to save the world event, and falcon's power dive

Started by breadmaster, July 07, 2012, 05:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

to save the world: For remainder of battle, after venturing, if one player either draws or discards cards placed or in hand, then other player must draw or discard an equal number of cards, either placed or in hand.

power dive: Discard any number of cards from Hand to appropriate Discard Piles. Sort through Power Pack and draw an equal number of cards. May not be duplicates.

first things first.  is it true that with the event, you simply match the discards from anywhere.  placed don't necessarily correspond to opponents placed cards, and vice versa?  ie: i discard one from hand, you discard one placed OR in hand?

second, has to do with the wording on power dive.  despite the fact the card says draw cards from power pack, the card explicitly says to sort.  sorting and drawing are 2 different things.  my interepretation is that if i discard 4, you discard 4.  then i replace them with 4 from power pack and you don't get to draw any.  i realize the falcon card says 'draw', so this is probably not going to be unanimous

thoughts?

gameplan.exe

I'll go ahead and post my thoughts, since it was our battle :)
(btw, sorry about the fallout on my part, internet went down and I'm only just back up :-[)

on the first, I think that the Event makes all drawing and discarding mirrored. So, let's say my opponent has 5 in hand, and I have 1 in hand, but 4 placed. If he plays this card and discards 5 from hand, I think I'd only have to discard the 1 from my hand (and none placed, since he didn't discard any placed). I don't know if that's correct, but that's always how I've taken it. On the flip side, if Ground Blast was played (discard all placed Universe cards) and I discard 4 placed cards but my opponent has nothing placed, I don't think he'd have to discard anything from hand to match my discards.
This has always been my interpretation of this Event card, but it's by no means official.

on the second, I think the Falcon card should not have the word "Draw" and it seems like it should instead say "Choose" which may not even be different as it refers to the Event. The Event isn't worded the way the Shattered Image Event is, "No cards with the word 'Draw' may be played..." but maybe the Event in question is less-literal... In either case, I'd say that you're not "drawing" the cards, so the opponent would not be able to replenish, so to speak. Similarly, I don't think this Event would affect Storm's Gathering Winds card, because it doesn't say "draw" at all, as a matter of fact...

on the otherhand, I'd concede to the first point as well... the Event is pretty open-ended. Does anyone have extensive experience with this Event and its myriad possibilities?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

I would say the number of cards discarded should be equal, regardless of where they came from. So if you discard placed, you can discard from either placed/hand; if you discard from hand, you can discard from placed/hand.

The cards that the person-affected-by-the-event discards does not matter. So if it A plays Discard all placed Universe cards, B would discard all placed Universe cards (say 3), A would simply have to match the 3. So it could be universe, specials, ally cards, etc, either placed or in hand.

--
For the flip side, where its drawing cards, the person-affected-by-the-event does not benefit from "keep duplicates" if you were to play a draw card that allows it. But subsequently, because he would have to discard duplicates, the other player would have to match that.
--

As for Falcon's card, it was strangely never added to the code description for HT. HT assumes the card is like Power Port. I would go for the word "choose" as well since Drawing is implying the card is unknown.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on July 08, 2012, 12:19:53 AM
I would say the number of cards discarded should be equal, regardless of where they came from. So if you discard placed, you can discard from either placed/hand; if you discard from hand, you can discard from placed/hand.

The cards that the person-affected-by-the-event discards does not matter. So if it A plays Discard all placed Universe cards, B would discard all placed Universe cards (say 3), A would simply have to match the 3. So it could be universe, specials, ally cards, etc, either placed or in hand.

--
For the flip side, where its drawing cards, the person-affected-by-the-event does not benefit from "keep duplicates" if you were to play a draw card that allows it. But subsequently, because he would have to discard duplicates, the other player would have to match that.
--

As for Falcon's card, it was strangely never added to the code description for HT. HT assumes the card is like Power Port. I would go for the word "choose" as well since Drawing is implying the card is unknown.

yeah, i concur on all points there, Jack. breadmaster and I hashed it out a little more via IM and we came to the same conclusion. I just hadn't given this Event much thought, since I never use it. So, after more thought, we came to the same agreement  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Bios

Quote from: Jack on July 08, 2012, 12:19:53 AM

First I'd like to say that I totally agree with you. The card was (probably) designed as an anti-draw (HQ/JA/NR) or anti-discard (CH/OC/NF...) event.

But I will add some polemics, since its poorly written!  ;D
It says "either draws or discards" wich is an alternative, with no restrictions. Then it says "either placed or in hand", also not restrictive.

Let's says if "draws"=A,  "discards"=B, "placed"=Z, and "in hand"=Y

If we assume that one player discards from hand and the other player can discard from anywhere, we are assuming that:  "Player 1" discards "Y", while "Player 2" can discard either "Z" or "Y"

That's exactly how we all agree it works, but... besides our common sense, I just can't explain why
if one player discards or draws, the other player should do the very same action. If you like math:
if "Player 1" does "B", why "Player 2" must do "B" and cannot do "A"?

Well, its confusing! But the only condition set was "must be the same number of cards."