Longshot - PURITY OF THOUGHT (HM)

Started by gameplan.exe, January 20, 2011, 04:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

I've read the Meta-Rules about this card, but it doesn't address one very important type of discard - the discard you do after playing a card!

Is it just me, or could I have this placed, play out my 8 card hand, then play this and draw 8 more cards?! I mean, if I discarded 8 cards that hand...? unless of course I had hits land...

Anyway, thoughts? I mean, if in the course of a hand I've played and discarded 6 cards, couldn't I play PURITY OF THOUGHT and draw 6 new cards? what stops me?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

rucker73

I remember it being played exactly that way in tournament play before.  But I am not sure if it was the correct way or not for sure.  It has been a very very long time.
"Wade! into action!"

BigBadHarve

No, it's not played that way.

It applies to any actual 'discard,' that being cards that were forced from your hand without being played.

BUT, it does include cards that discard to generate an effect, such as discarding a power card to draw four. Or an Absorb Sound where you discard all your energy icons from hand.

So, if you had 1 duplicate, 1 unusable, then played an absorb sound type card and dropped 2, your Purity of Thought would draw you 4.

Of course, it also applies to any cards your opponent makes you discard. (Yeah, go ahead, Power Leech me! I dare you!)

The problem we've run into under our House Rules (where we play all cards as printed) is that it now technically applies to all discards by both the player and his opponent (because it doesn't specify, it just says ALL discards). We want to test out just how broken that is. It certainly is powerful, but on the other hand it's only one character and it makes Longshot that much more appealing as a usable character, and the ultimate goal is to have a myriad of powerful options.

-BBH

Hot Rod

As the card is, it's pretty tough to balance.

If it's your team only it's too hard to pull off more than a draw 2 consistently.

If it's you and your opponent it's waaaay too good.

The best I can see is maybe a draw 6 with: 1-2 duplicates, leeching your self with an Absorb Sound type card, and the Monsters Attack event out of Infestation Incident.  This is really more like a draw 4 though, since you're leeching yourself.

I'd rate it the same as a draw 3 in a deck that can actually use it.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: HotRod on January 20, 2011, 08:32:01 PM
As the card is, it's pretty tough to balance.

If it's your team only it's too hard to pull off more than a draw 2 consistently.

If it's you and your opponent it's waaaay too good.

The best I can see is maybe a draw 6 with: 1-2 duplicates, leeching your self with an Absorb Sound type card, and the Monsters Attack event out of Infestation Incident.  This is really more like a draw 4 though, since you're leeching yourself.

I'd rate it the same as a draw 3 in a deck that can actually use it.

Remember, though in a situation where both players have been leeched, Drawing to replace your losses is a round winner, possibly a game winner.

On average, though, you get about a draw 3 out of it I've found. It's definitely a useful card, either way you play it. I'm going to test it out as written to see just how imbalanced it can get.

-BBH

Hot Rod

Quote from: BigBadHarve on January 21, 2011, 01:18:06 PM
Remember, though in a situation where both players have been leeched, Drawing to replace your losses is a round winner, possibly a game winner.

-BBH

Yes, but who is crazy enough to put Dazzler in an energy deck?  Or even a deck with activators?   :P

gameplan.exe

QuoteYes, but who is crazy enough to put Dazzler in an energy deck?  Or even a deck with activators?    :P
It would be quite the risk, playing with Dazzler's BY on an Energy deck, but there are ways to make it work, I think. Especially if this is calculated with "The Best Laid Plans..."
-
Anyway, BBH, let me know how imbalanced you can get it. Maybe I'll just have to find a comprimise of my own.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

The Dude

Just a side note for thought on this: would burn cards ala Super Skrull Alien Fire also trigger additional draws for Purity of Thought. Technically the text of Skrull's card says "discard"

And then relatedly could you pump up your discards yourself via an Artifact that burns (again text says "discard") ala Image Inducer or Infinity Gauntlet etc?

Hot Rod

Quote from: The Dude on February 12, 2011, 09:29:19 PM
Just a side note for thought on this: would burn cards ala Super Skrull Alien Fire also trigger additional draws for Purity of Thought. Technically the text of Skrull's card says "discard"

And then relatedly could you pump up your discards yourself via an Artifact that burns (again text says "discard") ala Image Inducer or Infinity Gauntlet etc?

No it does not, that would be a bit too good I think!   :P

You can however use it with Morlocks "Leech" and Hawkeye "Combat Ready" as far as I know.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: The Dude on February 12, 2011, 09:29:19 PM

Officially speaking, no. The Purity of Thought only applies to cards discarded from hand, or placed. Though it doesn't say so in the text, which is where the confusion sets in. But it does apply to any other situation where you have to discard any placed card, or card from hand - even in cases where you leech yourself as well as your opponent (Absorb Sound, Morlocks Leech etc.)

-BBH

gameplan.exe

I just had an interesting thought. I recently posted details to my Danger Room deck and I'm poking around at a very limited, but potent Battlesite. Then I though of using Mojoworld and Purity of Thought as my OPD.

So, here's my question:

If I draw my hand, and I have to discard 3 duplicate power cards, I will immediately draw 3 cards because of DANGER ROOM's Inherent.
- Could I then play Purity Of Thought to draw 3 more?
or
If I draw my hand, and I have to discard 3 duplicate power cards, I will immediately draw 3 cards. But what if 2 more are unusable?
- Could I then play Purity Of Thought to draw 5 more?!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Quote from: ncannelora on March 08, 2011, 06:54:38 PM
If I draw my hand, and I have to discard 3 duplicate power cards, I will immediately draw 3 cards because of DANGER ROOM's Inherent.

In this situation, you would draw zero cards. Danger Room allows you to draw off of unusable discards, i.e. Iceman is your only 7 energy character and you draw a level 7 energy powercard after he has been KO'ed.

gameplan.exe

huh. I always thought it was for Duplicate Power cards too. Oh well.

Post Merge: July 08, 2011, 04:23:25 PM

Quote from: Onslaught on March 08, 2011, 08:06:37 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on March 08, 2011, 06:54:38 PM

In this situation, you would draw zero cards. Danger Room allows you to draw off of unusable discards, i.e. Iceman is your only 7 energy character and you draw a level 7 energy powercard after he has been KO'ed.

Oh yeah, so what about this?

I draw my hand, and I have to discard 3 unusable cards. I immediately draw 3 to replace. Then, 2 of the 3 I draw are discards, too.

When I play Purity Of Thought, will I draw 2, 3, or 5?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on March 09, 2011, 12:25:47 AM
Oh yeah, so what about this?

I draw my hand, and I have to discard 3 unusable cards. I immediately draw 3 to replace. Then, 2 of the 3 I draw are discards, too.

When I play Purity Of Thought, will I draw 2, 3, or 5?

You would draw 5, my good man. Purity of Thought can be very sweet indeed.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

That does make me smile ;D

Post Merge: July 08, 2011, 04:23:05 PM

So, also, playing an EVENT would net you a card too, right? the more i think of possibilities, the more i think i LOVE this card from a Battlesite!

Post Merge: July 08, 2011, 01:18:02 PM

WHOA!  :o

What about if the Cosmic Control Rod is in play?! it let's you discard 6 cards from your hand and replace them! Could you play PURITY OF THOUGHT after doing that?! That would be a crazy draw!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27