stars and garters (and EBs)

Started by breadmaster, August 30, 2013, 03:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

Play during battle. For remainder of game, any attack made on Beast's team may be moved to Stars & Garters. Beast's team may not defend. Stars & Garters is discarded after 1 Hit.

a few questions:

-is the shift in using this card 'defending'?  suppose a JW is played (Acts as a level 5 Fighting attack. Attack may not be defended with a Special card.) you are letting the JW hit, so not defending in that sense, but is shifting using the special defending?

-suppose you attack with a card like lil colossus (Acts as a level 6 Strength attack. If successful opponent -4 to Venture total.)  the tournament guide says the incoming attack is discarded after the hit.  would the -4 count, since the attack was successful, or not count, since the card (and it's effect) is discarded

-we learned from invisible woman's conceal that the homebase is part of the team.  is it valid to assume that the battlesite is also part of the team?  if so, can we then send an attack on it to the EB?

Jack

Quote from: breadmaster on August 30, 2013, 03:25:40 PM
-is the shift in using this card 'defending'?  suppose a JW is played (Acts as a level 5 Fighting attack. Attack may not be defended with a Special card.) you are letting the JW hit, so not defending in that sense, but is shifting using the special defending?
No, it is not defending. Defending is playing a card specifically to defend an attack. You are simply moving it to an already existing special. Though there might be blurry lines here because the special allows you to move..

-suppose you attack with a card like lil colossus (Acts as a level 6 Strength attack. If successful opponent -4 to Venture total.)  the tournament guide says the incoming attack is discarded after the hit.  would the -4 count, since the attack was successful, or not count, since the card (and it's effect) is discarded
Successful is successful, the -4 is in play.

-we learned from invisible woman's conceal that the homebase is part of the team.  is it valid to assume that the battlesite is also part of the team?  if so, can we then send an attack on it to the EB?
I don't see why not

gameplan.exe

I'm with Jack all of the way. As it was explained to me (I think BBH cleared this one up for me), the key difference between moving an attack to an EB that's in play, vs using an AC card, is that there is no defensive action with the EB. so,

moving a JW attack to an EB that is already in play - legal
moving a JW attack with an AC to another character and letting it land - not legal
moving an NJ attack to an EB that is already in play - not legal
moving an NJ attack with an AC to another character and (whatever) - legal

to quote BBH, "clear as mud?"  ;)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

since were talking about EB
can polaris http://overpower.ca/cards/specials/1020.png play hers in turn 1 draw another in battle 2 and have both out?
it is FROG after all
same for captain britain http://overpower.ca/cards/specials/238.png
multiple man http://overpower.ca/cards/specials/899.png

BasiliskFang

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BasiliskFang on August 31, 2013, 02:09:51 PM
yes steve i think so.

That's how we played these new EBs. In the past, the only EBs that were FROG also were OPD.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on September 01, 2013, 04:30:09 AM
magnetic anti power card wall

I imagine that's why Jack, BBH, & Co. included dup's in their runs  ;)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Why do the EB specials, such as Beast and Polaris cards mentioned above, say "...team may not defend"? Does that imply the special itself may be attacked?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on October 24, 2013, 12:24:47 AM
Why do the EB specials, such as Beast and Polaris cards mentioned above, say "...team may not defend"? Does that imply the special itself may be attacked?

Let's suppose that I'm using Beast and Iceman (Guy Love like Turk & JD). If Stars & Garters is in play, then Iceman could use his Teammate Avoid Numerical for himself, by shifting an attack made on Iceman to Stars & Garters, then defending the attack with the (AD). So, it's not allowed.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

AO user

JW special and /or power card follow up MAY be moved to appropriate EB?  what about NU specials "Acts as a level 0 (icon) attack.  May only be defended using a power card with a value of 5 or greater."  Hits to EB aren't defended so it can be used ? 

shadow king killed my star jammers with stars and garters on the table and we both thought the shift wasn't allowed.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: AO user on March 09, 2015, 01:01:47 PM
JW special and /or power card follow up MAY be moved to appropriate EB?  what about NU specials "Acts as a level 0 (icon) attack.  May only be defended using a power card with a value of 5 or greater."  Hits to EB aren't defended so it can be used ? 

shadow king killed my star jammers with stars and garters on the table and we both thought the shift wasn't allowed.

In all of those cases, the 'shift' in question was already in play. If they weren't in play, it wouldn't be allowed. So, using the JW example - if you attack me with a JW, and I already have a vertigo in play, I can shift your attack. But, I would not be able to play a special in response to it - (EG: JLA any hero) to move the attack, as I'd be playing it defensively.

The same applies for the NU specials. You can certainly shift it to an EB already in play, but you couldn't play a special as a defense to move it.

Likewise, attacks that may not be shifted (that specifically state as much) could not be stopped with an EB in play, or an image inducer, vertigo etc. So, if you launch an intellect power card from Bastion, whose inherent states that intellect power card attacks may not be moved or shifted, then I would not be able to use an EB special to take the hit.

The EB card is not 'defending' the hit. It is 'shifting and taking the hit.' That also means that some conditional effects will still come into play, as the hit is considered to be 'successful.'

If you launch Power Leech at me, and I shift it to the EB special, then I still get leeched. It doesn't negate the attack. Any secondary effect that hits the 'opponent' as opposed to 'target character' will still come into play.

joe_fixit

Any attack shifted to Stars and Garters is considered successful, so Power Leech shifted to Stars and Garters would still cause me to discard. What about cards that target a character, like Penance Stare or Raza, or Iron Man's AI? Would I still have to discard?

BigBadHarve

No targeted effects are lost, as if they had been avoided.

I guess, you could technically argue that the effect remains... but since the target is Stars and Garters, there's no means for it to attack, and nothing to discard, so the effect is irrelevant.