Just for the record

Started by BasiliskFang, July 12, 2014, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasiliskFang

I am currently on day 44 of waiting for nish_au's deck in the mail.

As seen here: http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/general-discussion/my-op-deck-might-sell-it/

I sent him $30 for postage.

It is coming by sea mail and weighs over 1kg. It included his deck and a handful of rares.

We have been communicating via email on and off since he closed the thread.

He sent on may 29 2014 and has emailed me a receipt showing postage paid for zone 4 usa.

drdeath25

30 dollars and all you got was sea-mail? Did it at least have a tracking number for you to track it?

44 Days seems excessive.

chuu

I just shipped a 6kg package the size of a printer paper box for $45..and it had $200 insurance and 4 day delivery...

That shipping cost is excessive even from Australia.

I think that deal was too good to be true...I almost put in an offer for it myself..

BlueFire

I have had similar items take two months from Japan. 

No question this isn't looking good, but don't give up hope yet.

BasiliskFang

the Australian post website said estimated delivery is 2-3 months. should have put the extra $5 for air mail lol.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/sea-mail.html

But I will have a couple cards to sell soon: Any 8 - Image, AH - Power Leech, AH - Bastion.

Tussin

i got something shipped from brazil, took about a month to get here =[

NinjaGaiden2

Words from the wise. Never ever purchase from people without using ebay because paypal will just rip you off. If you use escrow then that's a different situation but just using paypal for buying cards can hurt you in the long run trust me. I bought some boxes long ago from a site that had many nice overpower factory sealed stuff and when I got the items they were a total mess and wreck but because the person purchased a tracking an had insurance on the items mailed to me he was covered and I was not. I repeat again only buy on ebay that has a better buyers protection than the seller has.

TGW

I've purchased plenty of items both related to OverPower and non-related, ranging from the cheap ($15-50) to a little over $1,000+ all non-eBay purchases. Yeah, I've purchased plenty on eBay over the years as well, and while they do offer great protection for the buyer, it's not all sunshine and roses either.

A big factor when it comes to purchasing from a message board such as this is familiarity with the seller. I've had multiple transactions with Jack, for example, and he's more than come through each time. I've also had other posters on this board hook me up with deals and even free cards, and it was all done off eBay.

I can't speak for the seller that may have ripped off BasiliskFang, but I can say that a large contingency of active posters are from the East coast, Canada/Buffalo area OP players who meet up for casual play and tournaments in person on a consistent basis. A poster like Bluefire who is offering a great price on box sets is trust worthy. He isn't just some guy that showed up out of the blue that no one knows and started to rip people off.

Deals on OverPower on eBay are starting to become rare. While the game isn't fully revived, it is still being played by several fairly dedicated groups that seem to be buying up all of the good product on eBay. If you want a box of DC Starters or Original OP boxes, you'll find plenty on eBay, but you are rarely coming across the big name sets at discount prices. Stick with this forum first when looking for cards/boxes, and move onto eBay if you can't find what you're looking for. Ask around the site and you'll find out who the regulars are, try to avoid overseas transactions as they can be very risky, but all in all, don't be afraid to buy something if it's not on eBay. I sell product on the side on eBay and have for over 15 years, and while I make some decent coin, take it from me, eBay is very overrated and has pathetic customer service when you come across the occasional frustrating issue.

BasiliskFang

QuoteHey man, I've never done this big of a transaction with a new person especially overseas.

Can you take a picture with the cards next to a crumpled piece of paper with the word Negation written.

Do you have any feedback online? I can show you ebay and gametz feedback where I've been a member of for 5 or more years.

picture:

QuoteDear Extinct Thief,

Firstly, thank you very much for the picture.

If we did it through eBay you would keep the same price? if seems like they take 15% or so.

honestly, i'd love to have the cards. its just hard parting with $XXX and to someone who only joined the forums 5 weeks ago.

I've been a part of the overpower online community for 2 years and have regular posts and meetings. im sure there's at least 2 guys who can vouch for me in trades/sales and 2 who can say ive met them and didn't steal. (i'll get you a list if you want)

personally, here's where im at, my first week off after finals, looking through my various collections for items to sell to to get $XXX (not that I don't have the money but just so i can see this purchase as exchanging some of my goods for your goods).

and i'm 100% willing to buy from you, I just don't know you that well.

if only there was some sort of escrow for trading cards, lol. maybe there is some sort of traveler's checks or something, like i said I've never done a transaction this big overseas.

would you be willing to take a payment for shipping ($30) and the rest when i get the cards?

have you looked into insurance for the shipment? that might be something i would be interested in.

sincerely - I am REALLY interested,
Jon Hernandez

QuoteI guess i can do the postage first, rest later thing. Since i am the outsider.

last we spoke, it still hasn't come...he told me the postal worker said it could take up to 4 months. which would mean late September.

chuu

so he sent you cards without money up front? sounds like he's screwed more than you...unless he didn't really send at all, then you're just out $30...

NinjaGaiden2

Another con artist. Just shows don't believe the forums or websites. Stick with ebay as a buyer and you will always make it on top!

shawn_low

I shuttle between Singapore and Australia (my two homes!) and am familiar with Australia Post. I've never shipped surface UNLESS the buyer wants it and understands the risks.

It can take up to 3 months for items to get to you.

Check the Auspost surface mail page for more details: It says 2 to 3 months and this has been my experience as well.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/sea-mail.html

For something worth a few hundred bucks, I'd have shelled out a little more for airmail (10-14 days from experience) plus there's the option of tracking which surface mail doesn't.

PS: Auspost is pretty expensive. It is on the arse end of the world. :) You can check costs via the Auspost calculator:
http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html

PPS: I don't know the seller but just trying to play devil's advocate before the pitchforks actually come out.

BasiliskFang

im ok with the $30 risk. last year i lost $45 trying to buy a discount phone card from ebay.

i limit myself to 1 risky transaction per year. lol

when i was 17 it was original xbox parts.

when i was 20 it was a limited edition clear xbox for a collector friend in japan.

shawn_low

@ Basiliskfang.

Lol. This is your risk for the year sorted then!

But I'm pretty sure the seller seems legit and you will get the cards...eventually.

Note that the period of opening Paypal disputes is 45 days but if you use a credit card, you could still go back to the credit card company if you don't get your cards.

Good luck!

BasiliskFang

thanks for the comment.

i also don't think the seller would stay in contact with me past the 45 days, asking if i got them yet, if he never sent them.

unless he is a really good actor.