Landslides Appetite For Destruction

Started by En Sabah Nur, January 23, 2012, 10:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En Sabah Nur

Hi All,

Brand new here at the forums, so happy there are still people out tthere playing overpower, let alone an actually current message board :0 So for my first question here, my buddy and I were playing recently and i played with landslides Appetite for destruction "Only specials that act as an attack my be played this battle, all other specials may not be played" I played that card and then played Doc Samson anyhero.  he went to use an avoid, and said that that card i played only pertains to my team, not his ability to defend his team. 1.  Is he right? 2. How exactly does that card work anyways?  The metarule look up at overpower.ca was no help.  Thanks a ton, im sure ill have more questions is the future.

OP Lives!

Jack

1. The card affects both players so nobody can use an avoid.

2. Upon playing the card, if it's not negated, only cards that affects the opponent may be played. You can't negate the card after either, it must be negated during the defense portion of the Landslide attack.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Jack on January 23, 2012, 10:32:50 AM
You can't negate the card after either, it must be negated during the defense portion of the Landslide attack.

No saying this is wrong, but I was wondering why? Does that work the same for Wolverine's FD special?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jack

The card's text does not affect the battle until it has successfully evaded the defense. So you would be allowed to negate the special during the defense because its text does not apply yet. When the defense failed (so, you didn't negate it), the rules of the battle changes so that specials can only be used if they affect one's opponent. This renders all other specials useless. The negate can always remove the special (that part of the game doesn't change), but the NN card prevents it from being played in the first place.

After reading the meta rule for NN:
QuoteMeta #5: An attack is something which directly affects either the opponent or one of the opponent's Characters. It does not include offensive actions that do not affect the opposing side.
I'm getting persuaded to say that a negate does affect the opponent (Negates the effect of any 1 Special card played by opponent.) and should be legal to play at any time after NN is on the table during the battle.

gameplan.exe

I think playing a Special that will remove an Opponent's Special-in-play counts as an attack (albeit untargetted). So, I'd say a Negate will remove the NN that's already in play, as will a KL-Special.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

En Sabah Nur

Thanks everybody, that cleared it up for me!  I wonder however if you would be able to block and attack with a special that states "acts as a level 6 anypower card. May be used to attack or defend" if Appetite for Destruction was in Play?  I suppose that that special would be only an attack special?

Nostalgic

Quote from: Jack on January 23, 2012, 05:31:57 PM
QuoteMeta #5: An attack is something which directly affects either the opponent or one of the opponent's Characters. It does not include offensive actions that do not affect the opposing side.
I'm getting persuaded to say that a negate does affect the opponent (Negates the effect of any 1 Special card played by opponent.) and should be legal to play at any time after NN is on the table during the battle.

I know an EJ special is un-negatable after it hits, but it is removable with a EE special like mastermold.  ;)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on January 24, 2012, 05:57:23 PM
Quote from: Jack on January 23, 2012, 05:31:57 PM

I know an EJ special is un-negatable after it hits, but it is removable with a EE special like mastermold.  ;)
:o ????
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

EJ specials can be negated after the hit. They are, after all, specials. And no, you can't remove them with an EE special, even though they state 'act as a power card.'

They are a special, through and through, both before and after the hit.

-BBH

Jack

Basically, there's nothing special when a special "acts as a power card". It's just a more fancy way of saying attack.

Nostalgic

Quote from: BigBadHarve on January 25, 2012, 04:52:26 PM

EJ specials can be negated after the hit. They are, after all, specials. And no, you can't remove them with an EE special, even though they state 'act as a power card.'

-BBH

I was basing that on the 'guide to playing specials'. How do your house rules address this from the standpoint of 'increasing card usefulness'?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nostalgic on February 04, 2012, 03:29:20 PM
Quote from: BigBadHarve on January 25, 2012, 04:52:26 PM

-BBH

I was basing that on the 'guide to playing specials'. How do your house rules address this from the standpoint of 'increasing card usefulness'?

We tend to play them as written. So a card that 'acts as' another card, shares all properties. IE: A special that 'acts as' a power card, is both a special and a power card. The text governs the parameters. Think of it like AE specials that allow you to combine - such cards are considered to be both, so using a 'Avoid 1 power card' is a legal defense, even though it's a special and a power card being played. In this case the two properties are shared by a single card.

There haven't been any issues... but then it's not like we have 100s of people going by our system either. ;)

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 06, 2012, 02:19:10 PM
... but then it's not like we have 100s of people going by our system either. ;)

-BBH

... YET!!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

The Dude

BBH,

We too are very heavy on the play all cards as written and have been playing the "acts like a power card" as it is both a power and special card and for the cc's and the 2/8s that hit it's works fine, although it has to be played to act like a Power card. So if you get a duplicate CC it goes into the dead pile because it is a duplicate special and you never played it to activate the text, but if you play it goes into the Power Pack after use. Or if it gets negated it goes into the Dead Pile (since the effect is it acts like a Power card, once that effect is negated its clearly a special). The only flaw in this is those 9's from Marvels seem way too strong if you let them go into the Power Pack but then we're not all that interested in using Sabra (who?) or Wasp anyway so it rarely comes up.

Nostalgic

One question on the NN cards. Based on the text of the special, why can they be 'defensively' negated? I mean I get that immediately after its played it could be negated offensively, but it would seem if I play a card that doesn't let you play specials defensively it would include defending the card itself. When played has the card not actually gone into effect?