Negate a Negate

Started by Palatinus, April 16, 2011, 06:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Grey

I know, right? Learning lots of new things in these forums.

Nostalgic

Quote from: metaphist on April 27, 2011, 01:43:36 PM
Quote from: Palatinus on April 24, 2011, 09:33:00 AM
Quote from: Nate Grey on April 23, 2011, 07:39:40 PM

Not all that long ago I learned your opponent could remove a Special card hit from the current battle using an offensively played negate. So you are also saying you could remove a Special that is on your permanent record that same way?

Unless it is Morbius's negate.   :P

Wow, removing hits with a Negate is news to me. I see more and more why they are so valuable. But now that I look at it, Morbius's Negate is one of those cards you can reverse engineer a rule from whether or not it's explicitly stated.

Funny thing with morbius with his 'restricted' negate is they gave him 2 other cards, a 'remove one hit' and a 'aoid 1 numerical attack', to do what a unrestricted negate could have done in the first place.  :D  I guess it adds t his...'uniqueness'.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Palatinus

Morbius has the same problem a lot of early characters have where they didn't know what was going to make a character too powerful or too weak.  I do think they did a better job of making him themed though.  I like the idea of more characters with a larger variety of negates too.  The straight up negate, the personal negate, the morbius negate, and then maybe they could have come up with a couple of others.  Maybe a teammate negate and an only on your turn negate.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on April 28, 2011, 08:44:36 AM
Morbius has the same problem a lot of early characters have where they didn't know what was going to make a character too powerful or too weak.  I do think they did a better job of making him themed though.  I like the idea of more characters with a larger variety of negates too.  The straight up negate, the personal negate, the morbius negate, and then maybe they could have come up with a couple of others.  Maybe a teammate negate and an only on your turn negate.

True.
Also, in a lot of ways, I think Morbius' negate is more useful than the personal negates.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on April 28, 2011, 01:24:04 PM
Quote from: Palatinus on April 28, 2011, 08:44:36 AM

True.
Also, in a lot of ways, I think Morbius' negate is more useful than the personal negates.

Yeah, Morbius' negate became a lot more useful as more and more non-numerical specials became prevalent.

I think a Morbius style negate would be a good option for some 8 Stat characters. That way you can have someone like Dr. Doom with a negate, but it's not a FULL negate. Though, in my humble opinion, I would argue that Doom warrants a full negate....  but you catch my drift.

-BBH

Demacus

Yeah.  I vote we change Time Machine from an AJ to an AO for Doctor Doom!  lol

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on September 18, 2011, 03:14:26 AM

i somehow dont see how thats so great

Basically, it negates anything that's not numerical. So, it will negate a hold (AV, FN, etc), as well as card advantage Specials (HQ, OC, BY, etc), and it will still prevent other trickeration cards, which affect Venture Total or Ventured Missions (EN, AW, etc).

Also, it's just nice because it's another person with a negate, who does not get much play time, otherwise. I agree with BBH, it'd be nice if Dr.Doom had this kind of negate. He's a max-8, so for the sake of balance, his negate should be "nerf'd" a little, maybe.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

a_noble_kaz

If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower.

gameplan.exe

- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

Yes, any special played on an offensive turn (unless it says otherwise on the card) can be negated. That includes healing specials, Draw 3's, 'Play to Concede' cards, etc.

steve2275

there goes my chances of winning
you cant negate from reserve right

Demacus

Not unless your reserve can somehow get around the restrictions of being in reserve...