more about new universe (EN)

Started by breadmaster, July 03, 2014, 08:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

Play to concede battle.  All Mission cards Ventured this battle return to piles Ventured from.  May be Placed.  Counts as a duplicate of all "Any Hero/Character" EN Specials.

1) I've been told you cannot pass with this special in hand, since it's an attack as defined by meta rule #5.  however, EN isn't linked to meta 5 (in fact, it doesn't appear to be linked to any metas).  do we go with common sense, and obey meta 5, or ignore it?

2) the errata is that you cannot play this card if you venture more than 2 missions.  would you be allowed to keep it in hand, and then venture more than 2 to avoid having to play it?  that would seem to contradict the previous point.  if it's an attack, you MUST play it, if you venture more than 2, you CANNOT play it. 

would the rule be, that if you can't place it, you can't venture more than 2?  could you venture more than 2, keep it in hand, and hope to force a concede out of your opponent?

BasiliskFang

how would #5 apply?

QuoteMeta Rule:5
An attack is something which directly affects either the opponent or one of the opponent's Characters. It does not include offensive actions that do not affect the opposing side.

BigBadHarve

I would say there's no contradiction -  if you have New Universe in hand at the time of the discard phase, it's a usable card. Venture happens after the discard phase, so it's perfectly legal to bet 3 or more and make the card unplayable, but still keep it in hand as a bluff card. Since you cannot play it, you may now pass with it in hand.

It's no different than if you kept a usable teamwork in your hand, then played your one power card capable of feeding it, rendering the TW useless. It's a legal play, and you can keep it in hand when you pass.

BasiliskFang

breadmaster

that seems like the simplest way to play it

what about defining it as an attack though.  I know you have to attack if an attack is in hand, but do the rules anywhere define what an attack is (besides the meta rule, that this isn't linked to)

the reason I brought this up was when dr d questioned whether hulk's marvel was indeed an attack.  it's also the reason I brought up meta 5, since the NN is linked to that, making it an attack.  however, I believe the current status is to apply the metas specifically rather than generally, so it seems like a good idea to clear this up

BigBadHarve

Hulk's card has an effect that crosses the table and affect the opponent, even though it doesn't directly state it. That's what makes it an attack.

breadmaster

of course.  it's also linked to meta 5, which makes it an attack.  I wasn't questioning that, just bringing it up with relevance to meta 5 and new universe

is crossing the table in the rules anywhere, or is that a judges ruling?

BigBadHarve

That's simply how we've always played - though interestingly enough, I looked up the official wording on the rule:

"If a Special card or Aspect affects any of your opponent's Characters or your opponent's team of Characters, even if it does no damage, it is considered an Attack."

That wording would imply that only cards that affect your opponent's team are attacks. Not just any action that crosses the battle line. An argument could be made that something like New Universe wouldn't fall into that definition.

But for now we'll maintain that anything that affects the opponent is an attack.

AO user

On a related note(?)  if you have new universe in hand & have ventured 2 but you use a CF special adding another venture card, does that make new universe unusable?

AO user

So to hedge my bet, I think I'll win the battle I up THEIR mission cards by one.  If I win it moves them backwards AND if it one of the many times I forget to include longshot's or invisible woman's IA or just add damage incorrectly I can still safely bail.  Thanks, Chuu

Jack

Quote from: AO user on February 25, 2015, 09:01:30 PM
On a related note(?)  if you have new universe in hand & have ventured 2 but you use a CF special adding another venture card, does that make new universe unusable?

QuoteThe Any Character version of this Special has a restriction on it - a player may not play this card in a battle in which they bet more than 2 Mission cards.

The answer is no, you ventured 2 that round but increased it to 3 afterwards. New Universe is still playable.

AO user

The wiki says as a 
"Non-Meta Rule Information
The Any Character version of this Special has a restriction on it - a player may not play this card in a battle in which they bet more than 2 Mission cards. ". So playing CF you are adding another, not betting 3?   

If you HAVE to play it if it's in your hand but it CAN be placed to anyone so place it like its hot

Jack

The ruling was added to prevent people from betting 3+ and conceding in hopes the opponent would draw the bonus cards and lose them.

If you play a CF, your opponent doesn't draw a card.