Absorb Energy (Bishop's AY)

Started by a_noble_kaz, December 10, 2010, 05:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_noble_kaz

So we all know Absorb Energy, as one of the two AYs that begin with "Avoid 1 attack", can be used to defensively against any energy attack, and afterward Bishop's Energy Skill increases to 8 for battle.

However, given that other AYs can be played defensively, if my opponent attacks me with an 8 Strength power card, can I play Absorb Energy with a level 8 Energy power card to defend it? And furthermore, on my turn can I play Absorb Energy by itself to gain the bonus? I guess what I'm getting at is do I have to defend an Energy attack in order to gain the secondary?

Another example I have is the Sentinels' Reaction Program (CN): "Play with any Power card usable by Sentinels. No cards of that Power type may be played against Sentinels for remainder of battle." Since CN specials can be played defensively, I give you two scenarios:

• My opponent plays a level 8 Energy Power card, I play a level 1 Energy power card along with Reaction Program, thus defeating the attack and achieving the secondary of "no [Energy power cards] may be played against Sentinels for remainder of battle".
  • My opponent plays a level 6 Fighting power card, I play a level 7 Strength power card along with Reaction Program, thus defeating the attack and achieving the secondary of "no [Strength power cards] my be played against Sentinels for remainder of battle".
Are both of the above scenarios legal?

Thanks guys. (Girls?)

gameplan.exe

QuoteMeta Rule (23) If the text of a Special begins with "Avoid 1 attack" or a similar phrase, then it may only be played defensively and only against the specified type of attack.
That answers the question on Bishop's AY, I think.

As for Sentinels' CN special, your first scenario is sound, but the second one, I don't think is okay. Particularly, because the 7 Strength card already defeats the attack, so you're not really playing the CN "defensively".
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on December 10, 2010, 03:23:45 PM
QuoteMeta Rule (23) If the text of a Special begins with "Avoid 1 attack" or a similar phrase, then it may only be played defensively and only against the specified type of attack.
That answers the question on Bishop's AY, I think.

As for Sentinels' CN special, your first scenario is sound, but the second one, I don't think is okay. Particularly, because the 7 Strength card already defeats the attack, so you're not really playing the CN "defensively".

I believe you're right on that one. You can't play a card defensively that doesn't actually contribute to the defense.

-BBH

Jack

Let's bring up the card for everyone to look at. (gives me an idea for something to add to my site, embed codes!)

The closest card I can find would be Thunderbolts' KP:

I've been thinking about this over lunch. The card does say "play with any power card..", so I can see the argument being made where simply attaching the special to a defensive action would make the action legal. Also looking at other cards (sorry, the feature will be made public over the holidays!) with the words "play with", those that specify attack would have said "Play with a <type> attack..." or something very similar.

So in both scenarios, there are two types of defenses happening. One is a regular defense that activates the 'CN' clause by killing two birds with one stone, the other simply activates the 'CN' and using that as a defense.

a_noble_kaz

Demacus

So, then could these be used in scenario (B) as stated? 

Incoming 6I, I block with the CN and a 7S.  6I is blocked AND my opponent cannot attack Sentinels with Strength for remainder of battle?  That would seem to justify the OPD label on the bottom.