Set of Marvels, properly printed

Started by BigBadHarve, April 12, 2012, 04:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattkoz

To the market factor, my guess is most people buying in for a Marvels set already own the any power and multis from other sets. I question the real impact on the market, and the people that would be hating on that probably aren't much fans of OP and likely monopolizing collectors in it for their own financial gain. But I can see where we might not want to even stir the pot and draw any unwanted copyright attention.

However, I still say Make Mine Marvel!

Jesse

Any way to see what artwork is proposed for the cards?
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Jack

I understand where you're coming from. The true collectors would still value the real cards and the people that play (not a disjoint set) would like to have the cards for their decks. My guess would be that the market wouldn't be affected by these prints but you never know. The surge of Beyonders on eBay in the recent weeks has shown that there's still some interest in it. If we were to print Beyonder (which we won't) my guess is that the number of bidders will decline and thus not cause prices to go as high -- which is actually a good thing. I spoke to the Orange King about this and he was okay with the idea of reprinting 5 Multi and the like.

Another issue that arises with printing currently existing cards is counterfeit. We would literally be making counterfeit cards, going by the definition of counterfeit.

Another problem is the reselling of this printed set (or subset/singles) of Marvels. We're thinking of forcingencouraging everyone that buys a set of these to not sell them off. We might run into problems with lawyers if a card makes it into the market. The business model that Marvel/Disney has is profiting from the likeness of these characters. By making any profit (profit defined as purchase price - cost) from these cards we would be infringing on their business model and lawyers come knocking on someone's door.

My guess is that everyone buying a set of cards is a fan of OverPower and likes the Marvels expansion enough to fund a small run of prints for it. We're doing it for the fans, there should be no reason to even sell these off.

---

We're not even at the stage where we're deciding on artwork. We'll have a group of people working on the Marvels expansion and we'll figure it out then. My guess is that these will be replacing the ones currently on our site so there will be previews before the prints are done.

Jesse

cool. thanks jack

if i can do anything to help with it i would be glad to
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Oscorp

I'm rubber and you're glue...

Demacus

I already posted via the Facebook page but wanted to make sure it wasn't overlooked. So, check the facebook page for my order.  lol

Bios

That's an amazing initiative, Jack!   

Quote from: Jack on April 12, 2012, 05:34:11 PM
We're trying not to destroy the market for cards that are still worth something on eBay. Printing AP Teamworks will not ruin any market because people who want (and can afford it) will still buy it for collection purposes.
Quote from: Jack on April 12, 2012, 11:26:47 PM
The true collectors would still value the real cards and the people that play (not a disjoint set) would like to have the cards for their decks. My guess would be that the market wouldn't be affected by these prints but you never know. The surge of Beyonders on eBay in the recent weeks has shown that there's still some interest in it.

You couldn't destroy the market by printing the AP TW or other extremely rare cards. If we were back in the days, you could even discourage a regular player to buy packs, trying to get a DoW or a Leech.

But after so many years, people who are willing to bid high for singles are collectors, and having a high quality proxy or a counterfeit, as you said, won't change their need for the real deal.

On the contrary, printing proxys from commons could affect the market, since a regular or new player, who doesn't care much about collecting, would have a cheaper option than buying the official cards.

Besides it, printing rarities would benefit players, who have been playing with lower quality proxys for many years. Or someone thinks that there is someone out there who doesn't have a Leech, but didn't buy one yet just because he believes he will bumb into a cheap offer someday?

Quote from: Jack on April 12, 2012, 11:26:47 PMIf we were to print Beyonder (which we won't) my guess is that the number of bidders will decline and thus not cause prices to go as high -- which is actually a good thing. I spoke to the Orange King about this and he was okay with the idea of reprinting 5 Multi and the like.

Another issue that arises with printing currently existing cards is counterfeit. We would literally be making counterfeit cards, going by the definition of counterfeit.

Another problem is the reselling of this printed set (or subset/singles) of Marvels.

That would be a real problem. If there is someone out there that could try to fool a buyer by selling a pig in a poke.  Maybe you should consider to include a phrase in the cards like "This card is a copy printed by fans. Not for sale", just like the copyright info in the cards from Image set.

I don't think any lawyers would bother with such small scale as OP is today. If you were thinking on printing MTG or VS Sys, tht could be another story.   

Just my two cents

mattkoz

It would be easy to put a small marker on them to differentiate as Bios mentions. We could always design any reprints with new art so they were obviously different from the originals.

I'm giddy to think these will be such a quality to even consider there could be confusion on counterfeit.

Kal-el

Yeah, I figured the (few) reprints would have different art anyway. I four-stat Galactus and a Beyond with a proper inherent would be nice, plus the 5 multi and 6 and 8 anys. Those wouldn't really be counterfit (the power cards anyway) since they don't exist in Marvel.

Jack

We are definitely putting a noticeable disclaimer on the backs of the cards with "NOT FOR RESALE" on it. We're going to be a bit more strict than the "NOT FOR PROFIT" clause we had because we simply want the original buyers to keep them.

As for lawyers, don't forget who we're dealing with here. It's Disney, the people who decided that their copyrights should be extended to 70 years upon death of the author from 14. OverPower, the game, is likely not going to draw attention from lawyers, it's the images (likeness) of the characters that would cause problems.

Kal-el

Good idea on the disclaimer.

I completely agree that fearing Disney is a good idea, OrangeKing has been including Marvels prints in his auctions for awhile. I realize that he's including them as free additions, but I'm sure Disney's lawyers would tear right through that regardless.

The best way to do this I think, regardless of which cards are printed (and I agree Jack, Overpower isn't the issue, it's art of the characters) is that they will be printed once and given to those that paid the production costs, and they'll never be 'sold' online. ever.

mattkoz

Frankly, if people tried to sell them, it seems that would be on them not the original producer. I don't know the law that well, but what we're talking about seems to be in the spirit of fair use. Maybe I'm ignorant.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Kal-el on April 13, 2012, 01:16:34 PM
Good idea on the disclaimer.

I completely agree that fearing Disney is a good idea, OrangeKing has been including Marvels prints in his auctions for awhile. I realize that he's including them as free additions, but I'm sure Disney's lawyers would tear right through that regardless.

The best way to do this I think, regardless of which cards are printed (and I agree Jack, Overpower isn't the issue, it's art of the characters) is that they will be printed once and given to those that paid the production costs, and they'll never be 'sold' online. ever.

In addition to having something printed on the cards themselves, it seems like it might be worthwhile to have the people ordering these sign a waiver/agreement form to further protect the producers of this re-print... I know I'd be more than happy to sign such an agreement  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Another thing we'll do is have everyone involved on the Invoice. Since we are simply a group of fans who are chipping in for a personal product that is not being marketed, this will help cover us on that front.

Before we go to print, we'll have a lock from all involved parties. Jack and I discussed capping it as well. We may stop at 54 sets out of necessity (we have to order in increments of 18, for whatever reason that's how this company works). We may be overdoing it playing it safe, but better to err on the side of caution, methinks.

But as it stands, the next step is designing the cards. Jack and I had a brief discussion on the borders. We agreed that the border should be distinct from any existing set. But that's as far as we've gotten. One step at a time... :P

-BBH

mattkoz

Agree on the borders & look/feel being unique. It would be fun to have some font and design samples and put it to a vote of forum members, if you don't think that would create too much drama.