Marshaling Forces EVENT

Started by gameplan.exe, August 15, 2011, 12:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Here's the Event that has prompted a few questions for me:

Quote* MARSHALING FORCES  <MN> {R}             Storm
        All attacks from each Teamwork card must be made against the same Front
            Line character this battle, until character is KO'd.

So first, let's say that Beast is attacked with a TW card. Can I then use JLA to shift the attack to Gambit, and force all of the TW follow-up attacks on Gambit as well? or would the follow up attacks still be on Beast?

Second, let's say that Gambit is attacked with a TW card. If I play Charm, will that effectively "confuse" the TW attack, since he could not longer be attacked? Is the Event "shifting" the follow up attacks? or is it just restricting my opponent? If it's "shifting" them, then I could see how Charm wouldn't affect the follow up attacks (see Meta Rule #66). But, it seems like this is more similar to Gambit being my last character and using Charm at the start of an opponent's TW - the follow up attacks would be lost then, wouldn't they?

Third, does anyone use this Event? How useful have you seen it be? Seems like it could be really useful if the above two circumstances work out...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

I'd probably add on "or cannot be attacked" to the end of the card to make it easier to side with a ruling.

As for the shift, no, I don't think you are allowed to attack Gambit after the shift.

I haven't seen it in play.

Demacus

Quote* MARSHALING FORCES  <MN> {R}             Storm
        All attacks from each Teamwork card must be made against the same Front
            Line character this battle, until character is KO'd.

To me this implies that each player would choose a character on his own team to be the target of all teamwork attacks until that character bites it.  This thought process is in a more similar vein as some of the other events.  Could also be seen as you choose which of your opponents characters your teamwork attacks will target this turn until he's defeated...  that thought process is more along the lines of the card's title itself.

Kal-el

I think you'd have to make all the follow-ups against the same target as the teamwork card, but you could choose who to attack each time you play a teamwork card.

I view the distinction because it uses the word each. If it was 'every' instead, I would think that all attacks would be against the same character. This event just prevents you from spreading the follow-ups around.

Palatinus

Quote from: Kal-el on August 26, 2011, 05:58:28 PM
I think you'd have to make all the follow-ups against the same target as the teamwork card, but you could choose who to attack each time you play a teamwork card.

I view the distinction because it uses the word each. If it was 'every' instead, I would think that all attacks would be against the same character. This event just prevents you from spreading the follow-ups around.

This makes the most sense.  After reading what Kal wrote and re-reading the event I can't see interpreting it any other way.

gameplan.exe

NEW CARD/QUESTION

My biggest question about the above Event was regarding the shift, though. So, let's take this event into consideration for more clarity:

Quote* GALACTIC BUSY WORK  {U}                 Punisher & Mr. Fantastic
        All attacks made with a Strength icon must be made against the same
            Front Line character this battle, until Character is KO'd.

Let's suppose that the very first time my Opponent tries to attack using Strength, he chooses Gambit, but then I (JLA) shift the attack to Beast and it lands. On my Opponent's next turn, if he wants to attack using Strength, where does the attack have to go? To Gambit? or to Beast?

or is this an instance where I get to choose where all of the Strength attacks go? (either choosing my victim or my Tank)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

Tough.. going with a literal word-for-word reading of the card:

The original attack was made on Gambit, the AC shifts the "made on" to Beast.

This logic doesn't quite work well if the AC was played on the second attack made with S. (Gambit hit with S icon attack first; Gambit hit with another S icon attack and AC is used to shift to Beast). Since you shifted the "made on", you violated the event's text.

I'm going to say, the first character that the attack was "made on" (Gambit) would be the sole target for S icon attacks for remainder of battle.

---

Weird thought: If destroying battlesites were more popular, would this card prevent S icon attacks against it?