Green Lantern

Started by Palatinus, June 19, 2011, 09:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

Has anyone gone to see this yet?  I almost did yesterday, but with the very poor Rotten Tomatoes rating, I couldn't bring myself to spend the money.  If anyone has seen it and has any info on whether or not it is good, that would be appreciated.

metaphist

Well I saw it the other day, and I can say that, from the perspective of someone who doesn't know jack about Green Lantern comics, it was pretty good. But I've come to expect bad reviews from true fans when it comes to these affairs, so I'm sure you're mileage will vary accordingly. It definitely follows the tried and true formula for these types of movies, so if you've grown weary of that sort of thing...

Having said that, it wasn't too jokey IMO with Ryan Ryenolds at the helm, as I thought it might be. I do think the powers of the Lantern's weren't nearly as showcased as they could've been though. Again, haven't read the comics, but just from a conceptual standpoint they could have gotten pretty radical there, but kept it fairly tame. I suppose that's expected in this context though, being an origins story.

In short, I enjoyed it and would recommend it. I think we should all be stepping into comic movies with a grain of salt at this point anyway.

Nostalgic

I give it a 6 or 6.5. I don't know much about GL either, but I did feel the characters were short-changed. I liked Sinestro, definitely a soldier, and wish more would have been done with him as a 'good guy'.  The suit looked good sometimes and fake others. I saw this and thor in the same trip so I got my money's worth.  8)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Yeah, I didn't love it either. There were some fun parts, but it was pretty uninspired.

Next up, Captain America!

-BBH

Kal-el

Quote from: BigBadHarve on June 20, 2011, 10:28:03 AM
Yeah, I didn't love it either. There were some fun parts, but it was pretty uninspired.

Next up, Captain America!

-BBH

I haven't seen GL yet, but Captain America is the one I'm excited for.

The Dude

I liked it. I'm not much of DC comics fan, but GL is a hero I always liked in the few exposures I had to him plus the fact it had an actual real star and trailers that looked tremendous had me hyped up for it. Overall I thought it was a good first movie in terms of getting an origin out of the way and setting us up for a bigger future movie. The villain does look dang cool (for a digital creation) plus the Hal-Sinestro is tremendous. Is it a great film? Nah. But it's a fun diversion and I will probably buy it on dvd (which is more than I can say for Thor). Plus it already inspired me to make a few homemades so it can't be all bad.

Ranerdar

Quote from: Palatinus on June 19, 2011, 09:26:47 AM
Has anyone gone to see this yet?  I almost did yesterday, but with the very poor Rotten Tomatoes rating, I couldn't bring myself to spend the money.  If anyone has seen it and has any info on whether or not it is good, that would be appreciated.

It's certainly way better than the RT rating would suggest. Yes, if follows the formula of a comic book origins movie. They all do. Yes, there's a lot of CGI in the movie. Tell me how to make a GL movie without CGI. Will it be the best comic book movie of the year? No. It's not even the best comic movie of June. But was it worth the $6.00 bucks I paid for the non-3D showing. Absolutely. Also, not once did I check my watch to see how much longer was left. Which always bumps up a movie for me.

I've also read reviews calling it to Battlefield Earth bad. Which is just rediculous.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Palatinus

Quote from: Ranerdar on June 23, 2011, 04:34:32 PM
I've also read reviews calling it to Battlefield Earth bad. Which is just rediculous.

. . . That movie was unbelievably bad.

Kyle

Only Battlefield Earth is "Battlefield Earth bad".