EVENT - On The Move

Started by gameplan.exe, June 22, 2011, 03:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

i've never been afraid of taking a beating.  heck, how else does one get better?

what's your aim contact?

drdeath25

Oscorp

Quote from: drdeath25 on June 28, 2011, 08:56:40 PM
with the only loss because i didn't know we were using Marvels and House Rules.

You should make sure to clarify any stipulations of the match with your opponent before hand.
I'm rubber and you're glue...

Onslaught

Quote from: Oscorp on June 29, 2011, 05:45:04 PM
You should make sure to clarify any stipulations of the match with your opponent before hand.

Agreed. When I play a game using my deck with seven copies of Computer Genius and my opponent gets upset, it's really his own fault for not asking me beforehand if we would be using the regular rules.

Oscorp

Exactly.  Communication is key to getting along!   ;D

gameplan.exe

So, back on topic - this literally, just came up in my game, using my Danger Room deck and it seemed to present a new scenario that deserves some clarification -

On The Move came into play.

I had a lv.7 Int and a lv.7 Anypower.

My first question is,
                    1) Am I still required to discard the duplicate?

If so,
                    2) Am I required to keep the Int Power card?

and last, if I am allowed to discard the Int Power card,
                    3) Am I allowed to draw to replace, because of Danger Room's Inherent?

I mean, it is unusable, even if that's not exactly why I'm discarding it, right?

Quote from: BigBadHarve on June 22, 2011, 04:05:35 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on June 22, 2011, 03:09:04 PM
I have a few more questions that fit the same Subject.

Let's say I'm playing with Gambit, RogueBH, Iceman, and Bishop in Reserve

I draw a 7F Power card - I am able to place it to Bishop, but can I also choose to discard it as unusable, to be able to draw another card?

Also, if I had a Power card placed to Bishop already, and I drew a 7F and a 7E, could I discard the 7F as unusable, as opposed to discarding it as duplicate?

I've always played that you can. The inherent says unusable. It doesn't specify that 'unusable but placeable for future use' doesn't qualify. If you can't use the card in that particular round, it is therefore unusable and you may replace it.

And yes, if you draw two power cards, and one is unusable that doesn't affect your ability to play the inherent. You can still redraw for it.

-BBH
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Oscorp

I would say that you would just have to follow standard discard rules with this one and discard the 7 of your choice without re-drawing, because the inherent does not allow for re-draws on duplicates.

Palatinus

Quote from: Oscorp on June 30, 2011, 05:50:11 AM
I would say that you would just have to follow standard discard rules with this one and discard the 7 of your choice without re-drawing, because the inherent does not allow for re-draws on duplicates.

I would say that if multiple discard rules apply you should get to choose which one to follow first.  Even though the event takes place before the discard phase, you are still discarding all discards during a singular discard phase.  Similarly, if you had a character KO-d who could play a certain power card which no one else could play and you drew that card along with a duplicate power card, you should be able to discard the unusable one as unusable.

Also, tt seems like Danger Rooms ability should check the card that is discarded rather than what is in your hand when it determines if it was unusable or not.  So if you discard an unusable card that is also a duplicate, rather than Danger Room checking your hand for why it was discarded, instead, it should examine the card discarded and see if it is unusable, then apply its inherent.

gameplan.exe

I guess my argument is that the Event states "Affected cards are not discarded." and I would say that the 7I is not affected by the event, it's affected by the 7A in my hand.

Seems I should at least be able to discard the 7I.

From there, I'd argue that the 7I was not usable, regardless of whether it was a duplicate or not. The Event makes it unusable.

Seems I should be able to re-draw.

Also, the Danger Room isn't exactly a power house of a Home Base. They could use this obscure, rare, advantage. You know, 'cause this is Gambit's only Home Base  ;D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Hot Rod

Afaik, the 7I would only be unusable if you can't place it, or the character(s) who could use it are toast.  It shouldn't have anything to do with duplicates.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Hot Rod on June 30, 2011, 11:10:35 AM
Afaik, the 7I would only be unusable if you can't place it, or the character(s) who could use it are toast.  It shouldn't have anything to do with duplicates.

So are you saying you think I have to place the 7A to Reserve? or are you saying I can place the 7I to Beast and keep my 7A in my hand?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

I think you guys are overcomplicating it - It's a simple situation made clear by your homebase's inherent.

On The Move comes up. You're holding a 7I and a 7A in hand. 7I is unusable because of the event, and also because of the event you wouldn't normally have to pitch it. But you do have a duplicate, which means you have to get rid of one anyway. You are certainly not required to keep the unusable one over the usable one because the event tells you that affected cards aren't discarded.

Because it's unusable, you may utilize your inherent which states - During Discard phase, replace each unusable Power card with 1 card from Draw Pile. Discard Duplicate & Unusable cards.

The 7I qualifies as an unusable. Whether or not you also had to get rid of it because it's a dupe is irrelevant.

I would say, even if it wasn't a duplicate, you could still use your inherent. The wording is key there - it says replace unusable power cards, overriding other standard stipulations.

-BBH