another dumb question :P this time, about passing

Started by DarKBladE09, April 05, 2012, 11:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarKBladE09

Pass—If a player is out of playable cards, or cannot Attack with any cards from his Hand, and does not wish to Concede, he must Pass his turn.

That's what overpower.ca, Jack's webpage says constitutes a pass. Someone told me that is not correct and that a pass allowed if you have playable cards that cannot be used as an attack and you can save them for defense. Like Beast's special; "only attacks made with universe cards may be played against beast for remainder of battle"

Can someone shed some light on this?

Jack

The rulebook is really iffy about "attack" and "offensive action". I would say they both mean the same thing. A good example is AO (negate), they aren't attacks but they are made during your offensive turn.

Passing is only allowed if you can't legally play any cards from your hand. Beast's CD is still legal to play on your offensive turn since it's both an Offensive and Defensive card. His AD card would be an example that is not legal to play on an offensive turn because it's Defensive only.

Using the above example, if: you have a negate in your hand and there's a special card attack on any of your characters and it's your offensive turn you must either concede, play a placed card, or negate a special card attack. Passing is not an option because of that special card attack.

breadmaster

the way it's been explained to me was different from jacks

you are only compelled to play a card if its an attack, not offensive.

for example, a negate must be played if the opponent has acrobatics in play (you're attacking the opponent)

on the other hand, it doesn't have to be played if there's a special hit on your permanent record/current hits

gameplan.exe

Quote from: breadmaster on April 06, 2012, 02:20:59 AM
the way it's been explained to me was different from jacks

you are only compelled to play a card if its an attack, not offensive.

for example, a negate must be played if the opponent has acrobatics in play (you're attacking the opponent)

on the other hand, it doesn't have to be played if there's a special hit on your permanent record/current hits

This is how I understand it, too. I'm not required to heal with the AO, but if my Opp has a Special in play, like a shield-EB, a Charm-like BJ/CW, a Venture +/- (AF/AW), something like that, then I'd be required to attack the Special with my negate.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

That's probably right, I should stop posting things while I'm studying.

DarKBladE09

So, from what I'm reading, the answer to my question is that a pass is legal, when you have cards in your hand, as long as none of those cards can be used to attack the opponent or his/her characters? So I don't have to play a negate to heal, and I don't have to use my sentinels activator if the EE is only one left, and I don't have to play a card like the Beast card below? I can save it, to use as a defensive action even though I could have played it on my turn? If that is correct, then I can play the Beast card on my next turn? Passing says that I am no longer allowed to make attacks. So using a similar card on my next turn would be legal, correct? But passing also says that my only options are to pass or concede, meaning that playing the card on a turn after passing would be playing the card illegally.

Palatinus

Quote from: DarKBladE09 on April 06, 2012, 10:08:55 PM
So, from what I'm reading, the answer to my question is that a pass is legal, when you have cards in your hand, as long as none of those cards can be used to attack the opponent or his/her characters? So I don't have to play a negate to heal, and I don't have to use my sentinels activator if the EE is only one left, and I don't have to play a card like the Beast card below? I can save it, to use as a defensive action even though I could have played it on my turn? If that is correct, then I can play the Beast card on my next turn? Passing says that I am no longer allowed to make attacks. So using a similar card on my next turn would be legal, correct? But passing also says that my only options are to pass or concede, meaning that playing the card on a turn after passing would be playing the card illegally.

Once you pass you may no longer play cards on your turn regardless if they are attacks or only affect your heroes.

AO user

I'm not clear on activators:  If I have a wolverine activator and his AA and AG in battle site.  CAN I pass with that in my hand?  can i look in the battle site to make sure they're both there?   If on up on venture and wanna hold the avoid but is that allowed?

justa

my read of that situation is that you have the AA, therefore you CAN attack, and so you must attack or concede.  i don't think you can save the avoid.  however, if you're up on venture & want to stay in it, play a card like Acrobatics or a heal or a negate to stall & stay in the game.  all depends on what you think the opponent has left available to play.

BigBadHarve

Yeah, any offensive action (in hand) must be played. That's basically anything that crosses the battle line to affect the opponent.

Power cards, (usable) Teamworks and allies, attack specials, and specials that generate some effect on the other player. Which is why you can't pass with a Fortress of Solitude/New Universe in hand, because the card affects their ventured missions and is thus considered an attack.

You also can't pass with a negate in hand if there's something on the opponent's side of the table that can be negated - like Charm, acrobatics... or an EB etc.

But you can pass with that negate if your opponent has a card in play sitting on your side of the table. Like a special card hit in current battle, or permanent record. (This is of course assuming there's nothing on the opponent's side in addition....)