Hellfire Club Madelyne Pryor

Started by Jesse, February 28, 2012, 06:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Question: Say you are playing a team that consists of The Hellfire Club, Black King, and Jean Grey. The Hellfire Clubs plays Madelyne Pryor which states: The Hellfire Club may place and play any Jean Grey special cards for remainder of game. Now the Black King has an inherent ability that says: May play any Hellfire Club special cards. If The Hellfire Club plays Madelyne Pryor does this mean that the Black King may also place and play any Jean Grey specials and/or If the Black King plays Madelyne Pryor (made possible by his inherent ability) does this mean that the Hellfire Club would be able to also place and play any Jean Grey specials?

Hopefully that is a little more clear than I feel I made it sound  ;D
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Jack

No.

The HI special only grants the character that played it the ability to use a new character's cards.

The way I like describing it is:
Black King (and pretty much all characters) start off with no specials allowed to be played.
His "passive" inherent allows him to play any Black King specials.
His explicit inherent allows him to play Hellfire Club specials.

If it were phrase in such a way that it allows him to play specials playable by Hellfire Club, then your above scenario holds.

Jesse

Quote from: Jack on February 28, 2012, 08:24:38 AM
No.

The HI special only grants the character that played it the ability to use a new character's cards.

The way I like describing it is:
Black King (and pretty much all characters) start off with no specials allowed to be played.
His "passive" inherent allows him to play any Black King specials.
His explicit inherent allows him to play Hellfire Club specials.

If it were phrase in such a way that it allows him to play specials playable by Hellfire Club, then your above scenario holds.

Thats what I figured - but I would be lying if I didn't say I had fingers crossed hoping for the other answer  ;D
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Palatinus

Remember that when a character plays another character's special you replace all instances of the original character's name on the card with the character playing it.  Therefore the special when played would read "Black King may place and play . . ."

Jesse

Quote from: Palatinus on February 28, 2012, 08:41:59 AM
Remember that when a character plays another character's special you replace all instances of the original character's name on the card with the character playing it.  Therefore the special when played would read "Black King may place and play . . ."

I assumed that, but typically when I have been assuming lately I've been wrong  :'( So I just wanted to do a double-check.

Palatinus

Quote from: Jesse on February 28, 2012, 09:07:39 AM
Quote from: Palatinus on February 28, 2012, 08:41:59 AM

I assumed that, but typically when I have been assuming lately I've been wrong  :'( So I just wanted to do a double-check.

You'll find that this rule is basically the only way that many specials can work from a battlesite.

gameplan.exe

Now, you could get Morph to (DY) Power Mimic the HI-Special (perhaps off the AoA Battlesite) to have additional flexibility. Effectively, you'd be changing all of Jean's Specials into Any Hero cards!! That's a neat idea... then you throw in the Reshuffling Event and...  :o
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

i used a hellfire team in the meet up last saturday. 

hellfire club, white queen, donald pierce, black king (reserve)

it held up really well, even against mike's dreaded beyonder team, that went through my beyonder deck like a warm knife through butter! (and all caught on video >_<)

i considered putting in jean rather than emma, but ultimately went with WQs 6i.  i should try it out the other way, and see what shakes loose

steve2275

Quote from: ncannelora on February 28, 2012, 12:12:28 PM
Now, you could get Morph to (DY) Power Mimic the HI-Special (perhaps off the AoA Battlesite) to have additional flexibility. Effectively, you'd be changing all of Jean's Specials into Any Hero cards!! That's a neat idea... then you throw in the Reshuffling Event and...  :o
i gont get
how?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on February 29, 2012, 12:10:25 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on February 28, 2012, 12:12:28 PM
i gont get
how?

Let's say your front line is Jean Grey, Hellfire Club, and Sebastian Shaw and you're using the Age Of Apocalypse Battlesite.

1. Jean Grey can use her own Specials.
2. Play the HI Special to Hellfire Club, and now they can play Jean Grey's Specials.
3. Play the DY Special from the Battlesite to Sebastian Shaw, to mimc the HI Special that's in play on Hellfire Club, and now Sebastian Shaw can play Jean Grey's Specials as well.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27