Meta Rule #162

Started by gameplan.exe, December 10, 2010, 01:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

Just taking a stab...

I think the Goblyn Queen example probably doesn't stop you from defending with Jean Grey's AG.  The HU doesn't restrict the playing of cards in hand.  The HU itself doesn't even touch the card you're attacking with.  It only affects cards in your opponents hand.  If you attack your opponent, his HU has nothing to do with your attack.  It doesn't change it, shift it, avoid it, or restrict it.  Playing the Jean Grey avoid is the only card touching the attack, and playing the avoid passes the check of the HU for play eligibility, and then it has nothing to do with the HU anymore.  It's already being played when your attack checks for cards in play.

I would say the same for White Queen's MF.  Once it passes the check, the power card she plays has nothing to do with the MF, meaning that it isn't "in play" for your power card attack to not be affected by it.

Just my guesses...
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 10, 2012, 12:15:23 AM
Just taking a stab...

I think the Goblyn Queen example probably doesn't stop you from defending with Jean Grey's AG.  The HU doesn't restrict the playing of cards in hand.  The HU itself doesn't even touch the card you're attacking with.  It only affects cards in your opponents hand.  If you attack your opponent, his HU has nothing to do with your attack.  It doesn't change it, shift it, avoid it, or restrict it.  Playing the Jean Grey avoid is the only card touching the attack, and playing the avoid passes the check of the HU for play eligibility, and then it has nothing to do with the HU anymore.  It's already being played when your attack checks for cards in play.

I would say the same for White Queen's MF.  Once it passes the check, the power card she plays has nothing to do with the MF, meaning that it isn't "in play" for your power card attack to not be affected by it.

Just my guesses...

yeah, but did the HU have an effect? sure it did, because it allowed the AG to play. no HU in play and the attack lands. same with WQueen's. this is where there is a distinct difference between "Affected by" and "defended by" - then again...

that would've been a reason for Meta Rule 162!!
the rule clearly says that when the phrase is "not affected by" then any Specials in play are to be considered not in play. when the phrase is "cannot be defended by" then cards already in play are fine, but the restricted cards cannot be played in response to the attack.

that means that, had there been no errata to the Apsect, then it would only help with Shield cards (EB types, KC, or CT too I guess). but, because the errata changes the wording from "defended..." to "affected..." then I don't think the AY, HU, NF, or others like them, can be used at all.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27