BornAgain79

Started by Onslaught, February 17, 2011, 08:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslaught

This guy is one of the two major e-bay sellers (the other being The Orange King), and I'd recommend staying away from him. He shipped me the wrong stuff, and when I pointed out that he had sent me powercards from a different set than what I had ordered, his response was along the lines of "so what they all play the same." This is despite the fact that he charges different prices for each set's powercards...

The other stuff he sent me was scuffed up/heavily played, and when I pointed this out he basically said "well it's a 15 year old game, no cards are mint."

So, avoid him if you can! I'm pretty sure nobody reads this section of the boards though.

gameplan.exe

huh. I've purchased lots and lots of cards from this guy and didn't have much trouble. Considering how cheap I was able to get stuff, I thought it was a steal, really. He has a website and I gave him an offer on 90-some cards. He accepted the offer (even though it was at about 70% his listed price) and he did send me all the right cards.
He disclosed up front that his only Bastion was pretty worn out, and so reduced its price further.
I don't know, there was some give and take.
Orange King is definitely more professional, but he's also more expensive and he will not negotiate his prices at all.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

i assume he's at least going to offer to send you the right power cards (you wanted PS and got OP i assume)

he also claims that all cards are in good condition and have never been played with, so if you bought through ebay, maybe you can use that...

Kal-el

I've had good luck with him, but I think I've only bought complete boxes from him, so I can't comment on the condition problem.

It looks like he just joined the forums, so maybe you'll get a response.

Palatinus

I actually messaged bornagain on ebay and asked him to join the forums.  I thought it would be a good idea to have a better connection between the people still selling Overpower and the buying community.  I am glad people have posted their experiences because I believe this is very helpful to people looking to make purchases but also gives the seller a chance to see how people feel about their purchases and maybe do a better job if they see an unhappy customer.

Onslaught

Since this seems to have become a general feedback thread, here's some more insight:

-Orange King's stuff is usually at a premium price, but it's always been in good condition. The one time he did send me the wrong stuff (once out of like 18 orders), he immediately shipped the right stuff with two day shipping within 24 hours.

-MarvelOverpower.com has a lot of singles for less popular stuff, which is nice if you happen to just need one or two obscure specials for a battlesite

-Trollandtoad.com is a pretty big CCG retailer, and it looks like they have slowly but surely been putting Overpower cards into their database. Currently they are all at 0 stock, but it would be cool if they started selling them some time soon

drdeath25

I am looking to make a large specific purchase of Overpower cards soon, as i have a complete 2nd set of any-hero's just sitting around (just collecting.... dust) and need some additional cards for the deck i want to put them in. The last time I did a purchase like this, it was a $400+ purchase through the Orange King, and he was VERY PROFESSIONAL, sent me tons of additional items, and even gave me a large discount over his ebay prices, since i was purchasing in bulk. I have nothing but great things to say about Larry Van Etten.

I find this post interesting because i was looking on ebay and saw that BornAgain69 matches his prices. So i was going to get a quote from Larry on the cards I needed, and send it to BA69 to see if he could accommodate me cheaper. But now that I see reports here that he is sending cards the wrong cards, and that the cards he does send are in bad shape by multiple people on this board, I will probably just stick with the Orange King since he has been great in the past.

From what I am hearing here, It's really disappointing to see Internet Scammers enter the realm of Overpower. Anyone reading this who sells cards over the internet....Please sell your cards as advertised! If you happen to make an honest mistake during the sale, please fix the error immediately for your customer! Professionalism goes a long way into getting a return customer or even a lifelong customer.

Thank you for posting this information, Onslaught. I was seriously considering sending an e-mail to this guy to buy a large amount from this scammer, but now i know to stay away. Let us know how he continues to handle this situation, and if he ever does actually send you the cards your paid him for.

BigBadHarve

I've ordered from him only the one time, but had absolutely no problems. My cards were in good condition and shipped promptly. I too usually go with Orange King, but I also know Larry from back in the tournament days.

Caesar1 on Ebay is also top notch, I'll often order from him too. Only once did I receive an order which was missing cards, and he immediately packed up the missing items and fired them off to me.

I wouldn't go so far as to refer to anyone as a scam just because they made a mistake, but see what happens as far as correcting the problem is concerned.

-BBH

drdeath25

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 18, 2011, 09:30:52 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to refer to anyone as a scam just because they made a mistake, but see what happens as far as correcting the problem is concerned.

-BBH

That is the problem, by Onslaught's description he is saying that BA is basically doing nothing to fix this problem. Unless I am wrong, Onslaught is saying that he has contacted BA regarding this problem, and BA's response was an excuse for a reason to not fix the problem. I want to see if BA is going to send him the correct cards he ordered, offer him a refund for the cards, ect. I am awaiting to hear if this problem will get fixed or not, because it will have a large impact on where I, and other overpower players reading this purchase their cards from in the future. So Onslaught or BornAgain (welcome to this board), please chime in with what is being done to rectify this situation, if anything.

I just think this is a terrible thing, and since I have been trading cards to people on the internet since mission control, i know what it is like to be "scammed" or "ripped off", since that type of activity was rampant back then before there were sites that offered "feedback" and "good trader lists".  Basically, I just think this is just not a cool thing to do to someone at all, and im very concered that one of the biggest sellers of this game I love so much would treat his customers in this fashion.

Imagine if you ordered a set of the original promo any-heroes from me, and I sent you a set of mission control any-heroes, then you e-mailed me to point out that i sent you the wrong cards (when I charged you the price for the original set, and I list the price of the mission control set as cheaper than you paid me), and my response to you was "so what, they all play the same". There is DEFINITELY A PROBLEM with that in my eyes. And from his description that is basically what happened to Onslaught here.

But once again, I am hoping to hear soon that this situation has been fixed and that both parties are happy with their transaction. Someone please let us know an update.

rucker73

I too have had many dealings with both BornAgain and The Orange King, and I have had no issues with either of them. 

I do find that The Orange King is much more professional in his dealings but I liked that fact that BornAgain was willing to trade as well as just sell. (although I found that he definitely over-values what he has to what you are offering, but so do most dealers)

They both have their own pros and cons.

I have also purchased from Ceasar1 and CCTLander with no issues from ebay.
"Wade! into action!"

CoS

I have purchased from TOK, BA, and C1 all via e-bay. All have been very professional with me. Only one had a mixed up order they immediatly re-sent with the missing cards. I would be willing to continue to buy from all 3.

Nate Grey

Guess I will add my experience with these vendors:

BornAgain79 has been my main supplier of Overpower cards. He always has matched any cheaper price I have found online, including against OrangeKing (who usually always has higher prices for the majority of cards I've wanted). BA ships promptly and I only had one instance where he sent me a wrong card but he quickly sent me the correct one after I informed him about it. The cards he sent me always appear to be in good shape but I must admit I don't really inspect them all that well. Usually I am just happy to have them. He's always given me free shipping and small discounts for being a loyal customer.

Caesar1 I've ordered from a couple of times and have always been happy with his service. He packages really well with my cards placed in durable sleeves and in a small box filled with packaging material. That has really impressed me. He also ships promptly.

Jack

I've done business with BornAgain79 before. My purchases, from what I remember, were accurate and shipped promptly and at low prices with me being in Canada. I've also traded with him and he over-valued his own cards compared to mine; which, as rucker73 said, is common practice among dealers. Cards arrived in excellent condition from what I remember. He also contacted me for the sale of a Malebolgia hero after asking 5-6 months prior to be on his wait list, again, good condition.

Though, I'm not fond of his recent business practices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200576531519

I'm sure that's a borderline illegal posting on eBay, even if he did offer the 1E Nebula stated at the very bottom.

--
I've also purchased cards from theorangeking, probably the bulk of my OverPower purchases are with him. I never had a problem with him with any purchases. One thing I would say is that his shipping prices are a bit expensive to Canada. Don't think I ever received a bad condition card from theorangeking.

For caesar1, again, great service and only had a few mistaken cards in shipments. The most recent was a Serpent Society - Anaconda that was supposed to be ASP. After notifying him of the mistake, he shipped out ASP for free and without me sending back Anaconda.

I've also done business with spidergem, justabgkid, nanto112233, theray7 to name a few.

Bornagain79

Quote from: Onslaught on February 17, 2011, 08:03:55 PM
This guy is one of the two major e-bay sellers (the other being The Orange King), and I'd recommend staying away from him. He shipped me the wrong stuff, and when I pointed out that he had sent me powercards from a different set than what I had ordered, his response was along the lines of "so what they all play the same." This is despite the fact that he charges different prices for each set's powercards...

The other stuff he sent me was scuffed up/heavily played, and when I pointed this out he basically said "well it's a 15 year old game, no cards are mint."

So, avoid him if you can! I'm pretty sure nobody reads this section of the boards though.

It helps to get all the facts straight and hear both sides of a story.   Cards were in great condition.  I've been selling for 15 years, and have never had a complaint about the quality of the cards.  I've also bought more overpower cards off Orange King than any other person on the planet.  If you want near mint cards and sloppy shipping, along with higher prices, go ahead and buy off him.  I charged this guy 25 cents for a lot of cards I usually charge $1 for.  I gave him a great deal, and now he cries about it.  As for the powersurge vs. original power cards, I did not see that he wanted powersurge cards.  I appologized to him, and never heard anything in return.  I charge the exact same price for the powersurge and the original, so it makes no difference which ones I ship.  Had I paid more attention and saw he wanted the PS ones, I would have shipped him those.  I try to give someone a good deal, and this is what happens.

Onslaught

Hahaha, are you a child?

QuoteCards were in great condition.

Here is a sample of the cards you sent. I think we have a different definition of "great condition."

The crease is a lot more noticeable in person than this picture suggests. All of the other cards are really white around the borders too, and the hero cards have chunks missing along the sides.

QuoteIve also bought more overpower cards off Orange King than any other person on the planet.  If you want near mint cards and sloppy shipping, along with higher prices, go ahead and buy off him.

In the process of defending yourself, you try to slip in a jab at a competitor? Pathetic.

QuoteI charged this guy 25 cents for a lot of cards I usually charge $1 for.  I gave him a great deal, and now he cries about it.

If you normally charge a dollar for them, then why did the prices on your website say 25 cents? Thanks for the great "bargain" of giving me cards at your listed price. It's also cute that you consider a friendly warning to fellow OP shoppers to be "crying."

QuoteAs for the powersurge vs. original power cards, I did not see that he wanted powersurge cards.  I appologized to him, and never heard anything in return.

Now you've gone from silly statements to just outright lying. You never apologized, nor did you offer to rectify the situation.

QuoteI charge the exact same price for the powersurge and the original, so it makes no difference which ones I ship.

More outright lying:

This thread was originally just a heads up to let people know that you had a dismissive attitude about the condition of cards/rectifying incorrect orders. I just wanted people to know that there was a possibility of dissatisfaction when purchasing from you. It probably wasn't going to make you lose any business, but now I think your terrible post has done a better job convincing people to not buy from you than I ever could have. Not only did you handle the situation poorly, you then gave a pissy response that was filled with falsehoods. Maybe you should spend more time paying attention to sending out the correct cards in an order and less time putting up idiotic auctions like this one.