With Great Power.. - Spider-Man

Started by Jack, April 22, 2011, 07:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

bamf! and I had a question..

What if I use a battlesite with Spider-Man and that card? What gets put back into the deck (on top)?

I might've divided by 0 here.

BigBadHarve

I would say nothing, if it's from the site. As a battlesite card it would fall under the rule for Site cards and be discarded into the dead heroes pile after being used, ignoring the text to recycle it. That would be the most logical way to play it as you'd be putting an unusable card back into your draw pile since no one on your team would be able to play it.

-BBH

Palatinus

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 22, 2011, 07:31:50 PM
I would say nothing, if it's from the site. As a battlesite card it would fall under the rule for Site cards and be discarded into the dead heroes pile after being used, ignoring the text to recycle it. That would be the most logical way to play it as you'd be putting an unusable card back into your draw pile since no one on your team would be able to play it.

-BBH

This would be the only logical answer.  Still a good card for a single play though, especially from a battlesite.

Jack

@Palantinus: Please move this to Rules; not sure how I managed to post it here.

I was hoping that the character playing With Great Power.. takes ownership of the card. Too bad there aren't any other examples of this game mechanic.

mattkoz

Can someone explain this card to me?

I get the look at top 8 and pick one card part.  But then it says put on top, and shuffle. 

so you are putting it on the top but shuffling it back somewhere deeper into the deck, right?  It's not just staying on top every time to come back up every time you draw again for the rest of the game, right?

I was reading some of the deck construction/strategy ideas about this card and it was confusing me. 

Though it isn't OPD, it doesn't seem like you'd really ever use more than one.

Jack

The proper way to play it is to look at the top 8 cards, choose one and put it in your hand. Put the remaining 7 into the deck and shuffle. Then you put WGP on top.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on July 30, 2011, 01:21:33 PM
The proper way to play it is to look at the top 8 cards, choose one and put it in your hand. Put the remaining 7 into the deck and shuffle. Then you put WGP on top.

We always play it that it goes on top of the draw pile, then reshuffle. IRL it doesn't matter too much, since you're not going to shuffle the top card of a deck past 8 deep (unless you cut). So, the principle of it is the same, that you'd be getting it every hand thereafter.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

It makes a difference if you had a LO card or something that allows you to draw.

Here's the 'official' text on it:
http://overpower.ca/archive/Ripayuheadoff/marvelguide/OP.html

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on July 30, 2011, 06:45:18 PM
It makes a difference if you had a LO card or something that allows you to draw.

Here's the 'official' text on it:
http://overpower.ca/archive/Ripayuheadoff/marvelguide/OP.html

AH! very interesting! So, effectively, they just put the text in the wrong order. That clears some things up, for sure.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

mattkoz

Quote from: ncannelora on July 30, 2011, 04:52:52 PM
Quote from: Jack on July 30, 2011, 01:21:33 PM

We always play it that it goes on top of the draw pile, then reshuffle. IRL it doesn't matter too much, since you're not going to shuffle the top card of a deck past 8 deep (unless you cut). So, the principle of it is the same, that you'd be getting it every hand thereafter.

Is it good form to just shuffle the deck once?

Seems like for an authentic and sufficient shuffle you're going to do it at least a few times and cut the deck.

Just out of curiosity, why is there a ruling that the order of the "place on top" and "shuffle the draw pile" is wrong? If it weren't for a site like this and you could only take the card at its word, I would never think of doing anything different.

NickW

Quote from: mattkoz on July 30, 2011, 09:41:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, why is there a ruling that the order of the "place on top" and "shuffle the draw pile" is wrong? If it weren't for a site like this and you could only take the card at its word, I would never think of doing anything different.

Exactly.  But, this expansion was never released, the card was never printed.  The game text listed was not going to be the final version.  It was going to be changed on our next run through, but then the plug was pulled and nothing else was done.  The only reason it became public knowledge was because we decided to publish the list, including some notes of intended or recommended changes.

Demacus

Where can we find the list of the Marvels cards and their intended uses, since the printed text on the card may not be as accurate as it would seem?  Are there any other cards, whose text might be jumbled or just outright out-dated?

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I found the link posted above and backtracked that way.  So Mr.Fantastic's elasticity can be used to defend a teammate as well?  Very nice considering that Mr.F isnt' usually a "first-kill" target due to his lack of hard hitting attacks, but this helps him become a greater "blanket-defense" character, kinda like invisible woman.

mattkoz

Quote from: NickW on July 30, 2011, 10:24:19 PM
Quote from: mattkoz on July 30, 2011, 09:41:47 PM

Exactly.  But, this expansion was never released, the card was never printed.  The game text listed was not going to be the final version.  It was going to be changed on our next run through, but then the plug was pulled and nothing else was done.  The only reason it became public knowledge was because we decided to publish the list, including some notes of intended or recommended changes.

OK, good point on it being a work in progress. 

AO user

spidey's code OP card is sweet and the wiki doesn't have any rules (yet) for it's use.  I want to use it in daily bugle battlesite.  The question is after I play the activator and use the card, DO I PUT ACTIVATOR ON TOP OF DRAW PILE?  or the card?  or are both discard? the way it's written, it sounds like an immortal card!  Thanks for your consideration :)

chuu

if it's an activator you can't reuse it indefinately, you can only use it that once then you have to discard it as per activator rules.  Only spiderman gets to use that card indefinately.