White Queen TM

Started by Jesse, February 14, 2012, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

This may be a stupid question and if it is - cool - I am still curious about the answer.

With White Queen's Telepathic Manipulator OPD, it states "Target Hero must discard all placed cards and move into reserve for remainder of battle." If you were to play this card near the start of the game and your opponent still has a full team (3 frontline + 1 reserve), does the hero still go into reserve if a hero is already in reserve?
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Palatinus

Yes.  In theory with the right combination of cards you could put all your opponent's characters into reserve.  That would end the battle I believe though.

Jesse

Quote from: Palatinus on February 14, 2012, 11:02:55 AM
Yes.  In theory with the right combination of cards you could put all your opponent's characters into reserve.  That would end the battle I believe though.

LOL. That would be pretty sweet to send them all to reserve. Thanks for answering the question!
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Palatinus

Quote from: Jesse on February 14, 2012, 11:15:09 AM
Quote from: Palatinus on February 14, 2012, 11:02:55 AM

LOL. That would be pretty sweet to send them all to reserve. Thanks for answering the question!

No problem!  But check back in case someone corrects me.  I'm not really an expert.  I've learned most of what I know outside of the rule books from the board.

Jesse

No problem!  But check back in case someone corrects me.  I'm not really an expert.  I've learned most of what I know outside of the rule books from the board.
[/quote]

I fully understand. Since I havent played "organized" games in a long time I have a lot of catching up to do! But I am not shy about it so at least I have no fear to ask the questions  ;D

gameplan.exe

a person who has no front line, because they've been sent packing to Reserve, will in fact lose the Venture. That can be tricky with some of the cards where you send your own character to reserve...

Also, keep in mind, that when the battle is over and it's time to return some one to the Front Line, it does not have to be the same some one! Let's say White Queen lands her CA IA-Special on your Sabretooth, but the only cards you have left in your deck for him are his AD-Specials (teammate avoid, he can play from Reserve), maybe you decide it's better to keep him back there awhile and you could then decide to put Maverick on the Front Line instead.

Very interesting possibilities with the various abilities to manipulate the Front Line!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on February 14, 2012, 12:29:36 PM
Also, keep in mind, that when the battle is over and it's time to return some one to the Front Line, it does not have to be the same some one!

That's amazing. I had no idea you could essentially pick who got to go back "into battle" if that situation were to arise. I was only worried about my opponent I never even considered what a scenerio like that could do (positve and negative) for my own team. Very interesting.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jesse on February 14, 2012, 12:33:54 PM
That's amazing. I had no idea you could essentially pick who got to go back "into battle" if that situation were to arise. I was only worried about my opponent I never even considered what a scenerio like that could do (positve and negative) for my own team. Very interesting.

Definitely has intriguing possibilites. You can also play that White Queen card on your teammate for those exact reasons. Also, see Dazzler's card from The MARVELS

(also, I mis-typed above. The White Queen special is IA-coded, as is Dazzler's).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on February 14, 2012, 12:36:03 PM
You can also play that White Queen card on your teammate for those exact reasons.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly - if a card says something along the lines of "target hero" instead of opponent, you can possibly choose to use it on your own team? or are there limitations to this?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jesse on February 14, 2012, 03:43:24 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on February 14, 2012, 12:36:03 PM
You can also play that White Queen card on your teammate for those exact reasons.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly - if a card says something along the lines of "target hero" instead of opponent, you can possibly choose to use it on your own team? or are there limitations to this?

Yeah, you understand it mostly correctly. If it says "target character" or "target hero" but it's also not a numerical attack (or something that will KO), then you can (like DZ)... unless the card is supposed to KO your teammate (GE).

I would like this rule a lot more if they simply let you attack yourself whenever you want, for your own purposes (like activating Bishop's AY-card), but instead it has to be an attack that targets a hero but won't count toward KO or Venture... I guess...  ???
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

but instead it has to be an attack that targets a hero but won't count toward KO or Venture... I guess...  ???
[/quote]

If that's the case, I can understand that - even if you'd like it to be the other way for some benefit  ;)  I don't know if you have ever played HeroClix or not, but I used to play it and it had the same type of issues....only worse. One power that some characters have is "Outwit" which is simply a negate that lets you negate something from your opponent i.e. special skills, strength, team abilities etc. I had several times where outwitting something with myself would have helped me to achieve an ability I needed.....but sadly in that game you cannot play an outwit on yourself  :-\     

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jesse on February 15, 2012, 06:11:23 AMIf that's the case, I can understand that - even if you'd like it to be the other way for some benefit  ;)  I don't know if you have ever played HeroClix or not, but I used to play it and it had the same type of issues....only worse. One power that some characters have is "Outwit" which is simply a negate that lets you negate something from your opponent i.e. special skills, strength, team abilities etc. I had several times where outwitting something with myself would have helped me to achieve an ability I needed.....but sadly in that game you cannot play an outwit on yourself  :-\     

Yeah, there have been several times I wished I could negate my own Specials. Unfortunately, all of the AO-coded negates say, "Special played by opponent" and, even though the Bastion version doesn't include that text, I am still not allowed to do this  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

[/quote]
Yeah, there have been several times I wished I could negate my own Specials. Unfortunately, all of the AO-coded negates say, "Special played by opponent" and, even though the Bastion version doesn't include that text, I am still not allowed to do this  :-\
[/quote]

Yeah -most of the comic related games that I play or have played run into that "it doesnt say I can't -but- it doesnt say I can, either" type of issues.  ???

AO user

If you knock the front line into reserve in a battle, do they come forward one each battle?