more event/inherent questions

Started by breadmaster, January 14, 2012, 04:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

is there a chain of command when it comes to events/inherents/specials? or are things just sorted out in a manner that tries to make the most sense

say i have beyonder, and draw the fighting spirit lives event (any specials in hand are playable by any character).  from previous responses, i'm assuming beyonder still can't play opds

how bout if someone draws the 'level 1 power cards can't be blocked' event, and someone else draws the 'level 1 intellect cards may be used to avoid any numerical attack' event.  again, from past topics, i'm assuming the 1s can't be blocked, even by a 1 intellect

are both assumptions correct?

Jack

Quote from: breadmaster on January 14, 2012, 04:11:25 PM
say i have beyonder, and draw the fighting spirit lives event (any specials in hand are playable by any character).  from previous responses, i'm assuming beyonder still can't play opds
Yes.
how bout if someone draws the 'level 1 power cards can't be blocked' event, and someone else draws the 'level 1 intellect cards may be used to avoid any numerical attack' event.  again, from past topics, i'm assuming the 1s can't be blocked, even by a 1 intellect
Yes, the second event allows level 1 intellects to avoid attacks but it doesn't make the level 1 power cards avoidable. Think of it like BA specials where cards can only be avoided with a special condition (defensive special, Energy icon, etc), level 1 intellects still can't avoid them.

Bios

Quote from: Jack on January 14, 2012, 04:31:17 PM
Yes.

It doesn't make much sense for me... I guess "any" specials is pretty clear. Aren't Event cards supposed to overrule inherent abilities?

Jack

This is my reply:

http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=448.msg4655#msg4655

My thoughts were that everyone has an passive inherent ability that allows them to play their own specials. So, Absorbing Man (for lack of a better example) has a passive inherent that say "May play any Absorbing Man specials." The event would temporarily grant them the ability "May play any Special cards.".

Beyonder would have "May play any Beyonder specials" given to him passively. His inherent also gives him the ability to play any teammates' specials and also that he cannot play One-Per-Deck specials. The event temporarily gives him the ability to play any special cards. So, listing these off:
  • (May play any Beyonder specials.)
  • May play any teammates' specials.
  • May not play One-Per-Deck specials.
  • ->May play any special cards.
You can probably see it more clearly now.

The other case to make would be Storm: Neutralized. Storm: Neutralized inherent is "May play any "Morlocks" non-One-Per-Deck Special cards.". So, bringing out the list again:
  • (May play any Storm specials.)
  • May play any "Morlocks" non-One-Per-Deck Special cards.
  • ->May play any special cards.
This list is different since the inherent grants the Morlocks' non-OPDs and the event allows any specials. This means that Storm: Neutralized can play any special.

If you're familiar with computer firewalls, or any type of filter, this is basically whitelists versus blacklists.
Whitelists deny any access except from a provided list. Blacklist allows all access except from a provided list.
Beyonder would be a blacklist, all other characters would be a whitelist (for the most part).

The argument that I made from the previous topic is that if Beyonder's "inherent ability" is "May play any teammates' non-OPD special cards", it would provide a similar situation as Storm: Neutralized and allow him to play OPDs when the situation arises.

Demacus

So Storm: Neutralized, when affected by Fighting Spirit Lives, IS allowed to play Morlock OPD specials?  I would think that the "non-One-Per-Deck" effect of her I.A. wouldn't be neutralized by the event, but would simply open her up to her other teammates specials as well, OPD or not,  but still restrict her ability to play Morlock OPDs.  Maybe it's the lack of programming experience in me, but I fail to truly see why one would benefit around their I.A. but the other would not.  Sorry if I'm being thick headed.

Palatinus

Quote from: Demacus on February 25, 2012, 07:51:06 AM
So Storm: Neutralized, when affected by Fighting Spirit Lives, IS allowed to play Morlock OPD specials?  I would think that the "non-One-Per-Deck" effect of her I.A. wouldn't be neutralized by the event, but would simply open her up to her other teammates specials as well, OPD or not,  but still restrict her ability to play Morlock OPDs.  Maybe it's the lack of programming experience in me, but I fail to truly see why one would benefit around their I.A. but the other would not.  Sorry if I'm being thick headed.

There is a progression of events:

1) Characters can normally only play specials that are theirs.

2) Storm:  Neutralized can do 1) with the bonus of being allowed to play Morlock specials that are not OPD.  This is adds Morlock non-OPD specials to the list she can play.  This is just removing one inherent restriction that is placed on a character by allowing her to play some of another characters specials.

3) The event allows all specials by all characters so now Storm is allowed to play all specials.  Because there is no conflict with previous conditions there is no reason why she can't play Morlock OPD specials as well.

Think about it as if the abilities were applied backwards:  3) Play all specials = play all specials, 2+3) Play all specials, play Morlock non-OPD, 1+2+3) Play all specials, Morlock Non-OPD, and play all of own specials.

If you think about it, it's like unlocking additional abilities with skills.  You have been adding the whole time.  There is not a point where she is explicitly not allowed to play Morlock OPD specials other than the fact that no character can normally play another character's specials.  This means that in order for the event to allow anyone to play another character's special this basic rule has been overridden so it would apply to her as well.

Demacus

I got it.  It's additive.  She's not restricted from playing Morlock OPD's, she gains the right to play Morlock Non-OPD's, and when she gains the right to play Any Special, for her it's literally ANY Special, like everyone else, whereas Beyonder STILL cannot play OPD specials, regardless of the name attached to them.

Thanks Plat.

steve2275

can the reserve play specials from reserve with this event?
the br special that isnt playable from reserve comes to mind

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on June 09, 2012, 04:33:19 AM
can the reserve play specials from reserve with this event?
the br special that isnt playable from reserve comes to mind

not with FIGHTING SPIRIT LIVES, because nothing is changing the rule about what the Reserve can or cannot do. But, the SPECIAL DELIVERY Event will accomplish that for you  ;)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27