Phoenix and the KO Event

Started by gameplan.exe, June 01, 2012, 04:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

So, my recent discovery of an interesting dynamic has me scratching my head. I posted a team in the Guess The Theme thread and I started to actually pencil out the team. I discovered I had a rare opportunity to take advantage of one of the most powerful Events in the game - TWICE.

The KO Event can be absolutely brutal when your opponent has no contingency. In this build, I'm actually looking to safeguard myself against it in 2 ways, because I plan on using Bishop's TEMPORAL ANOMALY (HD) Special to recycle the Event.

So, the first, fairly obvious way take advantage of an untimely KO with this roster, is Morph in the back with his SUBSTITUTE DEATH (HP).

The second, possibly more powerful/useful card, is off the X-World Battlesite. I'm sidestepping my policy against bad guys (because she was a good guy in that world for the first few years). So, I'm gonna use her PHOENIX LIFEFORCE (NY) so that I can resurrect another character.

So, as I'm working this out on paper, it becomes fairly clear to me that the best option to KO on the Front Line is, in fact, Phoenix (fitting, given the NY from the Battlesite). I figured that when the KO Event comes up, she gets the axe, but, per her Inherent Ability (A.I.), she actually isn't discarded right away, letting me keep an advantage in that particular battle.

That part's not really in question, I'm quite sure she'll stick around that Battle, per her own A.I., but here's the interesting debate (at least in my own head!) -

Both versions of the KO Event have the sentence, "Reserve Hero immediately moves into play."

So, my question is this,
If Phoenix is the character KO'd, then do I still get to (/have to) move my Reserve to the Front Line that same battle?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

As per the instructions on the event, I would say they still move up for that battle.  Phoenix would be "officially" KO'ed at the end of the battle, so the reserve would remain in the front line until you either axe him with the KO event as well or Sub Death, ect, ect.  There ARE cases where all 4 characters on your team can be in the front line.  I would think this would be one of those cases.

steve2275

Quote from: Demacus on June 02, 2012, 08:26:31 AM
As per the instructions on the event, I would say they still move up for that battle.  Phoenix would be "officially" KO'ed at the end of the battle, so the reserve would remain in the front line until you either axe him with the KO event as well or Sub Death, ect, ect.  There ARE cases where all 4 characters on your team can be in the front line.  I would think this would be one of those cases.
im gonna agree

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on June 02, 2012, 08:52:16 AM
Quote from: Demacus on June 02, 2012, 08:26:31 AM
im gonna agree

Then I'll "third" this. I see it the same way. Basically, just because Phoenix isn't discarded right away, doesn't stop me from fulfilling the rest of the conditions/instructions of the Event. Besides, it's just WAY too appropriate that Phoenix would give you some advantage(s) when using the KO Event. I mean, she's a phoenix!  ;)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

AO user

So... can phoenix play GQ's Phoenix life-force from X-world battle site during battle where she is ALREADY KO'd by event and reappear next battle?

steve2275

Quote from: AO user on March 20, 2015, 08:41:24 PM
So... can phoenix play GQ's Phoenix life-force from X-world battle site during battle where she is ALREADY KO'd by event and reappear next battle?

id say yes
course she isnt discarded till after the battle