Post's GH (Lethal Tester)

Started by thetrooper27, February 06, 2013, 02:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

Am I reading this card correctly?  Post must attack his own teammate?  Or am I reading this wrong?

If so, has anyone used this card effectively?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

Jack

I can't seem to call if this was on video or not, but someone in our group using Onslaught's Citadel used Lethal Tester to play a placed X-Man's Ultimate Potential on a teammate which was then avoided and preventing his opponent from attacking for the remainder of battle.

thetrooper27

So Post's team is up against Xman's team.  If Post uses the placed Xman special to attack his own teammate, wouldn't it prevent Post's team from attacking for remainder of battle?  He played the special, not Xman.

Jack

That has never been brought up. We assumed that it was made by X-Man instead of "Post" and it was never challenged.

That's the beauty of the game, if it's not brought up and both players agree, then the game carries on. Some players play with misinterpreted rules for a long time before it gets challenged.

As for the ruling, it's 4AM right now and my mind is clearly not in the right frame to come up with an argument to support the above scenario. I'm slightly leaning toward your interpretation as of this moment.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on February 06, 2013, 03:34:49 AM
So Post's team is up against Xman's team.  If Post uses the placed Xman special to attack his own teammate, wouldn't it prevent Post's team from attacking for remainder of battle?  He played the special, not Xman.

I agree with this interpretation. Nothing in the Meta Rules address this, so in my mind, it'd be the same as if Post played the card via Activator. It was a clever idea by the player, but they got away with one there (IMO).

As a side note, I think that card is plenty good without the added benefit of forcing negative effects onto your opponent early.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

TGW

In our small group, we treated the GH special as Post attacking his own teammate (thus, performing a 'lethal test' of sorts). The idea was to basically move a high powered special card attack to one of Post's front line teammates who could avoid the attack. The action would require two cards but it helped to get rid of some powerful specials.

thetrooper27

Kinda like shifting an attack before defending it.  Not the same, but to the same end, I suppose. 

TGW

Quote from: thetrooper27 on February 06, 2013, 01:03:06 PM
Kinda like shifting an attack before defending it.  Not the same, but to the same end, I suppose.

Exactly. So to using the example Jack referenced; the effect of the special should have impacted Post's team and not X-Man's team. At least that's how my group would have played the special.

thetrooper27

I think so too.  If you play Alpha Flights Songbird, and the top card is Witchblade's The Chosen, only Alpha Flight would be able to attack for the remainder of battle.  It's a similar call. 

Does anyone use this card when playing Post or Onslaught's Citidel as a battlesite?

halcyon1234

Quote from: TGW on February 06, 2013, 01:57:31 PM
Exactly. So to using the example Jack referenced; the effect of the special should have impacted Post's team and not X-Man's team. At least that's how my group would have played the special.

Agreed. You're effectively picking up the card, moving it to your side of the table, taking control (but not ownership) of it, and playing it. The card treats itself as if it came from your character, your team.  I recall a rule along the lines of "When a character plays a card of another character, all instances of the original character's name are replaced with the playing character".  IE: When you play Skeletal Summoning via a Battlesite Site via Warlock, it reads "Search you draw deck for 1 Warlock Special, and then you've wasted this card".  Hmm, must post new topic...

BasiliskFang

Warlock needs some specials lol.

halcyon1234

Quote from: BasiliskFang on February 18, 2013, 03:30:11 AM
Warlock needs some specials lol.

But then we couldn't make fun of him. =)

AO user

Avoided posts team is done for the battle, but if NEGATED they are still free.  Did I get that right?

AO user

what if post uses a placed ally card and THEN one of their specials to boot ("MUST play special"!)  that would remedy the card deficit:  GH plus a defense special or PC.  I like post... he's got some sweet specials but his grid does NOT match his comic book actions...

Post Merge: March 20, 2014, 10:48:39 AM

Thanks, Jack.  I look forward to the time where I have played enough and built enough decks to post more than specific questions... Like Post's GH lethal tester: can he play opponent's ally card AND follow up special?....well, no one answered/replied to that one, but the response on this forum has been great!  thanks again!   :D

BigBadHarve

You can't lethal test an ally. I double checked the rule - you can't play anything that requires a teammate follow up. So no teamworks either.