Battlesite questions - Activators and playing specials

Started by metaphist, April 03, 2011, 01:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

Quote from: Jack on April 08, 2011, 10:51:23 AM
For anyone wondering, I've done the look up and there doesn't exist another character that has the property like Storm: Neutralized in a battlesite.

That's really too bad.  I mean, how great would it be if 1) I had a whole bunch of Team X cards and 2) They were on a battlesite.  That would be really fun.

steve2275

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 05, 2011, 10:44:13 AM
Quote from: metaphist on April 05, 2011, 08:37:05 AM
Can clone characters' specials be used in a Battlesite? As in using Beast specials under Age of Apocalypse which houses Dark Beast. Seems like a dumb question, but I assumed you can't use Beast instead of Dark Beast in the team when using it as a Homebase, so I wanted to be sure about using it as a Battlesite as well...

No. You can use a battlesite that contains a variant (IE: Sentinels/Bastion, Beast/Dark Beast) of someone on your team, but you may not include specials for that character.

Clones are absolutely forbidden. I can't use AoA Wolverine on my team, and use a site that houses Wolverine.

Clear as mud?   ;)

-BBH
On the homebase issue, you can't use variants of the listed character - so no using Dark Beast to replace Beast... but you can use the alternate clones. So in that case, using AoA Wolverine in place of regular Wolverine on my homebase IS legal.
ill ask here
if my avengers mansion team is
hulk(r) henry pym thor and vision
can i still use stark enterprises if i dont use captain america's  specials
since he is still on both locations

Demacus

I'm fairly sure you can use any battlesite, so long as a character from that site is not also on your active team.

Jack

Quote from: Demacus on March 05, 2012, 07:02:10 AM
I'm fairly sure you can use any battlesite, so long as a character from that site is not also on your active team.
This needs to be extended a bit: You can't have characters on your team that can play specials that could have been underneath the battlesite. So you can't have variant characters on your team, an example would be Beast/Dark Beast. Even if you leave out Dark Beast specials in the Sewers (who would?), you can't have Beast on your team because there was a possibility that Dark Beast's specials (and thus, Beast's) could be underneath the site.

For mixing Homebases/Battlesites, if there is a character being shared on both locations, the battlesite takes priority. So you can only have, in the case of Avenger's Mansion/Stark Enterprises, Captain America in Stark Enterprises and must form the Homebase with the remaining 5.

Demacus

Bios

Quote from: Jack on March 05, 2012, 11:21:44 AM
You can't have characters on your team that can play specials that could have been underneath the battlesite. So you can't have variant characters on your team, an example would be Beast/Dark Beast...
For mixing Homebases/Battlesites, if there is a character being shared on both locations, the battlesite takes priority.

Jack, could you tell where this rule clarification was available? Just don't remember reading it before

Demacus

I believe it was a rule from Monumental's rule book, slightly tweaked. If I recall, there was a rule that stated you could not use a battlesite if a hero on your team was among those listed. They probablly updated it with all the varients that came out of Classic, Image, X-men...

Jack

Quote from: Bios on March 06, 2012, 07:41:26 AM
You can't have characters on your team that can play specials that could have been underneath the battlesite. So you can't have variant characters on your team, an example would be Beast/Dark Beast...
For mixing Homebases/Battlesites, if there is a character being shared on both locations, the battlesite takes priority.

Jack, could you tell where this rule clarification was available? Just don't remember reading it before
I might have actually understood the rule wrong, it was mostly recollection from chats with my brother and BBH.

I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: From everything I've poked at, there's evidence that the opposite is true. Your characters take priority ahead of a battlesite. So if you were to build any deck with Beast/Dark Beast and use a battlesite that includes Beast/Dark Beast; as long as you keep Beast/Dark Beast out of the site, you're good.

Reference: http://overpower.ca/archive/wildchild/oprule-stormneutralized.html

And:
Quote from: OverPower FAQ9.16 Can I use Dark Beast as an Activator from the Battlesite of
Onslaught's Citadel while using Beast on my team?
No. Any Special which can (legally) be put in your Draw Pile may not be put in your
Battlesite Deck.

Though, I want to hear what BBH has to say...

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on March 06, 2012, 09:18:20 AM
If I am playing Storm: Neutralized on my team, can I still use the Sewer as my Battlesite?

Yes, but no non-OPD Morlock Special Cards may be played, as they can be put in the deck.

Reference: http://overpower.ca/archive/wildchild/oprule-stormneutralized.html

I think this may only be true because Storm's not actually on the Sewer Location, though... I'll certainly defer to some of the more experienced players, but it doesn't seem right that I can simply omit the use of certain activators, and then use any Battlesite I want...

I was intrigued and pleased to hear that I can put Morlock non-OPD specials under an X-World Battlesite, as long as I have Storm:Neutralized activators  8)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

EDIT: From everything I've poked at, there's evidence that the opposite is true. Your characters take priority ahead of a battlesite. So if you were to build any deck with Beast/Dark Beast and use a battlesite that includes Beast/Dark Beast; as long as you keep Beast/Dark Beast out of the site, you're good.
so i guess i am right (yes)

Jack

This is from Nick's site (http://overpower.ca/archive/ripayuheadoff2/part11.html):

QuoteThe first thing to consider when using a Battlesite is that the six characters listed on the Battlesite location may not be on your team, even as a clone.  If any of your four characters are listed on the Location you want to use as a Battlesite, then you may not use that as a Battlesite, or you must change your team.  Since Marvel Universe, Marvel Manhattan, and Omniverse do not have specific characters listed, they may NOT be used as a Battlesite.  If you are using a Homebase that has one or two characters that are also on the Battlesite, it is still legal to play that team as long as those characters are not part of your team.

BUT:

QuoteThis next part is a very rare occasion but still rather complicated to explain.  The best way to explain it is to give an example first.  Let's say you have Beast on your team and you want to use Onslaught's Citadel as your Battlesite which has Dark Beast.  Since Dark Beast can play Beast Specials and Beast is on your team, you may still use Onslaught's Citadel as a Battlesite but you are not allowed to put ANY Beast Specials under the Battlesite.  These two characters are considered to be variants.  They are not the same character but have access to the same Specials.  Because one character on your team may play Beast Specials, you are not allowed to have any of his Specials under the Battlesite.  Even if you are not using certain Specials in your Draw Pile, you may not have any under the Battlesite.  Sorry if I sounded like I was being redundant, but it is rather difficult to explain.

So...

Clones cannot be used, so no Beast in your deck with a Beast in the battlesite. But you're allowed to use Beast in your deck with a Dark Beast based battlesite as long as you don't put anything for Dark Beast in the site.

Confusing stuff indeed.

So, for a Morlocks/Storm: Neutralized setup, it makes sense, with the above rulings, Morlocks in your team and Storm in, say, X-World. As long as you don't put any Morlocks non-OPDs in your site, you're good. And likewise, Storm: Neutralized in your deck and Morlocks in Sewers, you can only have Morlock's OPD... possibly? And with Caliban and Sewers, you can't have any Morlocks specials in the site.

Bios

Damn! I cannot use my Bastion with Outback battlesite anymore...

If its a rule it should be followed, period! But it doesn't mean it cannot be criticized.

Besides its totally unnecessary, it is also so much confusing and it makes no sense at all...

"Hey, you can have Bastion in your team and play X-Man's EE and AR specials from Onslaught's Citadel, but you cannot put Sentinels' EE and AR Specials under Outback. Because, you know, Bastion can use that very same cards..."

The only reason why Bastion, Superpatriot or Torch's fake variant use someone else's specials is because someone was lazy enough to skip creating cards for them, with the lame excuse they have similar powers (oh yeah, and all fighters could share a "martial artist expert" special card).

>:( >:( >:(

Demacus

I'm with Bios. Dark Beast is different enough from Beast to have his own special cards. The same holds true for just about everyone who's not Golden Age Wolverine and Alien Symbiote Spider-Man. Even Jean Grey's normal specials feel a little weak compared to the unbridles power that the Darkk Phoenix wields.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on March 07, 2012, 05:42:54 PM
I'm with Bios. Dark Beast is different enough from Beast to have his own special cards. The same holds true for just about everyone who's not Golden Age Wolverine and Alien Symbiote Spider-Man. Even Jean Grey's normal specials feel a little weak compared to the unbridles power that the Darkk Phoenix wields.

Also, with the retcon, Dark Phoenix should really be a separate character anyway, right?  ???
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27