morph's substitute death and BM (heh...)

Started by breadmaster, September 13, 2014, 07:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

BM: Acts as a level 7 Energy attack, if successful target opponent may not attack for remainder of battle (BM)

HP: Play in current battle, after one teammate is KO'd. Immediately exchange KO'd teammate and Morph. Discard all Placed cards. All Hits remain. (HP)

this one came up in a game.  I KO beyonder with psylocke's 7e BM.  opponent then plays substitute death to revive beyonder. 

the 7e is no longer a 'hit' on the revived beyonder, but does the 'may not attack' stipulation remain?  beyonder was still the 'target opponent', even though the card is still in play, but no longer on him

also, I just saw the stipulation that 'all hits remain' at the end of the HP.  this is usually taken to mean all hits on morph transfer to the revived character.  if the character was KOd in the same round, would those hits stay too!?!...I'm guessing no

so...attack, or no attack?

BigBadHarve

I believe that the resurrected Beyonder would only be affected by the cards that were on Morph before the Substitute death, not on his original hits.

So, if the BM attack hit Morph, Morph would be unable to attack -  then you played Substitute death to trade for Beyonder, only then Beyonder is still subject to the stipulation.

That seems to me the reasonable way to play that.

breadmaster

yeah, I can buy that, even though that's not how we ended up playing it

I wasn't arguing that the hit itself stays on him.  there's the old ruling that if you remove (not negate) banshee's 11, he still cannot attack.  even though the returning beyonder is clean of the old hits, he was still the 'target' that can't attack for remainder of battle, and since the hit wasn't negated, it seems the stipulation should remain

but I don't feel strongly one way or the other