'may only be defended with ____' and shifting

Started by breadmaster, December 27, 2012, 05:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

for example, longshot: Acts as a level 3 Fighting attack. Can only be defended by a level 3 Power card. If defended, Power card hits Longshot.

1) i assume this cannot be shifted with a special card

2) what about a special that has already been played .  the attack is not being 'defended' in that it hits, but it is being shifted by the special (examples: EB {stars and garters}, vertigo, or a permanent shift {onslaught or mandarin})

3) what about shifting by other means.  some i can think of are: four freedoms inherent/dark phoenix event/image inducer.  image inducer required the active 'using' of a card to shift, but the other 2 can shift without 'doing' anything

BasiliskFang

i feel that if there is any instance where it is defended by a power card, that power card hits longshot.

BigBadHarve

Meta #44: When a card specifies what cards may (or may not) be used to defend it, this includes ALL cards used in the defense.

So yes, you cannot play any card in defense that is not specified by the special - in the Longshot scenario, anything that is not a level 3 power card.

That also means, for example, that you can't use a battlesite to defend Captain America's BA (Super Soldier - may only be defended with a special) because in order to grab the special from the site you must play an activator, which itself is not a special)

As for cards already in play - that's different. Either of these COULD be stopped with an EB already in play, unless something prevented the shift to the special that will be absorbing it.

-BBH

BasiliskFang

I feel that as long as the last resolve is the requirement then it would be defended.
If an activator leads to a special to defend the ba. Or if the shift leads to the defense of one 1 in a million.

thetrooper27

Why do you suppose the EB's can snag the One in a Million?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

BasiliskFang

lol i wasn't going there.

if a ba comes at me then i think an activator should be ok, bc it is immediately exchanged for the avoid.
if longshot targets reed (while his team is using 4FP or image inducer and so on...) making it shift and shifts it to someone else and they use a power card to defend then i feel that would be okay. but its not so meh.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: BasiliskFang on January 03, 2013, 04:14:50 AM
lol i wasn't going there.

if a ba comes at me then i think an activator should be ok, bc it is immediately exchanged for the avoid.
if longshot targets reed (while his team is using 4FP or image inducer and so on...) making it shift and shifts it to someone else and they use a power card to defend then i feel that would be okay. but its not so meh.

I agree - it SHOULD be only the card that stops the attack that's considered to be the one defending. But somewhere along the way they needlessly complicated this game with counter-intuitive rulings that killed the whole thing.

But don't get me started on that rant... :P

-BBH

thetrooper27

I would enjoy that rant BBH. Let it out buddy.:P

But why are the EB specials any different?  You have to move the attack to the EB... isn't that shifting?

BasiliskFang

The question should be, can you shift super solider or 1 in a million? No, you can't. Not with ac, not with 4fp, not with image inducer and not to eb.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: thetrooper27 on January 03, 2013, 12:27:35 PM
I would enjoy that rant BBH. Let it out buddy.:P

But why are the EB specials any different?  You have to move the attack to the EB... isn't that shifting?

Because EB specials are already in play. They absorb the hit, rather than 'defend' the hit. In some cases you can't shift - like specials that may not be affected by a card with the word teammate... or situations that prevent a shift. But aside from those moving a hit to an EB in play is legal, even if the attack cannot be defended with a special card.

Quote from: BasiliskFang on January 03, 2013, 12:53:50 PM
The question should be, can you shift super solider or 1 in a million? No, you can't. Not with ac, not with 4fp, not with image inducer and not to eb.

Actually, yes you can.

Super soldier CAN be shifted with an AC because it's a special card. It can be shifted by an image inducer because the inducer is already in play. You can't shift with the FFP inherent, though,  because that also requires a power card defense which is ruled out by the Super Soldier card's defensive requirement.

One in a million CANNOT be shifted by and AC because it's not a level 3 power card... but it CAN be shifted with an inducer because the inducer would already be in play. (Inducer cannot be played defensively). You can also shift One in a Million with FFP inherent, because that's an inherent and you don't require a played card to use it, and the defense with a power card is mandatory for FFP, so shifting to stop with a 3 power card is legal.

In both cases, a shift to an EB is legal because the EB's are already in play and thus not being used defensively.

Clear as mud?  :P

-BBH

BasiliskFang

thetrooper27

Good word... though one in a million kinda stinks now.  Maybe not... depends on the situation.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: thetrooper27 on January 03, 2013, 10:45:29 PM
Good word... though one in a million kinda stinks now.  Maybe not... depends on the situation.

It absolutely does not stink. That card is still evil. 9 times out of 10 it will not be stopped. And as KO shot, it's nasty.

-BBH

thetrooper27