(OK) Disinformation – Black Widow

Started by Steino, November 08, 2012, 10:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steino

Play with any power card usable by Black Widow.  Opponent must discard one or more cards whose combined value is equal to or greater than twice the value of Black Widow's card.  Cards may be placed or in hand.

Looks like a new code and no meta ruling (that I can find) exists.  She is the only one with this code.

My question comes from the perspective of the opponent. What does value mean?  Is it potential venture value as the card sit in hand/placed?  Activators, non-numerical specials, Tactic-Artifacts etc. do these count as zero?  If I am correct, is it possible to wipe out an opponent's hand and placed cards in one shot?

gameplan.exe

well, the biggest power card she can play is a 7, right? let's even pretend she can play an 8 through some other means (like White Queen's MARVELS card from a Battlesite)...
so, she discards an 8, now the opponent must discard the value total >=16. it is POSSIBLE, that your opponent could have a hand full of cards that average 2 points per card, but it seems unlikely. most people probably wouldn't play a hand with only 16 points of Venture in it, unless they had a ton of defense available (which wouldn't be discarded since they have no quantifiable value, only potential value). so, while it's a good tricky card, I don't know if it'll win a battle outright, particularly because she still has to play 2 cards. if you really break it down, you could basically count this special as a duplicate Power card, when estimating venture potential at the start of a hand.

now, the other thing you touched on... I've been curious about myself and wonder what the general impression is from the community. how would you value a card like an Gambit's Kinetic Detonation or Angel's Neurotoxins? is it based on the initial attack value, or the final Venture value?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

My interpretation would be this:

Any card with a direct numerical Attack/Damage value with one of the 5 icons is what you consider for determining 'value'

I would also suggest that you consider the successful numerical value, so something like a 2 that becomes and 8 if it hits would be counted as an 8 for this.

Anything else - non-numeric specials, activators etc without a numeric attack value printed on the card itself would be ignored when tallying this. Even an add 3 to venture wouldn't apply because there's no icon to consider.

Obviously as this is a 'Marvels' card, there's no official ruling, and as you say, no meta rule. This is simply how I interpreted the card when I read it.

-BBH

Steino

Quote from: BigBadHarve on November 08, 2012, 10:34:52 AM
My interpretation would be this:

Any card with a direct numerical Attack/Damage value with one of the 5 icons is what you consider for determining 'value'

I would also suggest that you consider the successful numerical value, so something like a 2 that becomes and 8 if it hits would be counted as an 8 for this.

Anything else - non-numeric specials, activators etc without a numeric attack value printed on the card itself would be ignored when tallying this. Even an add 3 to venture wouldn't apply because there's no icon to consider.

Obviously as this is a 'Marvels' card, there's no official ruling, and as you say, no meta rule. This is simply how I interpreted the card when I read it.

-BBH

I was interpreting it slightly harsher.

Cards with a direct numerical Attack value with one of the 5 icons is used for consideration as “value.”

Conditional values would not be considered since they don’t exist until certain conditions are met.

Any card without a numerical attack value would be considered zero.

I don’t like my interpretation, but it seems logical.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Steino on November 08, 2012, 11:02:00 AM

I was interpreting it slightly harsher.

Cards with a direct numerical Attack value with one of the 5 icons is used for consideration as "value."

Conditional values would not be considered since they don't exist until certain conditions are met.

Any card without a numerical attack value would be considered zero.

I don't like my interpretation, but it seems logical.
even if the others are considered zeros, you wouldn't be required to discard them, though. I mean, if she played this with a 5, you could discard Clobberin' Time and be done with it, you know?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

the card is living up to its name  :)
and its why i stick with straight up icon attacks  :P
im done in here.......carry on

breadmaster

useless card. if it was 'discard any power card...', rather than 'play with...' it would be better.  draw a negate, or gain card advantage

if it could be played defensively with a power card, it would be great! (too great, unfortunately)

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on November 08, 2012, 06:54:57 PM
http://overpower.ca/archive/Ripayuheadoff/marvelguide/OK.html

this seems to sum up all my questions. an EJ counts for the higher damage, 8 or 10 depending, but those 6 and -4 to venture still only count as 6.  :D
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

AO user

Must / can loyal soldier (sabra's MH defensive special) be discarded in response to this card?  It was an icon with a 9 BUT has no venture value.  This came up in a game last Sunday . 

chuu

i would say yes, you can discard Sabra's 9 in response to Disinformation.  The card itself doesn't say that it must be an attack value, just a value.

ekemisvo

For this card and Thunderbolts - Songbird, do you use this with a power card you are using to attack and they still have to defend the power card you use, or are you just discarding the power card used with this card?

chuu

you are just discarding the power card with this card.