot be used to avoid "Clobberin' Time", since its not a "real" strength card.  :P

I was under the impression that his CN could not, in fact, defend that AS...
when I brought up his CN here: http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=240.0 BBH was the last response and his was a negative. I deferred to him on it because he has much more experience than me, particularly in the Tournament days (where I never played)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Bios

Quote from: ncannelora on March 19, 2012, 02:02:15 PM
when I brought up his CN here: http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=240.0 BBH was the last response and his was a negative. I deferred to him on it because he has much more experience than me, particularly in the Tournament days (where I never played)

I don't agree with that, but I will answer to that in the post about CN.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Bios on March 19, 2012, 09:36:47 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on March 19, 2012, 02:02:15 PM

I don't agree with that, but I will answer to that in the post about CN.

fair enough. I could agree that AQ Specials would be considered as Multipower cards, or the GJ specials, but some of the others... I just don't know. I mean, an HR just doesn't seem like a "Multipower" so much as a "dual icon" but, that's when it seems to get sticky... I mean, the Assault on Onslaught Event FUEL FOR THE MACHINE mentions "card with more than one icon" that seems to be all-inclusive. This Event doesn't seem that way...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Fuel for the Machine was also printed a few sets after Sabotage, wasn't it?  Better attention paid to wording would change how a card is written, especially after the fact.  Or was Sabotage the event released in the same set as Fuel?  I don't think it was...  In any case, the prefix "multi" simply means more then 1, so in the case of the "dual-icon" cards, two icons is still more then one, even if it doesn't have the full multi potential.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on March 20, 2012, 09:48:52 AM
Fuel for the Machine was also printed a few sets after Sabotage, wasn't it?  Better attention paid to wording would change how a card is written, especially after the fact.  Or was Sabotage the event released in the same set as Fuel?  I don't think it was...  In any case, the prefix "multi" simply means more then 1, so in the case of the "dual-icon" cards, two icons is still more then one, even if it doesn't have the full multi potential.

So then, what about the EJ cards? Would Sabretooth's DANGEROUS MIND count as a "Multipower" card? It has 2 different power icons...?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

I would imagine that EJ's scoot by on the same ruling that the GD does.  It's not a true multi-power since it acts as 1 type, but if it hits, changes to another.  These attacks don't act as multi's do, being any of the printed icons as needed, but simply the ones available upon success.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on March 20, 2012, 02:51:28 PM
I would imagine that EJ's scoot by on the same ruling that the GD does.  It's not a true multi-power since it acts as 1 type, but if it hits, changes to another.  These attacks don't act as multi's do, being any of the printed icons as needed, but simply the ones available upon success.

So we'd say that a "multi-power card" is one that has more than 1 icon and allows the card to be used as more than 1 power type, regardless of offense or defense?

This makes sense. I hadn't been playing the EVENT this way, but I can easily see how it could include the AQ, HR, CC, GJ, etc cards. Good discussion here  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Bios

Quote from: ncannelora on March 20, 2012, 12:47:56 AM
fair enough. I could agree that AQ Specials would be considered as Multipower cards, or the GJ specials, but some of the others... I just don't know. I mean, an HR just doesn't seem like a "Multipower" so much as a "dual icon" but, that's when it seems to get sticky...

Quote from: Demacus on March 20, 2012, 09:48:52 AM
In any case, the prefix "multi" simply means more then 1, so in the case of the "dual-icon" cards, two icons is still more then one, even if it doesn't have the full multi potential.

I'd say Demacus is right. If you read the explanation about multipower power cards in the rulebook, it says "MultiPower cards may be used as any Power Type indicated on the card, and may be changed to any Power Type indicated on the card at any time during the game." Note that it doesn't specify the number of icons in the card.

That rule refers only to multipower power cards. I think it was just an unintentional omission, since there is no explanation in the rulebook about how multipower specials works (the only info about multi specials is that they are not included in fusion rule, the same info from meta#45). So I guess its logical to expand multipower power cards mechanics to multipower specials. 

Quote from: ncannelora on March 20, 2012, 12:47:56 AM
I mean, the Assault on Onslaught Event FUEL FOR THE MACHINE mentions "card with more than one icon" that seems to be all-inclusive. This Event doesn't seem that way...

Quote from: ncannelora on March 20, 2012, 02:10:53 PM
So then, what about the EJ cards? Would Sabretooth's DANGEROUS MIND count as a "Multipower" card? It has 2 different power icons...?

Multipower cards and cards with more than one icon may be different. Of course all multipowers have more than one icon. But there are also cards with more than an icon that can't be considered multipower power cards, like teamwork cards and specials like EJ.

The reason why EJ shouldn't be considered a multipower is because the power type may not "be changed to any Power Type indicated on the card at any time during the game." So it doesn't fit into the multipower definition.

I guess even Ally cards or Artifact cards are included in "more than an icon" definition, since it doesn't specify that the icons should be different. But I am not sure about that one, just can't remember anything saying otherwise.

Quote from: ncannelora on March 20, 2012, 06:38:29 PM
... Good discussion here  :)

Indeed!

BasiliskFang

So, when this event happens, do you discard placed cards that can act as more than 1 type?

Multipower cards and specials that can act as more than 1 hit.

I feel that that the fusion rule gives evidence that SPECIALS (that can act as more than 1 type) are multipower CARDS.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BasiliskFang on August 14, 2013, 06:01:05 PM
So, when this event happens, do you discard placed cards that can act as more than 1 type?

I feel that that the fusion rule gives evidence that SPECIALS (that can act as more than 1 type) are multipower CARDS.

Yeah, but that's just it... the Fusion Rule does not apply to Special cards, only Power cards.

But, to answer your question, yes.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BasiliskFang

Quote from: ncannelora on August 14, 2013, 08:12:32 PM
Quote from: BasiliskFang on August 14, 2013, 06:01:05 PM

Yeah, but that's just it... the Fusion Rule does not apply to Special cards, only Power cards.

But, to answer your question, yes.
Another thing, would I need to discard activators? As they do have 4 (or 3) icons and would be attacks made with more than 1 icon.

The reason I think that specials that can act as "TYPE A or TYPE B" should be discarded.
QuoteThe Fusion Ruleā€”The Fusion Rule is an OverPower Legion ruling on how MultiPower cards function for Spectrum K.O.'s. The Fusion Rule is as follows:

All MultiPower cards, not including MultiPower Specials, scored as Hits on one Character must all function as one Power Type. That one Power Type may change if the attacking player that scored the Hits so chooses; however any change affects all MultiPower cards on that Character. MultiPower cards scored as hits on other Characters may be of other Power Types. MultiPower cards that only have three icons automatically pick up the fourth icon once another MultiPower card that contains all four icons joins it as a Hit on the same Character.
This says there is a group called MultiPower cards (defined as cards that have 2 or more switchable active icons) but the fusion rule doesn't apply to MultiPower Specials.

Hypothetically, if there were a Multipower teamwork or ally then it would fuse with MP power cards.

gameplan.exe

I don't think anyone is arguing that an AQ can be kept when this Event is in play (I'm not arguing it anymore, we just never even considered it in our playing circle).

I seriously doubt it affects Activator cards. If it did, there would be LOTS more of this Event used competetively, especially considering how expensive the Image Event/Mission set is to get, and how useful it is if you have it. The Sabotage Event would become a must for virtually all Any Hero decks if it restricted Activators  :-\ I think the key is that the word "multipower" is never really given to an Activator.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BasiliskFang