EVENT - On The Move

Started by gameplan.exe, June 22, 2011, 03:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drdeath25

Quote from: ncannelora on June 24, 2011, 01:29:03 AM

For the record, I have played several games by the official rules and I have no problems with them (even the ruling above).

Did you really play the games by the official rules, or did your lack of understanding of the official rules make you THINK you were playing by the official rules?  I'm joking, really.  :-*

Quote from: ncannelora on June 24, 2011, 01:31:29 AM

(oh yeah, and drdeath25, the Bay is almost 3+ hours away. If it was only an hour, I might've made that a day trip   ;))

My offer stands, I could meet you halfway in either Sacramanto, Colusa, or Chico or somewhere closer for you. Thats a hour and a half drive tops for both of us. I need a tune-up before San Diego Comic Con this year, so it would be nice to get my confidence up with a few easy wins  :P.

You can bring your whole crew, they will serve as just another piece of cake for me to chew a hole through.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: drdeath25 on June 24, 2011, 07:50:31 AM
Quote from: ncannelora on June 24, 2011, 01:29:03 AM

For the record, I have played several games by the official rules and I have no problems with them (even the ruling above).

Did you really play the games by the official rules, or did your lack of understanding of the official rules make you THINK you were playing by the official rules?  I'm joking, really.  :-*

Quote from: ncannelora on June 24, 2011, 01:31:29 AM

(oh yeah, and drdeath25, the Bay is almost 3+ hours away. If it was only an hour, I might've made that a day trip   ;))

My offer stands, I could meet you halfway in either Sacramanto, Colusa, or Chico or somewhere closer for you. Thats a hour and a half drive tops for both of us. I need a tune-up before San Diego Comic Con this year, so it would be nice to get my confidence up with a few easy wins  :P.

You can bring your whole crew, they will serve as just another piece of cake for me to chew a hole through.

At this point, with as much reading as I've done on these boards (literally every thread), I think I have the truly Official Rules now. But, to your point, there was a lot of learning to do, and I'm sure that you schooling me would provide more learning  :-[

As for a meet-up, that'd actually be really cool to meet somewhere in Sacramento. It'd have to wait till later in the Summer, though. I have a trip up to WA for the 4th Of July and that's going to leech all of my extra expenses for a month or two. Also, do you have any friends who play with you in person that could come up with you? that'd be pretty sweet to get 8 people together and hold a mini tournament (just for fun)  :)

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:17:25 PM

Also, the thought of Onslaught using such obsceneties is hilarious!  ;D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Just FYI there's an edit button to add stuff to your most recent post instead of double posting all the time.

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:17:34 PM

This thread sucks

drdeath25

@Onslaught - LMAO

@Ncant - No, I do not have anyone in this area that I play with IRL. Everyone I know that plays lives in SoCal. So unless you know 6 other people we cant have a 8-man tournament, unless you come to San Diego in July. Maybe a 4-man round robin style in Sacramento?

breadmaster

why don't many of you cali-boys play opo?  nate grey is the only one i've ever played

hmm...haven't seen him on in a while either...

CoS

I agree with both of Onslaught's posts above... but instead of a lmao I was more of a chuckle ;-)

drdeath25

I'm pretty sure all of us "Cali-Boys" use OPO. In fact, most of us have been using it since at least 2005, and have the older version of the program that is not compatible with the latest version of the program, thus we all had to re-make all of our decks to play against you Canadian Boys (and girls).

breadmaster

gameplan.exe

I've only played a few games on OPO for 2 main reasons. During the week, I don't have a lot of time for Overpower and on the weekends, I have a set time during which I play (0700-1200, Sat) and it's against my mom, brothers, Ranerdar, and other less-regular friends.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Ranerdar

I've only played a few OPO games against ncannelora for 2 reasons. 1 - The program is not very user friendly. Slight missteps in order of card play would cause a fatal error in the program and you couldn't just reset once the match was over. 2 - I'm not very good.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Onslaught

That's a good point, Overpower Online's novelty was that it included rules enforcement and pictures of cards. Now, it's a bit archaic in the way it forces you to use Hamachi to connect to someone (and it crashes a lot). There are a lot of open source programs that allow you to easily upload scans and card text, maybe it would be better to move onto a program like Magic Workstation. It would just be a table to drag cards around so it wouldn't tell you when to venture, when to discard, etc, but that isn't too big of a deal. The biggest upside would be that it has a central server, so instead of connecting directly to another player you can simply put a game up in the lobby and have someone join.

It wouldn't take too much work to get a patch for MWS together, but on the other hand it might make more sense to just wait for Jack's browser based app that also (I think?) plans to have a lobby system.

drdeath25

Nate Grey

Quote from: breadmaster on June 24, 2011, 02:45:08 PM
why don't many of you cali-boys play opo?  nate grey is the only one i've ever played

hmm...haven't seen him on in a while either...

SoCali-boy right here!  8) Yeah, been away for a while. Life getting in the way of having some Overpower fun but should be up for some games now.

breadmaster

opo has it's faults, sure, but it's still a great tool for getting in games.  i've never played with anyone using hamachi, we just connect directly

to me.  it seems to get crashed by 3 things

1) playing artifacts.  this is easily worked around by simply placing the artifact (rather than playing) on the person you want

2) shifting attacks.  the problem comes, when an attack is shifted, and not defended.  the program seems to gradually lose track of the card images, so the opponent sees the wrong card.  the solution here, is if you're not defending, shift the attack, but don't play the actual card (just discard it so your opponent can see the shift)

3) preventing conceding with appropriate specials.  this one, unfortunately, doesn't have an easy solution.  if you tell your opponent he can't concede, you lose the element of surprise.  on the plus side, these cards aren't used much from what i've seen.  if it's an attack that can be made after conceding, just tell your opponent, and they can tell you if they can block.  if not, retrieve the card from the dead pile, and play it at the start of next battle

i'm sure there's other minor things that can crash it, but these 3 seem to come up alot.  and you can always resume a game from the start of the hand.

and to dr. death, if you don't use msn, how do you arrange for games?  are you interested in playing some games...they way you talk smack, i'd sure like to play you.  download msn...takes a minute or two.

drdeath25

You can find me on AIM to chat. I use our overpower online Hamachi server to play games. I'll play you as many times as you want. Downloading AIM also takes a few seconds, and if you use meebo, you can use your MSN account to message my AIM account.

Also, have I ever talked smack to you? I only talk smack to the people that deserve it, and they know why. Be careful what you wish for though, my track record against Canadian Opponents from this board speaks for itself. 9-1 record, with the only loss because i didn't know we were using Marvels and House Rules.