couple more questions (allys and negates)

Started by breadmaster, March 08, 2011, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

1) can an activator be used to follow up an ally card?  can an any hero?

2) can you negate placed specials that haven't been played yet?

BigBadHarve

1) No. Activators are not specials, and as such may not follow allies. On the Any Hero front, even though they are specials, it was ruled that they must also be played as their own action, and therefore cannot follow up an Ally.

2) Also no. You can only negate a special that has been played. Of course, there are other cards to force your opponent to discard placed cards.

-BBH

breadmaster

thanks guys...here's 3 more questions

1) can any power cards be used to follow up a teamwork?

2) can you negate a special on a dead character to reduce opponent's venture total?

3) why did the dinosaurs die out?

rucker73

"Wade! into action!"

breadmaster

ok, here's another one

omega red's special that says his stats (forget which) increase to 7 in the next battle.  is the increase permanent, or does it only last that battle?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on March 10, 2011, 04:08:08 AM
ok, here's another one

omega red's special that says his stats (forget which) increase to 7 in the next battle.  is the increase permanent, or does it only last that battle?

Only that one battle, stupidly enough.

-BBH

breadmaster

so one battle, where i may, or may not draw a single card that matters...ouch

though i guess if it was for the game, it would be awfully powerful from a battlesite

ok, here's another question

regarding 'avoid one attack made with a universe card' cards: if you're attacked with an ally card, could this card be used to avoid the follow up, or just the ally card itself?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on March 10, 2011, 03:15:09 PM

though i guess if it was for the game, it would be awfully powerful from a battlesite

regarding 'avoid one attack made with a universe card' cards: if you're attacked with an ally card, could this card be used to avoid the follow up, or just the ally card itself?

I don't think it would be any more powerful than other grid modifiers that are remainder of game.

For the Ally question - no, the follow up special is not considered to be 'boosted' by the ally and is therefore not a universe card attack. The ally simply activates the special.

-BBH

Nate Grey

Good questions, breadmaster. I had some of those questions as well. Its kind of nice knowing some of us are still in the learning stages. There's so much new stuff to learn.

Dog

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 10, 2011, 03:53:54 PM
Quote from: breadmaster on March 10, 2011, 03:15:09 PM

I don't think it would be any more powerful than other grid modifiers that are remainder of game.

For the Ally question - no, the follow up special is not considered to be 'boosted' by the ally and is therefore not a universe card attack. The ally simply activates the special.

-BBH

But the avoid does work on teamwork follow-ups, right?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Dog on March 11, 2011, 08:35:07 AM
But the avoid does work on teamwork follow-ups, right?

Yes, as the power card is considered to be part of the Universe card attack, ergo a universe card.

That also means you can't use an 'only universe' defensive special to stop a teamwork, but you can use it against a special that's initiated by an ally.

-BBH

Dog

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 11, 2011, 09:17:53 AM
That also means you can't use an 'only universe' defensive special to stop a teamwork, but you can use it against a special that's initiated by an ally.

-BBH

Can you give an example?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Dog on March 11, 2011, 09:30:12 AM
Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 11, 2011, 09:17:53 AM

-BBH

Can you give an example?

Yes, Beast's 'Acrobatics' card, and She Hulk's 'Elbow Grease' both protect the character from everything BUT universe cards.

"Only attacks made with Universe cards may be played against Beast for remainder of battle."

So that card won't stop a teamwork or its follow ups. It won't stop an Ally, but it WILL stop a special played as a follow up to an Ally because the special isn't considered part of the universe card.

-BBH

Dog

Okay, right, that makes sense.  Thanks!

Nate Grey

I've got a question here. If an opponent's character is hit with a GA special (ie Sentinels - Mutant Countermeasures), does that prevent the character from being defended by Activators?