Cyclops - Focused Force

Started by Palatinus, March 23, 2011, 11:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

Why isn't Cyclops Focused Force a OPD?

rucker73

I believe it's because of it's extremely negative cost to play it.  As the game evolved, level 9 attacks weren't considered to be that dangerous due to the amount of characters that have "Avoid 1 attack of 9 or less" specials.   So the Cyclops card being a single stat level 9 that will leave him open to any attack above a level 7 is now considered to be allowable as a non-OPD.

none of this is official it is just my take on the reasoning.
"Wade! into action!"

gameplan.exe

Rucker has the right of it. the penalty is pretty big. Usually, I'm using it to force a block from my opponent. I try to play it only when it will kill some one, to get them to spend a big defense, like a negate or a teammate avoid - allowing another, non-stipulated attack to land afterward.

I figure, if it lands, Cyke is going to die soon thereafter, so I'd better be very happy with the result of it landing (i.e. K.O.), if it's not blocked by a big-D.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Even still, the penalty doesn't stack so if you have multiple copies you get to play the rest with no additional penalty.  I see the point though.

gameplan.exe

Yeah, in my experience, if Cyke lands his 9E (FT), he's going to die that hand or the next. It's mostly because it's a lot easier to get things to stick to him at that point.

Also, the OPD version of the FT card is what Thor gets, a 12F!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

Something interesting came up with this card in our circle recently, and I wanted to see what others think about it (again, there's not much "official" ruling to go on, since THE MARVELS were never "official").

the FT-Special landed, so Cyclops and Teammates cannot use Specials to defend Cyclops - but what about using an AC-Special (a shift attack). I argued that, though it was a defensive action, that i wasn't truly defending Cyclops, as I shifted the attack and let it stick on Rogue.

Seems legit to me. Furthermore, if I had Rogue's AG, I would have argued that I could use it after the AC, as the attack is no longer made on Cyclops - similar to using an AC, then a Teammate Avoid.

Thoughts?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Oscorp

I would believe that you cannot play the AC special in this case, because you are still defending Cyclops with the special card. 

If someone jumps in front of you and takes a bullet....  I think they were definitely defending you.

Hope that helps.
I'm rubber and you're glue...

Kyle

Quote from: ncannelora on June 07, 2011, 07:17:43 PM
Something interesting came up with this card in our circle recently, and I wanted to see what others think about it (again, there's not much "official" ruling to go on, since THE MARVELS were never "official").

the FT-Special landed, so Cyclops and Teammates cannot use Specials to defend Cyclops - but what about using an AC-Special (a shift attack). I argued that, though it was a defensive action, that i wasn't truly defending Cyclops, as I shifted the attack and let it stick on Rogue.

Seems legit to me. Furthermore, if I had Rogue's AG, I would have argued that I could use it after the AC, as the attack is no longer made on Cyclops - similar to using an AC, then a Teammate Avoid.

Thoughts?

IMO, the spirit of the card would mean that an AC shift wouldn't be allowable.

Palatinus

If you think of it this way, there are many cards that act as a defensive action.  The Focused Force card doesn't specify which type of defensive action cannot be taken, it just says that Cyclops cannot be defended by specials.  That would seem to mean that any special that would act as a defensive action, regardless of what type, could not be used to defend cyclops.

CoS

i'd agree - any defense action you take as a result of an attack announced on cyke after his 9E hits must be eithe a power card or a tactic card (the ability to block an 8 is still possible there... but no one uses Tactics much as they reduce hand size with no great benifit generally).

gameplan.exe

I suppose it's just as well to let Cyke take the hit. Either way, it won't change how I use him or his hefty card  ;D
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

A shift is considered a defense.

@CoS: What about Image Inducer? :P

NickW

You could use Image Inducer to shift the attack first, because it is not a Special.  The game text is just that you cannot play a Special to defend Cyclops, it does not mention shifting at all.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: NickW on June 08, 2011, 07:30:21 PM
You could use Image Inducer to shift the attack first, because it is not a Special.  The game text is just that you cannot play a Special to defend Cyclops, it does not mention shifting at all.

Right! So, I'm using 4Freedom Plaza as my Home Base and I play Focused Force via my Battlesite, then I can still shift via the Inherent Ability!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

I meant an AC shift or a similar special.