Max 6 Teams

Started by Photonicide, December 23, 2017, 03:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photonicide

Hello all!

I have finished the remaining cards for my max 6 team expansion! This set is meant to increase the playability of max 6 characters, as so many characters fall into this category and almost none see play! The level 0 power cards, which are the other half of this expansion can be found here on this website Level 0 Power Cards or on my website MaxSixOverpower.com I have also included a homebase for an overly high stat team and a battlesite specifically for any hero/character specials. This battlesite is meant to be played with the new rules from Power Balance and OP3 that say that battlesites can be destroyed the same way that characters can and that the hits count towards venture (1/2 the value, round down). This set is also meant to be played with level 0 Power cards counting as duplicates of level 7 and 8 Power cards but will receive double bonus from Universe cards and allow you to draw a card, discarding duplicates after playing it. Also with the rule variant that makes all Basic Universe and Universe Training cards OPDs with the addition of them drawing you a card, discarding duplicates, after using one of them.

I am curious to know what you all think about the balance of these cards as a set and if you think they are too over or under powered.

**************UPDATE*************
All of the rules for this set as well as high resolution images can be found at my website www.MaxSixOverpower.com
**************UPDATE*************

justa

based on IA, i think the Attilan location gives you the best chance of surviving.  but i could be wrong.
Mr Immortal would be more fun if it was reshuffled into the Draw Pile, but again, justa my opinion.
i personally prefer the cards "with bleed".

Photonicide

Hey Justa, thanks for your feedback! I agree about Attilan and Mr. Immortal. I didn't want the tedium of reshuffling one card in but it makes the card much more powerful! I think I will change it. Also, here are my original ideas for the IA for Atlantis and Utopia.

"You may remove a hit from the permanent record of any character or battlesite after playing a level 0 power card from your hand. May keep one duplicate level 0 power card."

"You may draw a card after playing a level 0 power card from your hand, keep duplicates. May keep one duplicate level 0 power card."

I felt these would make them a little too powerful but maybe it will make these teams just strong enough to be viable. What do you think?

justa

well, i really wasn't trying to get you to change them.  but since you asked, why not just change Utopia to something like "may keep 1 duplicate power card of each number" instead?  no other advantage should be needed.  only play testing will tell for sure if any of them are competitive.  chris' Swarm strategy allowed duplicate power cards with no restrictions, but had other limitations as well, such as a maximum of 4 level 0 power cards, and no attacks >6 in deck.  (and i know his was play tested, at least by his group).

Photonicide

Let me see how well a swarm type deck fares with my other rule changes. I think I am going to update the IA of my three max 6 locations to be the following.

"+2 to defend attacks of 5 or greater. Level 0 power cards are +5 when used to attack from your hand. +3 to venture total per battle."

"At the start of each battle you may remove a hit from the permanent record of any character/battlesite. After playing a level 0 power card from your hand, you may draw a card, discard duplicates."

"Once per battle, you may use a power card from your power pack to make an attack/defense, may be combined with universe cards. If the attack/defense is successful, add 5 to venture total."

Any thoughts?

justa

they're your cards - have fun with it.
you may even want to consider upping the "tournament legal" to 80, or just doing away with the limitation all together.  a max-6 team is already at a significant disadvantage.
you also may want to consider reevaluating the Worldship - there are plenty of locations that allow a team of greater than 76 with a positive IA.  see here:  http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/custom-cards/image-overpower/30/ (about halfway down the page).

justa

i just checked out your card remakes.  i like the adjustments.  the only card i question is Mr Immortal.  the card is a defensive action, which by definition is not negate-able as far as i am aware.

Photonicide

It's true. My brothers like to play with the house rule that they can negate anything so I wanted to include it when I play against them  ;D

Photonicide

I just had the cards printed using makeplayingcards.com and they look great! If anyone is interested in a set feel free to email me at MaxSixOverpower@gmail.com
Too many cards to hold a whole set in one hand but here are how they turned out!

fennshysa

Wow! Those look pretty nice! 

justa

i went back to look at the Emporium for the precise rules for Swarm decks.  the bonus is that you get to keep duplicate Power cards.  the drawbacks are that your deck may not contain any cards with an attack value greater than 6, nor any cards that draw more than 2 cards or require Opponent to discard more than 2 cards Placed or in hand.  Cards that are indeterminate on how many cards to draw or discard (e.g. Power Leach) are limited to 2 cards.  There were quite a few Special cards created (e.g. returning to hand or draw pile if defended, or limiting Opponent's attack ability if successful) that really helped make it work.  Plus 2 Aspects:  1 to keep dupe Specials ROG, and 1 to DTR after defending with a Power card.  In addition, his rules are that ANY deck may contain only 4 or less level 0 Power cards.
     it took me a while to figure out how to build a decent deck, but eventually i got to the point where i could take down the strongest of teams; not all the time, but a decent enough proportion to make the game fun.
     and justa to restate what i've said in other posts:  i am NOT justabgkid (read justa a big kid) - I'M justabiglo (read justa Big L O).  i just happened to get into his work and talk to him back when he was posting.  but i thought this might pertain to your thoughts on max-6 teams...

Photonicide

Making rules that are balanced is so challenging! It's great to hear that those swarm rules worked well! I know that the emporium had made some level 0 power cards but I could only find them in very low resolution from their website, which was one of the reasons that I thought it would be fun to make my own  :D

justa

yes, all of Chris' cards were posted at low resolution.  i believe he only had limited space on the server he was using.  he used to include a homemade or 2 in with his ebay sales, and those were better resolution.  but the completed strategies worked well and were a lot of fun trying out.