Events drawn with HQ Special

Started by Jesse, March 06, 2012, 08:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

If you play an HQ Special during battle and one of the cards that you draw is an Event what do you do? My gut says that regardless of if an Event is already in play that you would discard it, because you are passed that initial phase, but I would prefer clarification on this.

Thanks
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Demacus

Yep. Anytime you draw an event after the "play events" phase, you discard it.

Jesse

Quote from: Demacus on March 06, 2012, 08:40:18 AM

Thats what I figured - but its always best to clarify.  Thanks!
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on March 06, 2012, 08:40:18 AM

This is another rule I genuinely wish was different, by the way. I wish Events were always effective and never duplicates, either! How many times in comics do we see multiple crazy-crap going on at the same time? every other issue, at least!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on March 06, 2012, 10:38:01 AM
This is another rule I genuinely wish was different, by the way. I wish Events were always effective and never duplicates, either! How many times in comics do we see multiple crazy-crap going on at the same time? every other issue, at least!

I agree that would be nice! I think that's kind of why I was hoping the ruling was different. Oh well.....could always be a house rule for fun games  8) 

......I will now have to do this in some of my games...... I know a couple of the guys I am going to teach would love to add an extra spin like this....

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jesse on March 06, 2012, 12:54:29 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on March 06, 2012, 10:38:01 AM

I agree that would be nice! I think that's kind of why I was hoping the ruling was different. Oh well.....could always be a house rule for fun games  8) 

......I will now have to do this in some of my games...... I know a couple of the guys I am going to teach would love to add an extra spin like this....

Yeah, I'm a big fan of building themed teams, especially around the Mission story arcs. I have a team built (on paper) right now based on Fatal Attractions - it has all 6 Events in it!

In our circle, we sometimes play that we "bury" extra Events at the top of a hand. So, if you draw extra(s), you still choose the one you want to play and shuffle the other(s) back into the deck. I'd LOVE to convince my group to play EVERY Event, Every time it comes into a hand  ;D there are a few Event sets that would become WAY more fun and, Fatal Attractions in particular, would become a lot more dangerous!

What's that you say? Off of the Best Laid Plans... I can stack Down But Not Out, Hospital Becomes A War Zone, Shockwave Rocks The World, and Call To Arms together for the ultimate Sabotage Hand?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on March 06, 2012, 01:55:14 PM
What's that you say? Off of the Best Laid Plans... I can stack Down But Not Out, Hospital Becomes A War Zone, Shockwave Rocks The World, and Call To Arms together for the ultimate Sabotage Hand?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

evil....but awesome     

Palatinus

Yeah, I'm a big fan of building themed teams, especially around the Mission story arcs. I have a team built (on paper) right now based on Fatal Attractions - it has all 6 Events in it!

In our circle, we sometimes play that we "bury" extra Events at the top of a hand. So, if you draw extra(s), you still choose the one you want to play and shuffle the other(s) back into the deck. I'd LOVE to convince my group to play EVERY Event, Every time it comes into a hand  ;D there are a few Event sets that would become WAY more fun and, Fatal Attractions in particular, would become a lot more dangerous!

I'm assuming then that your intention is to DTR all events drawn then?  You may want to increase minimum deck size then to avoid problems.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on March 07, 2012, 08:50:03 AM

I'm assuming then that your intention is to DTR all events drawn then?  You may want to increase minimum deck size then to avoid problems.

Yeah, I'd say DTR every Event that comes into play, which should be every Event  ;D

I'm not sure why to increase minimum deck size, though. Honestly, I feel like the balance comes from both players being able to do this, including the fact that they can use 9 Events if they want. If my opponent doesn't like the fact that I got to DTR 9 cards in the game, essentially making my deck 47 cards, then it's up to him to do the same. (not to mention, a person hitting the Power Pack 2 hands before their opponent can be a disadvantage anyway).

On the note of using Events mid-battle, that would make using To Save The World a lot more common, I think  8)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Quote from: ncannelora on March 07, 2012, 12:57:31 PM
Yeah, I'd say DTR every Event that comes into play, which should be every Event  ;D

I'm not sure why to increase minimum deck size, though. Honestly, I feel like the balance comes from both players being able to do this, including the fact that they can use 9 Events if they want. If my opponent doesn't like the fact that I got to DTR 9 cards in the game, essentially making my deck 47 cards, then it's up to him to do the same. (not to mention, a person hitting the Power Pack 2 hands before their opponent can be a disadvantage anyway).

On the note of using Events mid-battle, that would make using To Save The World a lot more common, I think  8)

Maybe it won't be a problem, but it may.  Not all missions have the same number so there could be some balance issues.  You just have to remember that you are removing or changing certain things that had previously been designed to balance and so you could run into problems.  In principle though, I like the idea.  And obviously a five event hand is very unlikely.  Of course even just two events from each player one hand could be chaotically awesome.  Unless the events functioned in such a way as to create a lock.  That would also be interesting in its own way.

Jesse

I think the most fun would come from each player having 2 or more  ;D - definitely could cause some stirring issues...but could be memorable

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on March 07, 2012, 01:21:50 PMMaybe it won't be a problem, but it may.  Not all missions have the same number so there could be some balance issues.  You just have to remember that you are removing or changing certain things that had previously been designed to balance and so you could run into problems.  In principle though, I like the idea.  And obviously a five event hand is very unlikely.  Of course even just two events from each player one hand could be chaotically awesome.  Unless the events functioned in such a way as to create a lock.  That would also be interesting in its own way.

Well, only the DC Missions have 5 Events, all the others have 6 and that's still up to the opponent to use a Mission with 6, right?

Anyway, I'm sure if it starts leading to too many all-or-nothing scenarios I'd get tired of it (that's part of the reason I dislike DoW). I mean, Fatal Attractions alone could create quite the unparalled jam! I guess testing is the only real way to find out  ;)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on March 07, 2012, 08:50:03 AM

[/quote]

Yea I'd go with the min deck of 65 cards for this like my friends and I do when playing our "OP Unlimited" format which allows homemades from around the web.  This leads to more specials for characters and more draw/discard type cards. I first saw it suggested on the "just a big kid" site and thought it was a good idea.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."