Four Freedoms Plaza - Shifting Attacks

Started by a_noble_kaz, November 13, 2010, 01:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_noble_kaz

So the Meta-Ruling states: "Attacks that are shifted must be defended by utilizing the character's power grids. Power cards, Universe cards, and Tactic cards can all be used by the team to defend the shifted attack. Special cards (including those played via activator) cannot be used."

Now, I understand that this rule is to prevent you from using personal avoids to defend teammates, but I have two additional questions:

1. can you shift to the reserve?
2. if you do shift, do you have to defend, or can you just shift an attack and let it stick?

Thanks guys.

drdeath25

1. No
2. You have to defend it, if you shift it.

Onslaught

BigBadHarve

No you can't. The same errata that altered the text to state that you MUST defend (then later to MUST defend with a powercard, or powercard based defense), also stated that shifting only applied to the front line. (Except if the reserve was attacked directly, in which case you COULD shift to the front line to defend)

*sigh*  Too many errata.

-BBH

a_noble_kaz

Thanks. Whenever our group of players has a disagreement on a given interpretation of a play, we generally do the following:

• consult the metarules
  • post it here

this one presented enough heated debate that i decided (rather than take sides) to post it here under the assumption that we would all defer to the wisdom of the collective.

and onslaught, i though i'd let you know that my brother wanted to shift to reserve too!

gameplan.exe

Just to be clear, I'm not the same brother that wanted to shift! lol we have another brother that plays with us (and 3 others besides we 3  :) )
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

So, I need to clarify the first part of this Inherent Ability...

When I read the rules and card, it seems like they're trying to say that any power type that's 4 or less, gets a +1 to defense for Power cards of that same type.

But then it also looks like, Mr.F has 2 power types that are less than 4, so his Power cards would be +2 for defense. While H'Torch has 3 power types that are 4 or less, so his Power cards would be +3 for defense.

So, if I use a 4F Power card from H'Torch, is that a 5 for defense? or is it a 7?
If I use a 4F from Mr.F, is it a 6 for defense? or still just a 4?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Multiple 4 or less stats don't allow the bonus to stack.  It's just saying that for any power type that a character has a four or less they get +1 to that specific power-card-type when used for defense.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jack

You're confusing the definition of each and every. Each counts items as individuals, every counts items as a set.

gameplan.exe

Okay, that's what I've always thought. I was just reading too much into it, as I'm prone to do sometimes  :-\

So, in the examples I gave, a 4F from H'Torch is a 5 for defense. A 4F from Mr.F is just a 4 for defense. Got it.  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

Quote from: ncannelora on March 23, 2011, 05:55:27 PM
Okay, that's what I've always thought. I was just reading too much into it, as I'm prone to do sometimes  :-\

So, in the examples I gave, a 4F from H'Torch is a 5 for defense. A 4F from Mr.F is just a 4 for defense. Got it.  :)
mr.f has 5f  ;)

and for some reason i have none of that card

steve2275

a perhaps game winning hand

on the subject of  ff plaza
if reed is attacked and he shifts to a teammate can he still?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on April 05, 2012, 02:41:03 AM
a perhaps game winning hand

on the subject of  ff plaza
if reed is attacked and he shifts to a teammate can he still?

not quite. there was errata added to the FFPlaza that states a shifted attack must be defended by a Power Card. So, you can't shift and let the hit stick. You can't shift and use a teammate avoid.

Think of it more like the team has a shared Power Grid, for the purposes of defending. It's still quite nice, especially considering that's only HALF of the Inherent for that Homebase!!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

I'm thinking with all of the FFPlaza talks going on that I should finally get around to checking this out for a build for myself!
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Nate Grey

Quote from: Jesse on April 05, 2012, 01:34:47 PM
I'm thinking with all of the FFPlaza talks going on that I should finally get around to checking this out for a build for myself!

Haha! You and me both. After seeing more FFPlaza in play, I must admit it makes for a cool and fun deck. Will definitely build one and surprise my friends with it.  ;)