Professor X Mental Bolt OF

Started by Kyoujin, June 02, 2012, 12:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyoujin

Hello again OverPower Community,

What constitutes an attack?  For example, if I drew another character's Special card with X's OF, could I play it?  Could someone explain how this card works, please?

Further more, these cards appear to be made by the community; I assume they're legal for decks?

Thanks very much for your help!

-K

Jack

Here's more info regarding the card:

http://overpower.ca/archive/Ripayuheadoff/marvelguide/OF.html

And subsequently, these cards are as official as the other ones except that Marvel decide to pull the plug on OverPower before they had art commissioned and printed. These were play tested by expert players known as "The Reserves".

Their legality depends on who you play with. The Toronto group has established that these are all legal. We're also hoping to have a real printed set of these out soon (2-3 months probably at this point).

Kyoujin

Thanks Jack!  I only need a few of them, so I've decided to print them off on high quality photo paper.  So far, they look great!  I'll take a photo of them and post them in the customs when I'm finished.

Also, the rulings bring up further questions, and don't answer others.

The card doesn't not state I have to discard duplicates; is this correct?  Also, I can keep the card in my hand?

If I drew a Special from one of my other characters, could Prof X play it?

Thanks again!

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Kyoujin on June 02, 2012, 01:19:17 AM
Thanks Jack!  I only need a few of them, so I've decided to print them off on high quality photo paper.  So far, they look great!  I'll take a photo of them and post them in the customs when I'm finished.

Also, the rulings bring up further questions, and don't answer others.

The card doesn't not state I have to discard duplicates; is this correct?  Also, I can keep the card in my hand?

If I drew a Special from one of my other characters, could Prof X play it?

Thanks again!

The card must be played.
As it never actually goes into your hand, it won't count as duplicate.
He can play any card, as long as it acts as an attack. So, if he draws, say, X-Man's GJ, he plays it and X-Man can make the follow up, as usual. If he draws a teamwork, he plays it (regardless of the "to use") and his teammates make the follow up. The exception there is, if a follow up is required, but it's not available, the attack can't be played (like an ally with no Special to play, or Teamwork with no legal power card for follow up)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Kyoujin

The Dude

On the topic of this card if it's negated do you still get the "if defended" effect? Or does the negate cancel both halves of the card?

Jack

Negate cancels out all effects of the card. So you ignore the text of the card.

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on June 02, 2012, 04:50:41 AM
The card must be played.
He can play any card, as long as it acts as an attack. So, if he draws, say, X-Man's GJ, he plays it and X-Man can make the follow up, as usual. If he draws a teamwork, he plays it (regardless of the "to use") and his teammates make the follow up. The exception there is, if a follow up is required, but it's not available, the attack can't be played (like an ally with no Special to play, or Teamwork with no legal power card for follow up)

Is that right? I seem to recall someone saying the card goes into your hand, but you don't have to play it immediately. So basically you have the option of playing it or not. (I prefer what you said by the way.)

Also, are you saying that if you draw a teamwork or ally but dont have the required follow-up it must be discarded or  kept in hand and cant be used.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on July 08, 2012, 06:13:44 PM
Quote from: ncannelora on June 02, 2012, 04:50:41 AM
The card must be played.

Is that right? I seem to recall someone saying the card goes into your hand, but you don't have to play it immediately. So basically you have the option of playing it or not. (I prefer what you said by the way.)

Also, are you saying that if you draw a teamwork or ally but dont have the required follow-up it must be discarded or  kept in hand and cant be used.

huh... well, per Jack's link, it doesn't HAVE to be played... I never read that info before this, though. In our group, we always just played it immediately, but checking the Meta Rules shows nothing to indicate it must be used immediately... I think we always just assumed it was true because it never says anything about going into your hand, only about using it or discarding it. I figured those were the only options (at the moment of drawing). As for the follow-up requirements, we always played this card like the FB specials (snowbird for Alpha Flight). Meta Rule #140 says if a follow-up is required of the card, then it must be available when the card is drawn...

it just seems like putting the card into your hand creates too much room for shadiness... even if the card is shown, how would I know if they have the necessary follow up for an Ally card (e.g.), if they aren't playing it immediately? then later they play an HQ or something... idk. I mean, none of the rules say the attack MUST be played immediately, it just seems correct to me, i guess  ;)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Palatinus

The wording on the card is "draw the top card".  Draw means take a card from your library and put it into your hand.  The rest of the card talks about playing the card and discarding the card, implying that the card is in your hand.  Not sure if that makes more sense because I agree with Ncann in that it just seems like the card was intended to give you a follow up attack not to refill your hand.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on July 10, 2012, 03:43:02 PM
The wording on the card is "draw the top card".  Draw means take a card from your library and put it into your hand.  The rest of the card talks about playing the card and discarding the card, implying that the card is in your hand.  Not sure if that makes more sense because I agree with Ncann in that it just seems like the card was intended to give you a follow up attack not to refill your hand.

Agreed. To me, at least in a face to face meeting, the shadiness is eliminated if the card is played immediately. Once it goes in your hand how would your opponent know what happened? If the card was a duplicate and played immediately there's no issue. But if you have a 7e and draw another and end up conceding or having to discard cards through some other means, how does the opponent know the duplicate was actually from the OF draw? You could have already had the duplicate card in your hand and used the OF draw as cover. Not saying people would do this but it does create the possibility.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on July 10, 2012, 06:19:44 PM
Quote from: Palatinus on July 10, 2012, 03:43:02 PM

Agreed. To me, at least in a face to face meeting, the shadiness is eliminated if the card is played immediately. Once it goes in your hand how would your opponent know what happened? If the card was a duplicate and played immediately there's no issue. But if you have a 7e and draw another and end up conceding or having to discard cards through some other means, how does the opponent know the duplicate was actually from the OF draw? You could have already had the duplicate card in your hand and used the OF draw as cover. Not saying people would do this but it does create the possibility.

i'm not sure if our group is honest or naive, but the issue of that potential shadiness just never occurred to us. also, as often as not, i'd just as soon play it immediately anyway, since it lets me keep the pressure on!  ;)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

AO user

[/quote]

The card must be played.
[/quote]

Question of ownership: if prof draws cyclops FT focused fire and plays it, does prof own it or cyclops? The quote suggests that the card name is owner (xman's gj as example)