Captain Britain's Battleworthy versus Savage Land

Started by The Dude, August 05, 2010, 01:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

this actually happened earlier this month in a game I played

Should Captain Britain's Battleworthy remove the Any-Hero Savage Land from play?

Jack

On a technical level, it wouldn't remove the card. I would argue that it's doesn't really have an effect that lasts a duration, it just changes one setting of the current battle.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: The Dude on August 05, 2010, 01:30:03 AM
this actually happened earlier this month in a game I played

Should Captain Britain's Battleworthy remove the Any-Hero Savage Land from play?

No, it doesn't. It only affects cards that actually contain the text 'remainder of battle' or 'remainder of game.'

Savage land doen't contain the text. But conversely, it would dispose of a Devourer of Worlds. Also, it can be used to heal your characters of hits that have a battle or game lasting duration (so long as the text is present.) (IE: Heroes for Hire 'Iron Fist')

-BBH

The Dude

See we ended up ruling the same way that it did not affect Savage Land (my opponent was playing it to get rid of Devouerer anyway so this would have just been a second effect). But I wasn't sure because if you look at Capt. Britain's card it does not read "all cards with the text . . . are discarded", it says "all cards that affect . . ."

So those leads to two questions:

1 - if a card "affects" those things without containing the actual text in question is it eliminated.

and 2 - if the answer to 1 is yes does preventing an opponent from conceding "affect" the battle ?

Ultimatley we decided the answer to 1 was yes but 2 was no using the same reasoning as Jack above; but I felt unsure about it afterwards hence the post here.

Still it goes to show one of the great things about this game. Who would anticipate the odds of all three of those cards coming into play at the same time to even answer that question.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: The Dude on August 05, 2010, 11:12:13 AM
See we ended up ruling the same way that it did not affect Savage Land (my opponent was playing it to get rid of Devouerer anyway so this would have just been a second effect). But I wasn't sure because if you look at Capt. Britain's card it does not read "all cards with the text . . . are discarded", it says "all cards that affect . . ."

So those leads to two questions:

1 - if a card "affects" those things without containing the actual text in question is it eliminated.

and 2 - if the answer to 1 is yes does preventing an opponent from conceding "affect" the battle ?

Ultimatley we decided the answer to 1 was yes but 2 was no using the same reasoning as Jack above; but I felt unsure about it afterwards hence the post here.

Still it goes to show one of the great things about this game. Who would anticipate the odds of all three of those cards coming into play at the same time to even answer that question.

The key to the answer lies in the fact that the card has quotations around the 'remainder of battle' or 'remainder of the game.'  The quotes indicate the specific effect.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

QuoteNo, it doesn't. It only affects cards that actually contain the text 'remainder of battle' or 'remainder of game.'

Savage land doen't contain the text. But conversely, it would dispose of a Devourer of Worlds. Also, it can be used to heal your characters of hits that have a battle or game lasting duration (so long as the text is present.) (IE: Heroes for Hire 'Iron Fist')

-BBH

Seriously?! Because that is sa-weet!! Is there a meta-rule for reference? or is this from tournament-type experience?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on December 16, 2010, 02:18:37 PM
QuoteNo, it doesn't. It only affects cards that actually contain the text 'remainder of battle' or 'remainder of game.'

-BBH

Seriously?! Because that is sa-weet!! Is there a meta-rule for reference? or is this from tournament-type experience?

Yes, seriously. ;)

Meta Rule 116 outlines - Specials which target card which are 'in play' target all cards which are in play that meet the requirements of the card. This includes cares which are in play next to the character or team, cards which are in play on other characters, and cards which have landed as hits either on the current battle or in the permanent record.

-BBH

Demacus

So, say you use Battleworthy to remove Iron Fist or Supernova.  Do the characters who played those cards re-gain the ability to attack, since the card wasn't negated, simply removed?

Could Battleworthy be used in the next battle or later to remove Iron Fist or Supernova, ect, ect from the permanent record of your Captain Britain/teammate?  Does a special in the permanent record count as a special "in play?"  I know it counts that way for Morph's Power Mimic, though Power Mimic isn't exactly worded that way, I think the Meta rules altered it to change "on the table" to mean "in play" or something like that.

Jack

The characters do not regain the ability to attack.
QuoteMeta #151: Specials which have followup conditions that affect the playing Character (or playing Character's team) that are not negated still have their conditions come into play, even if avoided some other way.

QuoteMeta #116: Specials which target cards which are "in play" target all cards which are in play that meet the requirements of the card. This includes cards which are in play next to the Character or team, cards which are in play on other Characters, and cards which have landed as hits either on the current battle or in permanent record.

Jesse

Quote from: Jack on August 06, 2011, 12:47:36 PM
The characters do not regain the ability to attack.
QuoteMeta #151: Specials which have followup conditions that affect the playing Character (or playing Character's team) that are not negated still have their conditions come into play, even if avoided some other way.

QuoteMeta #116: Specials which target cards which are "in play" target all cards which are in play that meet the requirements of the card. This includes cards which are in play next to the Character or team, cards which are in play on other Characters, and cards which have landed as hits either on the current battle or in permanent record.

That sucks  ::)
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster