Save the World event & Power Leech

Started by AO user, January 22, 2015, 09:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AO user

POP QUIZ:  If save the world is in play and you play Leech for strength they discard two placed cards and two from hand.  What happens?
1. You don't have to discard any since you have no strength icons
2.  You have no cards placed so you discard four from hand.
3. You have no cards placed so only discard two from hand.
4. Play as your last card to remove SOME of opponents card advantage with no affect to you

This was kicked around before but I can't get my head around it

http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/events/to-save-the-world-event-and-falcon's-power-dive/

BigBadHarve

When To Save the World is in play, you have to match each other's draws and discards 1 for 1.

So, if you Leech your opponent, and it lands, he must pitch the 4 of the declared icon (as normal), then you must pitch 4 cards of your choice. The ones you pitch can be placed or in hand. You are not restricted on the cards you get rid of.

It gets fun and tricky in cases where both a draw and a discard happen from the same play. Take Dazzler's absorb sound as an example - I pitch all of my energy icons from hand, let's say two. Then you must respond by pitching two cards of your choice. Then you discard all energy icons placed an in hand, after which I must respond by matching your discard with my stock (placed or in hand, my choice.)

In Columbus last year, against one opponent, I had this happen:

To Save the World was in play - I had Colossus' Siberian Strength ready to go. The opponent used Spawn's finite power on Colossus. I played Siberian strength, which because of Finite Power meant I had to pitch two cards. My opponent then matched those two. Siberian strength landed, and my opponent pitched 3 from hand, after which I pitched 3 to match.

In the case of Draws - both players would draw, but if either player then had to discard something due to that draw, the other player would have to also match said discard. Note that the person discarding due to the event could choose anything to get rid of, it wouldn't have to be from the cards they just drew.

Clear as mud?

chuu

i'm glad I haven't seen much play with this event...lol

AO user

Sounds like a tit for tat play but what about situation 4?  Are you allowed to play  Leech if you CANT discard?  Or if FF plaza has Conceal in play and plays leech with one card in hand.  They can only discard one card even if opponent discards 4?  BTW it's getting clearer... For mud

BigBadHarve

Scenario #4 would be legal. You're not barred from playing just because you can't match your opponent's discards.

AO user

Do BQ specials qualify as draw or it isn't peeled blindly from top therefore not a draw? 

Jack

It's an exchange from the dead pile, so no.

AO user

Ok. I got that right but a couple more specials that are unclear...
Lady death strike GL: sort through draw pile and remove a card from game.  Is that a discard or sort and remove?

Storms gathering winds sort and choose 3 energy icon PCs.  Would the event have other player do the same or pull cards from draw pile or nothing at all because it's not a draw?

The next 2 I think I got right:
Invisible woman's Conceal is in play along with save the world event.  Invisible woman's team has 7 cards placed & last card in hand is colossus siberian strength.  it's played and hits. opponent discards 3 cards from hand.  Invisible woman's team does nothing (no discards)

Iiron mans industrial waste was another but I think I got it.  It would simply be suicidal: player A throws it at player b. B discards 5 from DRAW pile. Player A must discard 5 from PLACED/ HAND! (?)

Jack

The event only affects discarded card which are placed or in hand. So GL and BW is not relevant.

Storm's OE, that's an interesting one. I'll have to think. It's not technically a draw, so no, it would bypass the event completely.

Invisible Woman FS is also interesting, though I'd probably say based on the wording of the FS card, you'd have to discard. The FS protects you from the opponent discarding your cards, but you are the one who played the event.

breadmaster

agree with the FS ruling, but it shouldn't matter who played the event

speaking of FS, a while back I think I asked about it regarding leech (Opponent must immediately discard 4 cards of opponent's choice with icon of Leech's choice currently placed or in hand. (BY))

If I have FS out, and am hit by opponent's leech, are my placed cards off limits? suppose I have 4 in hand with the icon, but would prefer to discard a placed one, do I have that choice?

Jack

Correct, you have that choice when FS is out.