Pros and Cons of attacking Reserve Character

Started by Kyoujin, August 25, 2014, 08:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyoujin

I'm currently tuning a deck containing Spawn as a front line character, and I'm considering the merits of his LZ:

What are the pros and cons of attacking the reserve character?  My first theory is that the reserve character is much harder to defend, therefore ensuring a successful attack.

I'm looking for some input from more experienced players. 

Thoughts?

chuu

I would say that killing off the reserve would really depend on who is back there. If someone like silver sable or spiderwoman is back there killing wouldnt make much of a dent in my opinion since they are max 6 characters. If dr. Strange is in reserve i would try to ko him for sure. Hawkeye is another character i would have to take out since he's usually loaded up with cards.

Having said all this, i dont think its possible to have a competitive deck if it has to incorporate reserve killing tools. Your opponent will use their frontline to demolish you while you kill their reserve. I think most people would gladly let their reserve get ko'd in place of a front line character.

Kyoujin

I agree with you, mostly, except about KOing the reserve.  I'm not sure it's about KOing the reserve as much as it is about gaining venture over your opponent.

The reserve can't play cards to defend themselves unless otherwise, correct?  Doesn't that make them vulnerable?

chuu

the reserve can defend themselves in the normal way that frontline characters can defend themselves, powercards, specials, their teammates can even defend them. So it's not a free hit.

Kyoujin

Quote from: chuu on August 26, 2014, 09:15:48 AM
the reserve can defend themselves in the normal way that frontline characters can defend themselves, powercards, specials, their teammates can even defend them. So it's not a free hit.

OK, that changes things.  I was under the impression that the reserve couldn't defend itself normally due to the restrictions.

BigBadHarve

Attacking the reserve does have its uses... but it's not a strategy that will win you games on its own.

I will certainly use reserve attack cards if they're available. Poking at an opponent's reserve is handy against Beyonder decks, where they are keeping their important grid backup. It's good against reserve defense decks. It's also a handy bypass of lockdown decks.

Kyoujin

Quote from: BigBadHarve on August 26, 2014, 04:07:05 PM
Attacking the reserve does have its uses... but it's not a strategy that will win you games on its own.

I will certainly use reserve attack cards if they're available. Poking at an opponent's reserve is handy against Beyonder decks, where they are keeping their important grid backup. It's good against reserve defense decks. It's also a handy bypass of lockdown decks.

All good points.  I wouldn't ever build a deck made specifically to target the reserve; the question I guess I should be presenting is:

"Does a deck benefit from having the option to attack the reserve?"

BigBadHarve

As another gimmick in your bag of tricks, it doesn't hurt at all. 

BasiliskFang

when you say the front line may defend the reserve, are you talking about specials? of course the reserve can defend with a placed card or a power card usable in the hand.

Kyoujin

Quote from: BasiliskFang on August 27, 2014, 07:19:06 PM
when you say the front line may defend the reserve, are you talking about specials? of course the reserve can defend with a placed card or a power card usable in the hand.

That rule, albeit accurate, just seems to contradict the restrictions placed on the reserve.

BasiliskFang

Quote from: Kyoujin on August 27, 2014, 08:57:49 PM
Quote from: BasiliskFang on August 27, 2014, 07:19:06 PM

That rule, albeit accurate, just seems to contradict the restrictions placed on the reserve.
fair is fair.

BigBadHarve

Once the reserve has been accessed with an attack, he becomes fully active for that action and you can defend normally.

drdeath25

A time it is useful to attack the reserve character is when say, Spider-Woman is back there with her 9 or less placed, and you are down to one of your last attacks of the battle, and you need to win venture total, throw the attack onto spider-woman so that 9-or-less can't be used for defense, and win the battle by venture.

So in my opinion, in general, the front line will almost always have the bigger threats you want to KO immediately, but having some ways to attack the reserve can come in handy, and potentially be the difference in you winning a battle. I just wouldn't build a deck around the idea, just like I typically wouldn't build a deck around KO'ing a battlesite.