Losing all missions...

Started by Nostalgic, May 06, 2011, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostalgic

I recall reading a while back that if you won venture and completed your 7th mission in the same battle your last character was KO'd you still win the game because completing the missions take precedence.  I was wondering is the opposite true? 

Take the hypothetical situation that an event is played that allows...Domino, who happens to be the last character on the team, to continue fighting until the end of battle even if she's KO'd.  Say she is KO'd during the battle, but she ends up winning the venture anyway, "lucky" girl.  It is the opponent's 7th mission lost.  If Domino and her team are all KO'd, but the opponent has lost their 7th mission does Domino's team still win the game?  I'm thinking yes, but wanted to be sure. 
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Pretty sure it does. It's one of the "cheese" ways to win.

They're going 1 for the loss.

You hit them with an 8.

They attack with a 7 that will kill you, so you let it.

You win the Venture 8-7, forcing their last mission lost.

Granted, this way is a lot more risky. They might have ways to affect Venture after you're gone and you'd have no way to stop them (if it was as close as 8-7, anyway).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

metaphist

Quote from: ncannelora on May 06, 2011, 12:37:39 PMGranted, this way is a lot more risky. They might have ways to affect Venture after you're gone and you'd have no way to stop them (if it was as close as 8-7, anyway).

What could you do after the KO, though? You wouldn't have a turn left...and in the case of anything inherent, you wouldn't take the death anyway already knowing it wouldn't work.

Nostalgic

Quote from: metaphist on May 06, 2011, 12:54:38 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on May 06, 2011, 12:37:39 PMGranted, this way is a lot more risky. They might have ways to affect Venture after you're gone and you'd have no way to stop them (if it was as close as 8-7, anyway).

What could you do after the KO, though? You wouldn't have a turn left...and in the case of anything inherent, you wouldn't take the death anyway already knowing it wouldn't work.

True.  Unless you're using BBH's house rules the battle ends as soon as KO happens.  If it didn't there are a number of potential things you could do to manipulate venture after your opponents last hero is KO'd. (removing hits, negating stuff, playing a special that increases or decreases venture total or missions ventured, etc)

I guess in my example above she doesn't need to be able to stick around after KO, only land a bigger hit BEFORE she's KO'd.  :P
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Demacus

The thing is, wouldn't the opponent have won by KO before venture was calculated?  Domino was already hit with 2 stats. She throws her 7 attack at the opponent who can't block.  Opponent fires back with the 5 multi, which Domino eats and gets KOed via spectrum.  The battle is over because Domino is KOed and the opponent gets no more actions due to there being no target.  Wouldn't the opponenet win the game through KO victory BEFORE venture totals are added to move missions?  Or do you only win via KO if your opponent has no active characters at the START of the hand, before you draw cards?  Do the rules even specify when you CHECK for a KO victory?

Jack

The game doesn't end when all characters are KO'd. When your last character is KO'd, the battle is immediately over and you calculate ventures.

Demacus

So, after venture calculation, if there isn't a difinitive winner, you'd then do the check for active characters and determine KO victory.  Interesting.  Good to know, as I may be teaching this game to my friends soon.  That's a key point to drill into the heads of new players...

BasiliskFang

Both players are venturing for the win.

Player A turn 1:
Attack Domino's battlesite with a 3multi. Domino is like WTF, right?

B turn 1:
Attack Spider-woman with 5f from Domino.

A turn 2:
Spectrum KO Domino with Ally card (3i).
Intend to follow with
Do they get to play the follow up for the win?

gameplan.exe

or, to BasiliskFang's point, and a little simpler...

If I play an Ally card that kills my last opposing character, but doesn't win Venture, can I then play Domino's 6I against my opponent's Battlesite FTW?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

When all front line characters for any player are KO'd, the battle immediately ends.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on July 24, 2013, 04:14:02 PM
When all front line characters for any player are KO'd, the battle immediately ends.

hmm... am I to understand that's from the rule book, then? it's been awhile since I've really perused it.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

Page 17 of the Tournament Guide has it.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on July 25, 2013, 12:15:11 AM
Page 17 of the Tournament Guide has it.

I still gotta get my hands on one of them  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

.. there's a PDF available.