Activators/Specials from Home Base

Started by LRoq617, May 14, 2011, 10:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRoq617

This one just discovered me recently, but I want an exact ruling on it. Is it legal to run a special(s) for a team's home base in your deck, even if said character isn't on your team?

Example: A match during the Toronto Tournament featured a Four Freedoms Plaza deck that ran Fantastic/Thing/IW/Namor: SM (R), yet also packed Human Torch's Nova Burst to play from the Home Base.

I just want to know what the legality of this is, and what the exact rules are.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

We played with BigBadHarve's house rules which allows homebases to use up to 2 absent characters' specials as pseudo-aspect cards.

Palatinus

In other words, the answer to your question is no, it is not normally legal to have specials in your deck from any characters who are not in your deck unless an inherent ability allows you to play those specials.  The characters listed on your homebase that are not in your deck have no impact on the game normally.

BigBadHarve

Yeah, you cannot normally add specials for characters who aren't on the actual team. or not playable by someone on your team.

The rule for using specials from absent characters (now dubbed 'pseudo-aspects') was something I came up with to give homebases a much needed boost.

-BBH

LRoq617

Understood, and it all makes sense now. Oh well. Looks like I won't be adding High Speed Impact to my Blue Area build after all.

oppl95

I was playing a game and my opponent used a special from a character that was not part of his team or a character on his battlesite. Is it legal to do this? I was told that this is a ruling my Sean. I'm assuming he means Sean Ballenantyne. I always play by the rules in the meta rules and the rulebook. Is this some sort of legal new ruling? Are certain players allowed to make new rulings.

Jack

If BBH (Sean) was running a homebase and the special was from one of the remaining characters on the homebase but not on the team, then he was using his house rules.

BigBadHarve

It wasn't a game with me, but yeah, that's from my house system.

I try and make sure I'm in agreement with my partners as to what rule set we're using.

-BBH

drdeath25

Quote from: LRoq617 on May 14, 2011, 10:49:37 AM
This one just discovered me recently, but I want an exact ruling on it. Is it legal to run a special(s) for a team's home base in your deck, even if said character isn't on your team?

Example: A match during the Toronto Tournament featured a Four Freedoms Plaza deck that ran Fantastic/Thing/IW/Namor: SM (R), yet also packed Human Torch's Nova Burst to play from the Home Base.

I just want to know what the legality of this is, and what the exact rules are.

Thanks in advance!

The EXACT rules are you can play specials ONLY for the 4 characters in your deck.

BasiliskFang

do you do this with teams that do have aspects?