Battlesite questions - Activators and playing specials

Started by metaphist, April 03, 2011, 01:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metaphist

1. Can you have less activators than specials under the site? I assumed you could, but OPDeck seems to treat them as 1:1...

2. Some characters have the specials that can be combined with a power card for a single attack. Usually this is restricted by their grid if I'm not mistaken, but if using form a battlesite, are you still restricted to their grid?

Jack

1. One activator per special underneath the battlesite. No more, no less. In addition to this, you are allowed one Beyonder.

2. You assume the grid of the character who played the activator.

metaphist

Another question which I asked in the wrong thread...

If you play a battlesite special that has the other Character's name on it, as in "Silver Sable gets blah blah blah" do the effects transfer to the front line character playing it? Or are those specials generally unusable in a battlesite?

Jack

Most of the time, you replace the Character's name on the battlesite special with the Character's name whom activated it.

Putting in a card like the one below is legal, though, there are no battlesites with just Dazzler and no Longshot.

Putting in a card like this is probably legal as well, but that character would have to have specials called Explosive Pumpkins and Gauntlet Blasters if you even want to consider using this card. Just my interpretation as there are a few cards that have duplicate names.

You can probably play around with the Colonial Confusion cards...

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on April 03, 2011, 01:43:53 PM
1. One activator per special underneath the battlesite. No more, no less. In addition to this, you are allowed one Beyonder.

2. You assume the grid of the character who played the activator.

So, if I'm use Danger Room as a Battlesite for my Department H team, and Wolverine plays Iceman's AE-coded card from that Battlesite, I can't combine it with a level 8 Fighting Power card?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

When did I say that? Wolverine is making that attack and he can do whatever he wants. The character who played the activator is on your team. For the activators, their grid never matters, their icons only matter for the purposes of discards/usability.

And there are characters that have their AE's follow-up linked to their highest stat. Deadpool is one that comes to mind. 4E+7F is awesome. I've pulled off a 12 at our last meetup.

metaphist

Quote from: Jack on April 04, 2011, 01:56:03 AMAnd there are characters that have their AE's follow-up linked to their highest stat. Deadpool is one that comes to mind. 4E+7F is awesome. I've pulled off a 12 at our last meetup.

That's one of the main reasons I asked the question. Most character don't have their highest stat available for those specials, so a battle site is one way to get a 12's out of someone who normally couldn't.

Jack

Perfectly legal. Magneto and Jean Grey have AE (though Any-Power) when they have an 8 stat. It's just unfortunate for those who have AE's with their lowest stats (Doc Samson is a very cruel example).

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on April 04, 2011, 01:56:03 AM
When did I say that? Wolverine is making that attack and he can do whatever he wants. The character who played the activator is on your team. For the activators, their grid never matters, their icons only matter for the purposes of discards/usability.

And there are characters that have their AE's follow-up linked to their highest stat. Deadpool is one that comes to mind. 4E+7F is awesome. I've pulled off a 12 at our last meetup.

Sorry, with the second point, I think I must've mis-read it. When you said,

Quote2. You assume the grid of the character who played the activator.

I think I was reading that Wolverine would assume Iceman's grid.

To quote the great Gilda Radner, "Well, that's different, then... Never mind!"
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

metaphist

Can clone characters' specials be used in a Battlesite? As in using Beast specials under Age of Apocalypse which houses Dark Beast. Seems like a dumb question, but I assumed you can't use Beast instead of Dark Beast in the team when using it as a Homebase, so I wanted to be sure about using it as a Battlesite as well...

BigBadHarve

Quote from: metaphist on April 05, 2011, 08:37:05 AM
Can clone characters' specials be used in a Battlesite? As in using Beast specials under Age of Apocalypse which houses Dark Beast. Seems like a dumb question, but I assumed you can't use Beast instead of Dark Beast in the team when using it as a Homebase, so I wanted to be sure about using it as a Battlesite as well...

No. You can use a battlesite that contains a variant (IE: Sentinels/Bastion, Beast/Dark Beast) of someone on your team, but you may not include specials for that character.

Clones are absolutely forbidden. I can't use AoA Wolverine on my team, and use a site that houses Wolverine.

Clear as mud?   ;)

-BBH
On the homebase issue, you can't use variants of the listed character - so no using Dark Beast to replace Beast... but you can use the alternate clones. So in that case, using AoA Wolverine in place of regular Wolverine on my homebase IS legal.

metaphist

So the bottom line is:

Variants are allowed in the Battlesite, clones are not
Clones are allowed in the Homebase, variants are not
No clone OR variant activators allowed in your deck

But what I really want to know is this: say I'm not using Beast or any variant on my team, but I have Age of Apocalypse Battlesite. Can I use the Dark Beast activators with Beast specials? Or is Dark Beast listed on the location for Homebase pairing only, and not Battlesite special use?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: metaphist on April 05, 2011, 11:02:23 AM
So the bottom line is:

Variants are allowed in the Battlesite, clones are not
Clones are allowed in the Homebase, variants are not
No clone OR variant activators allowed in your deck

But what I really want to know is this: say I'm not using Beast or any variant on my team, but I have Age of Apocalypse Battlesite. Can I use the Dark Beast activators with Beast specials? Or is Dark Beast listed on the location for Homebase pairing only, and not Battlesite special use?

Yes, you can use Dark Beast activators for Beast Specials.

That actually brings up another point - you can use any special usable by a legal activator. Which gives you more bang for your buck when using a site that has Storm on it.

If you use Storm: Neutralized as activators, then you are allowed to put in Morlocks non-OPDs into your battlesite. The ratio is still one activator for one special, but instead of Storm specials, you can substitute the Morlocks cards.

-BBH

Palatinus

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 05, 2011, 11:15:22 AM
Yes, you can use Dark Beast activators for Beast Specials.

That actually brings up another point - you can use any special usable by a legal activator. Which gives you more bang for your buck when using a site that has Storm on it.

If you use Storm: Neutralized as activators, then you are allowed to put in Morlocks non-OPDs into your battlesite. The ratio is still one activator for one special, but instead of Storm specials, you can substitute the Morlocks cards.

-BBH

This whole topic has been helpful, but this in particular is a really nice piece of information.  I am always thinking of how to capitalize on Storm:  Neutralized and this seems like the best way.

Jack

For anyone wondering, I've done the look up and there doesn't exist another character that has the property like Storm: Neutralized in a battlesite.