Meta Rule 21 & 92

Started by Kyoujin, April 23, 2013, 01:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyoujin

Meta #21: If a Special calls for another card to be played with or after it, then the card must be playable by the Character who contributes the card - even if the Special indicates otherwise.

I assume this applies to Black Panther's LR and KM?  The reason I ask is because Jack has told me otherwise in the past.  I don't doubt his judgement, but this rule contradicts his verdict.

Meta #92: If 2 cards are combined when used in an attack, then once it hits, the 2 cards are separate and distinct hits on the Character's record. Removing or negating one would have no effect on the other.

So, if two cards with different power types are combined and successfully hit, do both cards count towards a Spectrum KO tally?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Kyoujin on April 23, 2013, 01:17:29 PM
Meta #21: If a Special calls for another card to be played with or after it, then the card must be playable by the Character who contributes the card - even if the Special indicates otherwise.

I assume this applies to Black Panther's LR and KM?  The reason I ask is because Jack has told me otherwise in the past.  I don't doubt his judgement, but this rule contradicts his verdict.

Meta #92: If 2 cards are combined when used in an attack, then once it hits, the 2 cards are separate and distinct hits on the Character's record. Removing or negating one would have no effect on the other.

So, if two cards with different power types are combined and successfully hit, do both cards count towards a Spectrum KO tally?

Ugh. Meta rule #21. If we were to literally play the meta rule, it would officially render a good number of cards as unplayable.

Look at Bullseye's Everything's a Weapon. According to the meta rule he would only be able to play cards that were playable by him. Black Panther's African Monarch can technically only use special cards by him to add to venture... Marauder's Malice would then be an illegal card - "Take and special NOT usable by Marauders and play immediately"  But the metas say different, it MUST be usable according to the rules... but the card says otherwise... but the metas say it doesn't matter what the card says... Stupid meta rules.

For the LR there's nothing in the card to suggest an override on power cards he can normally play so while the rule technically applies, it's still pointless and redundant. It's a stupid rule for the KM, as it restricts the use unnecessarily.

As for Meta #92, yes - two separate cards with different power types both count for spectrum. Unless both are multipower power cards... but there's no instance of being able to toss two of those in a single attack.

Kyoujin

OK, that at least answers my question regarding #92.

It almost sounds like you don't play according to rule #21.  What's the major consensus on this?

bamf!

I see this too many time, the meta should only be applied to the specific special code it is referring to. Trying to apply them globally to every special will break the game, they are only there for clarification.

bamf!

Kyoujin

It's frustrating for a number of reasons.  The reason BP's KM is good is because it specifies ANY special from hand can be used, as opposed to other cards specifying it must be usable by the character using it, as seen in Thunderbolts KP. 

Further more, why would they give him a special that requires a numeric value when he only has 3 numeric specials.  Two are OPD, one of which was never even officially released!

I'm personally going to overlook #21 when playing with my friend.  It's a little self serving, but it would mean I'd have to rebuild the deck I just created, which is just perfect right now.

BigBadHarve

Well, as it happens meta rule 21 doesn't actually apply to KM cards. (Probably because the game died before someone had the genius idea of 'fixing' that) So you're not violating any rules playing the card as written.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Kyoujin on April 24, 2013, 01:37:38 PM
It's frustrating for a number of reasons.  The reason BP's KM is good is because it specifies ANY special from hand can be used, as opposed to other cards specifying it must be usable by the character using it, as seen in Thunderbolts KP. 

Further more, why would they give him a special that requires a numeric value when he only has 3 numeric specials.  Two are OPD, one of which was never even officially released!

I'm personally going to overlook #21 when playing with my friend.  It's a little self serving, but it would mean I'd have to rebuild the deck I just created, which is just perfect right now.

the general consensus in this community is to go ahead and ignore rules which frustrate, annoy, or otherwise confound you and your friends - as long as you're aware that you're ignoring the official rule and agree to play by official rules when playing outside your normal circle  8)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

The meta rules are like big governments that regulate freedoms that don't need regulation.  It's illegal to open a lemonade stand (play as written) because the city says you have to have a permit to sell lemonade (meta rule whatever overrides text on the card).

BBH's rules revisions for OP rulings, and BBH for president.  Of Canada AND the US.  Who wants a tshirt?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

Kyoujin

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 24, 2013, 03:28:33 PM
Well, as it happens meta rule 21 doesn't actually apply to KM cards. (Probably because the game died before someone had the genius idea of 'fixing' that) So you're not violating any rules playing the card as written.

Well, that's good.