Hellfire Club VonRoehm

Started by Jesse, February 21, 2012, 10:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

The text on this special states that "....the character is KO'd by the next level 2 strength power card hit...."   

Does a multi-power power card count? i.e. if you played a level 2 multi (E,F,S,I) after you played this special - would that KO your opponent or does the text need to be taken verbatim and be only a 2 strength (no multi)?
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Jack

Jesse

Quote from: Jack on February 21, 2012, 10:30:35 AM
Stength power card.

Thats what I figured. But so far I've learned that I'm 50/50 on what I assume  ;D

Thanks jack
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Palatinus

Whenever a specific power type is listed on a card it must be a card of that power type and not a multi-power card.  The applies to specials as well as to Doubleshots.

Jesse

Quote from: Palatinus on February 21, 2012, 02:32:26 PM
Whenever a specific power type is listed on a card it must be a card of that power type and not a multi-power card.  The applies to specials as well as to Doubleshots.

I will admit I am a little confused. I know I read a post in the forums the other day that said if a player has a special avoid such as "Avoid 1 Strength attack" then it would work against a 4strength or energy attack  - to me that is reverse of my question above. Make sense?

Jack

Strength power cards are a subset of strength attacks.

Jesse

I'm still at a loss about the Multi being played after the Hellfire Special. The rules that I am reading state: There are also certain Power cards called MultiPower cards. These function identically to regular Power cards, except that instead of being designated as one specific Power Type, they should be considered wild cards; giving you a choice of Power Type. MultiPower cards may be used as any Power Type indicated on the card, and may be changed to any Power Type indicated on the card at any time during the game.

To me this says that if I want the 2 multi to be a 2 Strength, I can choose to do that and thus make the Hellfire attack ability come into play.

Jack

Officially, they are MultiPower Power Cards:

Multipower is just the flavour of the power card.

Jesse

I guess what throws me off is the fact that they state "can be any" and the ones like what you picture specifically state do not count toward spectrum so you know it doesnt count as one.....does that make sense......

Palatinus

Quote from: Jesse on February 21, 2012, 03:04:17 PM
I will admit I am a little confused. I know I read a post in the forums the other day that said if a player has a special avoid such as "Avoid 1 Strength attack" then it would work against a 4strength or energy attack  - to me that is reverse of my question above. Make sense?

To explain a little better, if something cites a specific type of card e.g. a strength power card, it means a strength power card.  Those are power cards that have only the strength icon.  As Jack explained a multipower card is the type multipower card.  On the other hand, when something is looking for a particular attribute it checks for that type regardless of other types.  So an attack that contains both a strength attribute and energy attribute can be defended by a card that checks for either.  If a card were to say "Avoid one attack made with a strength power card" it would only defend against strength power cards, not any attack with a strength attribute.

Similarly, if a card defends against a strength attack and you make an attack with a multipower card that is presently acting as an energy card, say if it was combined with a BU for energy, then the strength attack avoid would not be usable.  If the avoid said avoid an attack with a strength icon the card doesn't check for the attribute of the attack, rather if the icon is present on the card.

Post Merge: February 21, 2012, 04:46:24 PM

Quote from: Jesse on February 21, 2012, 04:40:02 PM
I guess what throws me off is the fact that they state "can be any" and the ones like what you picture specifically state do not count toward spectrum so you know it doesnt count as one.....does that make sense......

I'm not sure, but are you talking about Any-power cards or Multipower cards?  They are different but similar.

Jack

They don't become a Strength power card after being resolved. They remain as MultiPower power card.

It's the MultiPower aspect of the card that allows it to change into a colour of spectrum but the card never actually converts into, say, a Strength power card.

An analogy would be to think of these as markers. There's the yellow, red, green and blue markers. Attacking with one of those would be like drawing a line with the marker.
The MultiPower would be like drawing with a magic marker. Even if the line drawn with the magic marker becomes yellow or red or green or blue, it was still drawn with a magic marker.

An aside:
"MultiPower" is slightly different from "Energy, Fighting, Strength or Intellect". MultiPower requires you to declare what colour spectrum you are attacking with. So, when you throw down a 4 MultiPower power card, you should say if it's one of the three/four types. If you don't declare, the opponent gets to decide. The "Energy, Fighting, Strength or Intellect" type attacks do not give the attacker the choice and it is the defender is who decides.

gameplan.exe

Along similar lines, and to further clarify the difference in specificity...

Carnage's combine Special may not be combined with a Multipower, it must be a plain Energy Power card
Quote* BLADE HAND (AE) <OP> {C}
        Acts as a level 4 Fighting attack, may combine with 1 Energy card for a
            single attack

While the Acalytes' combine Special may be combined with one of the 4 plain Power cards types, but not Multi- or Any-
Quote* EXODUS (AE) <MN> {U}
        Acts as a level 4 Any-Power attack, may combine with 1 Energy,
            Fighting, Strength, or Intellect Power card for a single attack.

And then finally, Mojo's combine Special may be combined with any power card, including Multipower and Anypower Power cards.
Quote* PRIME TIME (CX) <PS> {VR} [OPD]
        Acts as a level 5 Fighting attack. May combine with any 1 Power card
            for a single attack.

There is also the difference between Flash's
Quote* TAPPING THE SPEED FORCE (JA) <JL> {VR} [OPD]
        Discard one Energy Power card usable by The Flash to draw 4 cards from
            top of the Draw Pile. May keep duplicates.

And the Hell Fire Club's
Quote* TESSA (JA) <MN> {VR} [OPD]
     * TESSA (AA) <MN> <SD> {VR} [OPD] (ERROR: miscoded AA bottom left corner)
        Discard one MultiPower Power card usable by The Hellfire Club to draw 4
            cards from top of the Draw Pile. Keep duplicates.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

mattkoz

Quote from: Jack on February 21, 2012, 04:52:40 PM
. The "Energy, Fighting, Strength or Intellect" type attacks do not give the attacker the choice and it is the defender is who decides.

Wait... what? Are you saying if I play Prof X's Mindwipe, then I don't declare the type but the defender does?

Since we're on this:
But once it hits, it can act as whichever icon I need toward a spectrum, and it does not fuse with MultiPower cards or other multi icon special hits, right?

Jack

Quote from: mattkoz on February 21, 2012, 10:58:17 PM
Quote from: Jack on February 21, 2012, 04:52:40 PM
. The "Energy, Fighting, Strength or Intellect" type attacks do not give the attacker the choice and it is the defender is who decides.

Wait... what? Are you saying if I play Prof X's Mindwipe, then I don't declare the type but the defender does?

Since we're on this:
But once it hits, it can act as whichever icon I need toward a spectrum, and it does not fuse with MultiPower cards or other multi icon special hits, right?
I might have misspoke on that, you should be allowed to declare it.

mattkoz

OK cool. Man, the rules can really get into your head with this stuff.