Cyclops - Focused Force

Started by Palatinus, March 23, 2011, 11:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoS

Tactic Cards like image inducer are in the same boat as the Tactic Double Shots... they are not special cards defense so allowed after the 9E hits.  Special Cards that shift are a no-go. (FF home base would still be allowed for this same reason)

Jack

Quote from: CoS on June 09, 2011, 01:24:44 AM
Tactic Cards like image inducer are in the same boat as the Tactic Double Shots... they are not special cards defense so allowed after the 9E hits.  Special Cards that shift are a no-go. (FF home base would still be allowed for this same reason)
I only included it because you said nobody uses Tactic cards. :P

gameplan.exe

yeah, I'm tracking with you all. I just want to find loopholes to keep my characters alive longer. I'm sure on the flipside, I would have argued way against my opponent using an AC to defend Cyclops.  :P

So, with that, I concede  :'(
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

I was thinking more on this and I had an idea...

So, let's say Cyclops has landed his FT (9E), and Professor's BG (+2 to all actions) is in play.

If some one attacks Cyke with a lv.8 Power card, I would say he cannot use a lv.6 or 7 Power card to defend, since that means he's using Professor's special card to defend himself. Right?

What if Cyke landed his FT, and instead of Professor's BG being in play, it was Iceman's CM (Opponent is -1 to all actions)...

If some one attacks Cyke with an lv.8 Power card, I would say that Cyke can, then, use a lv.7 Power card to defend himself, since Iceman's card is Offensive, not Defensive. Thoughts?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on June 27, 2011, 02:51:00 PM
I was thinking more on this and I had an idea...

So, let's say Cyclops has landed his FT (9E), and Professor's BG (+2 to all actions) is in play.

If some one attacks Cyke with a lv.8 Power card, I would say he cannot use a lv.6 or 7 Power card to defend, since that means he's using Professor's special card to defend himself. Right?

What if Cyke landed his FT, and instead of Professor's BG being in play, it was Iceman's CM (Opponent is -1 to all actions)...

If some one attacks Cyke with an lv.8 Power card, I would say that Cyke can, then, use a lv.7 Power card to defend himself, since Iceman's card is Offensive, not Defensive. Thoughts?

Cards already in play do not apply to the penalty from focused force.

So if the Telepathic Co-ordination had already been played, then Cyclops can use the bonus.

But, you would NOT be able to play Telepathic co-ordination in conjunction with a power card as a response to the attack, because it's a special.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Okay, so you're saying even though these cards defend people...

CT - moving attacks from Cyclops to a teammate for remainder of game
AM, BG, and BH - which add to defensive actions
KC - which pulls all attacks to one person

if they're already in play, Cyclops gains their defensive benefits? Who else agrees?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Forcused Forse states that he "cannot be defended by special cards," not "Cyclops may not benefit fromdefensive specials."  I would think specials that are direct defenses like AG, AD, AO, AC, ect, are what he's being restricted from using.

If I play a special which states, "Only X can be attacked until the end of the game, or he is KO'ed" that would still "defend" Cyke cause it's purpose is not to defend, but to intigate my opponent into attacking X.  Cyke isn't being defended, he simply can't be attacked.  I would say this type of special would work if played either before OR after Focused Force.

Telepathic Co-ordination also doesn't defend Cyclops, it simply aloows him a better chance to defend himself with power cards.  I personally see no reason why Cyke couldn't benefit from TC in conjunction with a power card on the defensive, as the special itself doesn't apply a "defense," just a bonus.

Vertigo, whether played before or after Cyke loses his special defense, could not be used to shift attacks from him because that would be "special defense," a.k.a. a special which defends an attack aimed at him.

As far as removes, since removes can only be played offensively, I would add that those specials could still be used to remove hits that have already landed, same with the AO special.

That's my 2 cents

Palatinus

Quote from: Demacus on July 14, 2011, 10:19:10 AM
Forcused Forse states that he "cannot be defended by special cards," not "Cyclops may not benefit fromdefensive specials."  I would think specials that are direct defenses like AG, AD, AO, AC, ect, are what he's being restricted from using.

If I play a special which states, "Only X can be attacked until the end of the game, or he is KO'ed" that would still "defend" Cyke cause it's purpose is not to defend, but to intigate my opponent into attacking X.  Cyke isn't being defended, he simply can't be attacked.  I would say this type of special would work if played either before OR after Focused Force.

Telepathic Co-ordination also doesn't defend Cyclops, it simply aloows him a better chance to defend himself with power cards.  I personally see no reason why Cyke couldn't benefit from TC in conjunction with a power card on the defensive, as the special itself doesn't apply a "defense," just a bonus.

Vertigo, whether played before or after Cyke loses his special defense, could not be used to shift attacks from him because that would be "special defense," a.k.a. a special which defends an attack aimed at him.

As far as removes, since removes can only be played offensively, I would add that those specials could still be used to remove hits that have already landed, same with the AO special.

That's my 2 cents

Basically, if Cyclops is attacked and you have a special that could normally be played defensively in response to an attack, it cannot be played.  Cyclops can still benefit from specials that are in play but you cannot play them in response to an attack.  So, yes, he gets the bonus from Telepathic Co-ordination so long as it is in play before he is attacked.  You cannot play it in response to an attack on him, however.  Same thing with a special that only allows someone to be attacked.  As long as it is not being played defensively in response to an attack on Cyclops it is fine.  And since Vertigo cannot be played defensively, if you play it on your turn, you can still shift attacks from Cyclops because you now have the ability to do that, you are not playing a special to do it as the defensive action.

gameplan.exe

I agree. The Vertigo one seems fine to me too (although I don't use Marauders, so I don't care too much on that one). Seems to me, like others are saying, as long as you're not playing the Special defensively to nullify an attack aimed at Cyke, it seems fine.

Also, seems like I could play a BJ-Special on Cyke (again, as an offensive action), but not a CW (since it must be used to avoid first). This supports my assertion that Gambit is better than X-Man  ;D
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Vertigo can't bu used defensivly? I must have missed that ruling. Did they do that to stop abuse, cause it's written from a defensive angle?  Just wondering.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Demacus on July 14, 2011, 03:33:05 PM
Vertigo can't bu used defensivly? I must have missed that ruling. Did they do that to stop abuse, cause it's written from a defensive angle?  Just wondering.

Yeah, they made that ruling to curb the overuse of Marauders. It came in about the same time as the 'dead is dead' rule so that Marauders/X-Babies combinations wouldn't be prevalent.

-BBH

Demacus

Nice...  We have a list of what specials are playable offensively, defensivly or both somewhere, right?  I need to study up.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on July 14, 2011, 04:21:21 PM
Nice...  We have a list of what specials are playable offensively, defensivly or both somewhere, right?  I need to study up.

I use this page from overpower.ca

http://overpower.ca/pages/meta.php
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Demacus

I was just re-reading Focused Force, and I noticed something I didn't before.  Now, I'm not saying it changes how the card has been decided to be played, but it does open up an arguement for a different interpretation.

The special reads: " Acts as a level 9 Energy attack.  If successful, Cyclops or Cyclops teammates may not defend Cyclops with Special cards for remainder of game."

Unfettered Might for Thor has the same issue.

Basically the issue comes from the beginning of the second line. "If successful, X OR X teammates may not defend..."  It almost sounds like a choice.  If the attack is successful you choose wether Cyclops or his teammates can no longer use specials to defend him. If it said "X AND X teammates," that would be crystal clear that no special defensive is allowed for this guy for the remainder of the game, but it's not written that way.

Loophole?